Author Topic: Audio File Converter (free)  (Read 18583 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Audio File Converter (free)
« on: November 21, 2009, 06:18:11 PM »
Looking for a free legitimate one to convert 15-20 of MY OWN files.  Some how Windows got to them before I could. %^&*ing Windows!

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Audio File Converter (free)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:01 PM »
I think you can use Audacity, i know you can do a lot of crap with audio files with that program but not sure about converting.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 07:56:16 PM »
Nope.  That's exactly why I need them converted. Audacity won't let me upload them.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 08:42:25 PM »
I haven't used it in years but does WinAmp do conversions? I know it can play every audio format out there.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2009, 10:54:04 PM »
Nope.  That's exactly why I need them converted. Audacity won't let me upload them.

I'm kinda confused over what you actually want to accomplish.  What do you need to do then we can suggest something.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2009, 11:19:14 PM »
Convert a WMA file to MP3 or WAV. The converters you find on a Google search you have to pay for a full version other wise you won't get the entire file converted or there's a "watermark".  I used to use Winamp too, does anyone know if that would work?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2009, 11:34:30 PM »
Did you rip a CD with Media player?  I believe you can set it to rip to mp3 instead of wma.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2009, 12:02:24 AM »
Yeah, Mo, you can.

Other than Mo's scenario, I don't see how you have audio files in that format unless you used Windows Media Player. Don't use Windows Media Player. Problem solved. Record with Audacity instead, rip with winamp or another player, or rip to mp3 with WMP if you insist on using the piece of crap.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 09:33:22 AM »
In the Winamp features it doesn't say anything about converting only that it lists 55 different formats it supports.  In searches I've found that you can convert Winamp files to MP3.

Other than Mo's scenario, I don't see how you have audio files in that format unless you used Windows Media Player. Don't use Windows Media Player. Problem solved. Record with Audacity instead, rip with winamp or another player, or rip to mp3 with WMP if you insist on using the piece of crap.
I'll take that as a no.

Did you rip a CD with Media player?  I believe you can set it to rip to mp3 instead of wma.
No, not ripped with a cd player.  Just 15-20 files on my pc that I can't upload to Audacity because they're WMA.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 11:35:39 AM »
i just typed "free audio file converter" in google and this came up http://www.nch.com.au/switch/ looks like you could use that.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »
In the Winamp features it doesn't say anything about converting only that it lists 55 different formats it supports.  In searches I've found that you can convert Winamp files to MP3.
I'll take that as a no.
No, not ripped with a cd player.  Just 15-20 files on my pc that I can't upload to Audacity because they're WMA.
I wasn't talking about using Winamp to convert. I was talking about using it to rip.

You said your own files. I assumed you were talking about files that were yours... not files you got from someone else or from the internet. If you created them, then you made them in WMA. If they came from somewhere else, then I understand you wanting a converter.

I highly recommend Blaze Media Pro, as I use it all the time for many things. It converts audio and video files, allows you to edit videos, rip, burn, make cd images, etc.

You have to pay for it, but it has a 15 day free trial if you just want to use it to convert the files and then discard it.

Make sure when you convert files of any type to test them after converting BEFORE you delete the originals. Sometimes things screw up and you need to convert again, or sometimes the converter does a poor job. Converting anything usually makes whatever it is lose quality, so expect that. It may or may not be noticeable.

Edit: Here's a link: http://www.blazemp.com/

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2009, 04:34:42 PM »
Yes! Thanks HeLL all done!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 03:45:35 AM »
Well, I'm glad I could help even though I'm still not sure how you initially put yourself in that predicament.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 02:38:11 PM »
Well, I'm glad I could help even though I'm still not sure how you initially put yourself in that predicament.

It's a mystery I'm sure will remained unsolved until the end of time itself.