Author Topic: Okay I give up.....  (Read 15633 times)

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
Okay I give up.....
« on: November 01, 2009, 12:58:50 PM »
Okay so I give up nothing seems to be going right and and can't wrap my mind around it. 3 out of 5 computers in my house are no out of commission  and I can't seem to fix them I don't know if I'm still suffering from the flu or what ever but I find my self frustraited and ready to just throw the machines out the window rather than look at them for another moment.

I have two laptops both down

First laptop I know is beyond repair as it is a graphics card issue and its intergraded on the mobo ( though if anyone can tell me if there is a way to access the HDD I would apprieciate it)

Second Laptop something went wrong couple of days ago and it started rebooting itself in on start up a blue screen flashed so fast I couldnt see what it would say and reboot I started a reinstall of the OS only for my instalation disk to for some reason not work so i get my hands on just an iso install and try that and find out that my key wont work .... this prolly has somthing to do with it being a dell laptop but than I try another key off a dead computer and still no go so yeah

and the newest the computer I borrowed untill I can get my new one built or purchased the one I play Guildwars is now no longer booting I turned it off last night before I went to bed came out around 11:30 this morning hit the power key only to recive one long beep and than nothing and it repeats one long beep every few seconds no graphics display no anything else

so relizing I am no cursed with tech. I turn to some one who might have a working brain and a bit more patients than I can seem to muster right now

Calia

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Okay I give up.....
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2009, 01:11:06 PM »
Okay with a bit more tinkering seeing as google was worthless I finally get it to go to a boot screen only to tell me the cpu fan stoped working and shut itself down

so at least I know what is wrong I guess :S

second update after soem tinkering again I have come to find that the cpu fan is running fine as i booted without the case covering the computer to see but the psu fan is sputtering about....

Calia
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 01:28:52 PM by Calia »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2009, 06:04:32 PM »
Looks like it's almost time for a new laptop :)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »
There's not much we can suggest without seeing them ourselves, to be perfectly honest.

The most you can do is keep at it, and I mean that; because it takes something to break before you can learn how to fix it. Even if in the end you cannot fix it, you may still learn from it. As frustrating and painful a process it may be, that is what my experience has been.

I am only so efficient at routing out viruses from having had them in the first place. The same applies in other areas of computer malfunction.

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2009, 08:34:27 PM »
There's not much we can suggest without seeing them ourselves, to be perfectly honest.

The most you can do is keep at it, and I mean that; because it takes something to break before you can learn how to fix it. Even if in the end you cannot fix it, you may still learn from it. As frustrating and painful a process it may be, that is what my experience has been.

I am only so efficient at routing out viruses from having had them in the first place. The same applies in other areas of computer malfunction.

Oh I know don't get me wrong I am all for figuring things out and learning and I understand I didn't post a lot of information to start with I was just really really frustrated and tired when I made that post which sadly hasn't changed much still yet and wont until i get feeling better :(

let me try and supply you with more info off the top of my head seeing as I am not at home.

the first laptop I know it is dead it is a HP pavilion dv6000 series and on boot has 1 long beep and three short beeps ( letting me know my graphics card is dead and it is inter-graded so mobo is now dead ) the HDD in it has a hook up that I have never seen before as it oddly hooks into pins mounted on the mobo or some craziness so I have been trying to find out if there was just away for my to gain access to the HDD to get some data and unreplacable pics of family.

the second laptop is a dell inspiron 8200 ( I think) and it had an issue that it would boot 0.5 second blue screen and reboot and continue this process until powered off. I killed the OS partition to do a fresh install ( nothing of value was stored on the laptop thankfully) and my dell installation disc decided to start throwing random errors at me :( mainly it has to do with several files not being able to be copied I continued the installation without files and it booted up, at this point I thought I would be good on getting replacement files and such but a log-in box appeared ( it than dawned on me it didn't ask me to set up users) and it was listed as Administrator i tried every password i could think of Admin, Administrator, password left it blank and nothing and I tried variations of those words as well so I'm sitting on that one atm just trying to get it up and running its mainly only used for web browsing anyways.

the last is the desk top  I have been using it is a Compaq I have no idea on the model as it is not mine.
  worked fine up until this morning I hit the power button and get one long beep a pause and the same long beep a pause and so on and so forth.
  I once got it to display a error message stating that the CPU fan had failed and it was powering off and it did so I unhooked the CPU fan unplugged it pulled it out cleaned it with air and such re-spliced a already spliced section of its wiring ( don't ask as I have no clue why) and re-installed it
  I left the case off hit the power button same beep but!!!!! the CPU fan ran the whole time? ( is it not suppose to stop spinning if its failed?) but I noticed the PSU fan just kinda sitting there wanting to spin but not being able to. so I thought maybe it was that pulled it cleaned it no idea if it is or not and googling the beep code ( if that was what it even is) turned up no results with PSU or CPU
that is all the farther I got before I had to come to work ( which is where I am now) if it is the PSU is there anything I need to know about replacement besides that its a AMD MoBo and the old PSU is a 350wat. and I think the connecting pin to the mobo is only a 4pin connection though I could be wrong trying to picture it in my head.

Calia

Looks like it's almost time for a new laptop :)

I don't think so laptops are nothing but a pain in my behind I have no reason for one until I go back to school and than I may just get a mini so I want be so distracted to do other things besides use it to take notes and such. :P

Calia
« Last Edit: November 01, 2009, 08:36:19 PM by Calia »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2009, 08:55:43 PM »
What I meant wasn't that there was insufficient information, but rather that it'd be very difficult for anyone to help you in this situation without being there hands on.

That laptop doesn't even sound worth replacing. lol I can't really help you via replacement... I don't do laptops. I could probably figure it out if I were there to look at it, but otherwise the only work I've had to do on laptops has only been software related. I can tell you that you need a lot more information regarding the motherboard and it's compatibility with all the other hardware, as well as your PSU needing to be compatible as well. Not sure if laptop PSU's are different than desktop PSU's in that regard or not.

One place to look for info is Newegg's knowledge base. They list helpful forums and other resources that may be of use. (including their own forum)

Whether it would be helpful or not, I don't know.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/ExternalLinks.aspx

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2009, 10:23:10 PM »
I always think of laptops as those TV/VCR combos.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2009, 11:39:54 PM »
Bring your HDD to any PC repair shop and they will be able to get your data off of it.  It's probably an IDE connection.

As for the Compaq, maybe you can disable the halt on fan warning to get it to boot but if your PSU fan is stuck that would be a big problem.