Author Topic: What is everyone playing  (Read 186737 times)

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
Re: What is everyone playing
« Reply #330 on: January 07, 2016, 09:14:50 PM »
It also has a module creator. So you + a group of 4 (you being the DM) can run the module. It seems pretty interesting. Character creation is a little weird, the look isn't stellar. But once in the game, the game looks great. It reminds me of Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. Play style wise, more similar to Icewind Dale.

The module creator isn't as powerful a tool as the Toolset in NWN was, and honestly I expect modern releases to look like modern releases. The graphics looked like they could have predated NWN.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #331 on: January 07, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »
The module creator isn't as powerful a tool as the Toolset in NWN was, and honestly I expect modern releases to look like modern releases. The graphics looked like they could have predated NWN.

I agree that the module creator isn't as powerful of a tool. But with the way the game was designed, it was never meant to be. I do, however, disagree with you regarding the graphics. They are way more fluid and detailed than NWN and NWN2. The areas are much more dynamic and have a lot of detail. You might be looking back at NWN with rose tinted glasses. I still play NWN and while it's still one of the best games of all time, it does look it's age.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 12, 2016, 01:03:41 PM »
I've been clocking more hours of Warhammer: Vermintide lately. Fun co-op first-person hack and slash, definitely quite enjoyable. The player base is relatively small though, so you sometimes have to really hit peak hours to find a party to play with if you aren't playing with people you know.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #333 on: March 12, 2016, 10:08:03 PM »
I just got done with a game called Betrayer, which was a neat little title I found on Steam for $10. It was worth the $10, I enjoyed it, but it was also a bit weird. It had a RPG/Adventure mix, classified as Action Adventure, and the fact that you didn't gain any skills or levels or anything by the end of the game was slightly irritating, because enemies got stronger and you didn't, but with the better and better weapons, it was beatable. I'd recommend to anyone looking to pick it up, especially if you kind of like a bit of a horror setting with your games and if you like stealth and adventure.

I also played the piss out of Victor Vran. Which is, no Diablo, definitely not Path of Exile, but still a really sweet action rpg title that I picked up off of Steam for $6 and almost have 80 hours in. I still intend to play more of it yet as well. I highly recommend this title. Especially for it's low cost, you literally can't go wrong buying it. Normally it's $20, it's worth that. I'd wait for it to come on sale again to buy it, but not because it isn't worth it if you don't.

I am now (finally) re-playing Skyrim with mods. I haven't been afforded the opportunity to play it on PC, and have been long awaiting the chance. I beat a lot of the game on the 360, but have struggled periodically with getting mods working correctly on PC, to the point of saying fuck-it and moving on to something else. Finally with a lot of the much-needed updated mods have had since I last tried, everything is working smoothly and I'm loving it. lol, and some people think there's actually something better about playing console vs. pc. Morons.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #334 on: March 13, 2016, 12:29:38 PM »
Throbble got a game on Steam called The Talos Principle last weekend for $10 (it was 75% off). Reminiscent of the first person puzzle games like Myst.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #335 on: March 13, 2016, 05:15:19 PM »
I've seen the trailer for that one, looked interesting, but I wasn't sure it was up my alley. Figured I'd pick it up sometime eventually if it was cheap enough.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
I may get into the Division.  Friend of mine has a Ubisoft discount to get it for $25...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #337 on: March 15, 2016, 10:07:35 PM »
Yeah, I popped that onto my Wishlist, looks good.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #338 on: March 30, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »
Just got into the DOOM closed beta. Starts tomorrow (3/31) and ends Sunday (4/3).

Time to give my Geforce 980 GTX a real test.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #339 on: April 02, 2016, 06:09:29 PM »
Just got into the DOOM closed beta. Starts tomorrow (3/31) and ends Sunday (4/3).

Time to give my Geforce 980 GTX a real test.

Let us know...Meanwhile this Stardew Valley game looks pretty fun. Might pick it up when it goes on sale.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #340 on: April 03, 2016, 12:46:53 AM »
I've seen that. It looks horrid to me, I don't see the appeal.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2016, 12:41:43 PM »
Let us know...Meanwhile this Stardew Valley game looks pretty fun. Might pick it up when it goes on sale.
DOOM was fun but it was just team deathmatch, no single player, and only a couple maps.

There is a leveling system that allows you to unlock special consumables like placing an icon on the player that killed you that you can see from anywhere on the map. Reminded me a lot of Quake 3: Team Arena.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #342 on: April 11, 2016, 05:34:39 PM »
DOOM was fun but it was just team deathmatch, no single player, and only a couple maps.

There is a leveling system that allows you to unlock special consumables like placing an icon on the player that killed you that you can see from anywhere on the map. Reminded me a lot of Quake 3: Team Arena.

I know people really looking forward to that game.  I think I'll pass on FPS now.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #343 on: April 12, 2016, 06:05:31 PM »
I've been playing real life while waiting for the Overwatch open beta to start. Not much time for games really. And I'm in the process of job hunting, so there is that!

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #344 on: April 16, 2016, 11:00:47 AM »
Hi everybody,

Currently waiting for a job to start so I came back home to play some games.  I picked up on Steam/Origin ME 1-3 and Far Cry 1-3 discounted.  My friend and I have also started new characters in GW 1 but that's moving very slow they like to kill everything.  There's some Minecraft, creative mode and like always I play some Diablo1 and Doom 1-2 on the side.

ME 1 was off to a frustrating start. The poorly timed cut-scenes and ambushes were really frustrating and the depth of the consequences of your choices in dialogue was hard to tell and I was far into the game when I realized that if I took a hard line approach to most conversations, either paragon or rebel, I could then get those options (red/blue). I feel like I missed a lot of opportunities.  Plus having to figure out when I could talk to my squad and get further was hard to tell so I was constantly prompting them for more conversation but finding that I hadn't progressed enough in the story to get any where with them.  In the end the romance seemed like they just gave it to me cause I put in some effort.  Ashley is an asshole but I saved her.

And WTF is with all the elevators and doors and corridors?  Are they just trying to add to the game play time?  The voice acting for Shepard is flat.  The female actor is much better especially as a rebel.  I'm not into the side quests of collecting rocks...or alien artifacts even on the off chance this opens something cooler and more meaningful just seems like a grind.  What I call click questing.

It has opened me to more modern FPS with the ducking and jumping action.  I haven't played FPS's in such a long time because the controls are out of hand for me but here the dumbing down is appreciated.  The squad commands are squirrelly and unreliable a lot of the time.  They remind me of hero/henchies in GW.

I didn't care for the Prothean computer thing telling me that he had no idea why the Reapers were doing what they were doing.  Seemed like a lame line to say something to the effect of "No one knows even the writers"  so there was a big let down in the story there.

Starting ME 2 and it's more of the same.  Very disappointed that my ENTIRE squad is gone and the overall story beginning is just weak.  Glad they added details like bathrooms and cooks but why is the first nonmission quest getting f***ing ingredients for the kitchen?  Grocery shopping in a SciFi epic opera really?  Also, there's the no crouching thing....

Guns are cool and I love the upgrade system but there's no context for anything as far as stats etc. ME seems to do too much of everything to be great at anything.

I haven't started Far Cry yet but I'm looking for the exploration/sand box side rather than the story because the writing in these games is failing.

Anyone playing Rust?  Looks like the community is really divided on the direction of the game.  I'd play it but can't run it.  Vertiigo's videos are awesome!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 06:51:37 AM by Meclar »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #345 on: April 16, 2016, 03:59:04 PM »
I haven't played Rust or any of the ME series unfortunately. This weekend has been open beta for Overwatch, so I've been playing that. And preparing for a job interview on Monday.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: April 16, 2016, 08:46:31 PM »
The entire ME series is awesome. Especially 2, and 1. In that order.

You do pick up some old crewies in 2, so don't lament so much.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 17, 2016, 10:58:01 AM »
My friend and I have also started new characters in GW 1 but that's moving very slow they like to kill everything.

When are you playing? I'd be up for playing through Tyria again.

I've mostly been playing Vermintide because money, although I suspect I am nearing the end of replayability for that unless I want to learn a new character for it. Otherwise I've mostly been tabletop gaming every week. I'm also about to run the Out of the Abyss D&D 5e campaign over Fantasy Grounds with college friends. Pretty excited - it should be a fun campaign.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: April 17, 2016, 05:41:10 PM »
How is 5e?  It feels like my friends just got the hang of 4e after 4 years.

We're on after 8:30-9pm EST.  Just about to do the Nolani Academy and the Diessa(?) land quests.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 17, 2016, 11:48:21 PM »
I really like 5e. I played the Starter Set campaign with friends over Christmas and had a blast. They have really taken out the rules/options bloat that had crept into 3.5/Pathfinder and made your class choices more thematic. They also evened out the power curve so that casters are sturdier at lower levels and melee characters keep up well in higher level play. Everything about it is intended to streamline play so that there is less flipping through rule books and tables while returning a lot of discretion to the DM.

I never really cottoned on to 4 (and tbh I don't know many people who did), so I'm not super familiar with it's rulesets, but the common description I've heard is that they picked the best parts of earlier editions and integrated them into a simpler, cohesive system. In terms of lore, they also dug back to a lot of early first and second edition material for inspiration regarding classes and creatures.

My major criticism is that the PHB and DMG could be laid out much better. I spent a lot of time between sessions of that first campaign figuring out how certain pieces worked together because the information is spread out. Once you actually get them, they work really well though. I think the other major criticism I've seen floating around the internet is that there are some imbalances remaining (which the current content lead has stated that he is okay with) and that the Ranger options laid out in the PHB aren't very good. They released an errata for play testing last fall, but that wasn't well received either, so they are still working on a new version. Tbh, we used the play test version and loved it, so I'm actually kind of disappointed that it was unpopular.

I'll have to pop on GW some evening and join you!

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: April 20, 2016, 07:41:56 AM »
Rather than diggin' out my NWN cds from storage, I bought the Diamond edition on GOG for $10.  Installed and it runs great on Windows 10.  There was a problem with setting the resolution that took only a little trouble shooting.  Doing a full play through and geesh, Desther is really tough.  I also installed X-Mouse that allows you to customize mouse controls for just about any software.  With this I switched the middle and right mouse buttons in the game.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: April 23, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
Rather than diggin' out my NWN cds from storage, I bought the Diamond edition on GOG for $10.  Installed and it runs great on Windows 10.  There was a problem with setting the resolution that took only a little trouble shooting.  Doing a full play through and geesh, Desther is really tough.  I also installed X-Mouse that allows you to customize mouse controls for just about any software.  With this I switched the middle and right mouse buttons in the game.

I still play every now and then. I used to log onto Throbbleserv every so often, but it hasn't been up in some time unfortunately. :(

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #352 on: May 27, 2016, 12:34:12 PM »
I still play every now and then. I used to log onto Throbbleserv every so often, but it hasn't been up in some time unfortunately. :(
I can bring it back up if you'd like. I stopped running it when no one had logged in for a couple years. (Also, I realized I was posting the wrong IP address for awhile.)

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: May 28, 2016, 11:40:09 AM »
It's alright, I don't want to inconvenience you guys. Probably time to let the past die down. Games don't seem to have the same sense of community anymore.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #354 on: May 29, 2016, 02:32:24 PM »
Indeed, Mercy.

I've been playing Subnautica recently. It's a lot of fun, despite my irrational fear of deep water. (literally, like the only thing that scares the shit out of me, haha) It's still in early access and has a lot of work to go, but despite this, it's pretty remarkable as it stands. If anyone plays it, don't make my mistake, put your fire extinguisher in storage never to be seen again unless you're using it to shoot around in the water, as it stands, there is no other fire. I hucked it around with me everywhere, expecting a fire on a wreck or especially on the Aurora, but I finally decided to look it up, and you only ever can put out the original fire in the beginning. Haha...

Also, play experimental version. Besides the fish now respawning on it (your ocean begins to look barren unless you personally re-stock it later, and even then...), there is a lot of stuff that gets changed. If I knew what I know now, I would have made my game on experimental to begin with, but I would normally avoid unstable builds, this game is an exception. Plus it aids development.

Another pro-tip for anyone beginning, build 5 pipes under equipment as soon as possible. You don't have to rush or anything, but the sooner the better. Take the pipes, and connect them horizontally 1 after another as close to the surface as you can, all the way around your lifepod, so that the last pipe connects to the first. You can do it with just the 5 pipes, no need to make extra. Sometimes the lifepod floats away, it gets hit by fish or something supposedly and can end up very far from the safe shallows. Mine has never moved after I did this to it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: May 31, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »
Been playing the heck out of Cities: Skylines.  Gonna hit the 200 hour mark soon.  What I really like most about this game is that it has a very big Steam community and there are TONS of cool mods and assets available in the Workshop that added a TON to this game for free.  I went on a subscribing spree and added oh I don't know about many dozens of mods and assets.  Now my game needs 10GB of RAM to start lol... Anyway at least now I have Tim Hortons in my city!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #356 on: May 31, 2016, 03:48:16 PM »
Yeah, when I told you it was a good fucking game I wasn't joking. Best city builder I've ever played. The only reason I stopped when I did is because of a broken asset messing up my game, and I had to figure out which one it was, so I ended up doing something else and never got back to it. Every time I think about playing it, I usually say "ah, but that broken asset..." lol.

Definitely recommend that title to anyone who likes city builders.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: May 31, 2016, 10:14:34 PM »
Yeah, when I told you it was a good fucking game I wasn't joking. Best city builder I've ever played. The only reason I stopped when I did is because of a broken asset messing up my game, and I had to figure out which one it was, so I ended up doing something else and never got back to it. Every time I think about playing it, I usually say "ah, but that broken asset..." lol.

Definitely recommend that title to anyone who likes city builders.

Haha i think I just ran into that problem. My save game gives me an error...hmm...i think it's a mod.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2016, 08:58:55 AM »
Well, in my case, I could load up, but after a few seconds or something it would pop something up. I don't remember exactly now, but I remember that I was certain disabling an asset I downloaded would solve the problem. Only I had added several assets at once, and would have to use process of elimination, seemed tedious, so I went to do something else for awhile. Awhile has lasted quite some time now. lol.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: June 03, 2016, 09:18:26 PM »
Started playing SW:TOR again. The new expansion has a chapter in the story line released every month and I've missed each month since Jan. Pretty fun. Sort of a single player facet in an online game. The story is fun to go through and since each class has it's own story, lots of replayability. At least until you do them all. :P