Author Topic: What is everyone playing  (Read 186785 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: What is everyone playing
« Reply #300 on: March 09, 2015, 01:54:09 PM »
Speaking of strategy games.  I'm currently playing Paradox's Crusader Kings 2.  Very tough learning curve to get into.  But seems like fun once most things are understood.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #301 on: March 12, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »
I got invited to play the beta of Dirty Bomb this weekend which is the newest title by Splash Damage (Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars, and BRINK). Set in post apocalyptic London, it's a objective based team vs. team FPS. The gameplay is very similar to BRINK without the lame parkour moves. I'll probably get it even though it will probably suffer the same fate as BRINK.

Yesterday a friend of mine told me to try out Gems of War, which is one of those gem matching games but with some sort of RPG aspect to it. I played through the tutorial last night but I was drunk and don't remember any of it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2015, 02:02:31 PM »
I played through the tutorial last night but I was drunk and don't remember any of it.

lol you'd make a great QA tester!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #303 on: March 14, 2015, 01:07:17 PM »
lol you'd make a great QA tester!

Throbble and I were QA testers for Spore and you know how that game turned out...

Anyway, got to play some more Gems of War and I'm liking the game. A match takes about 10 minutes so it's good for some short entertainment when you don't have a lot of time.

It's PvP (against people or computer) and as you win matches you get experience which allows you to acquire and upgrade weapons, party members, and gem affinities. The type of weapon you use determines the type of gems you need to fill up your mana ball. You also acquire party members that require a gem type to fill up their mana balls. When a mana ball fills up you may use that member's special power. Usually it's an attack against the other player's party, but sometimes it's some other ability like, "Choose a row of gems to destroy and gain an amount of armor equal to the number of green gems destroyed.".

All in all, it's more entertaining than Blizzard's Hearthstone but I don't see why it's a PC game an not a mobile game. The company that made it is even called, "505GAMES Mobile".

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's a freemium game available on Steam.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:11:06 PM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 01, 2015, 01:10:26 AM »
Just finished playing through Ori and the Blind Forest. Excellent puzzle platformer, very well-written too, but god damn those boss sequences (for lack of a better term) brought out the worst in me...

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #305 on: April 06, 2015, 12:58:19 PM »
Just finished playing through Ori and the Blind Forest. Excellent puzzle platformer, very well-written too, but god damn those boss sequences (for lack of a better term) brought out the worst in me...

Did you play with mouse keyboard or controller?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #306 on: April 06, 2015, 01:04:33 PM »
but I don't see why it's a PC game an not a mobile game. The company that made it is even called, "505GAMES Mobile".

EDIT: Forgot to mention, it's a freemium game available on Steam.

That's a good question. Is the game in beta or early access? I think developers are using Steam to kinda build games while selling them at the same time.  PC gamers are more forgiving to buying things in early access or beta.  Once the game is actually finished they will port it to mobile.

I think that is what is happening with Darkest Dungeon (good game btw check it out).  That game looks like it would be perfect for mobile but it's on PC.  It's early access so not even finished yet.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 06, 2015, 10:42:50 PM »
Did you play with mouse keyboard or controller?

Controller. I tend to give it a try on a lot of the indie games that support it because it's easier on my wrists. I'll probably stick to keyboard/mouse for things like Thief and Bioshock though...

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #308 on: April 07, 2015, 11:29:46 AM »
That's a good question. Is the game in beta or early access? I think developers are using Steam to kinda build games while selling them at the same time.  PC gamers are more forgiving to buying things in early access or beta.  Once the game is actually finished they will port it to mobile.

I think that is what is happening with Darkest Dungeon (good game btw check it out).  That game looks like it would be perfect for mobile but it's on PC.  It's early access so not even finished yet.

Turns out Gems of War is available on iOS mobile devices, just not Android for some reason.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #309 on: April 07, 2015, 06:38:15 PM »
Lots and lots of Starcraft and Hearthstone.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #310 on: April 07, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Lots and lots of Starcraft and Hearthstone.
I played Hearthstone for awhile but lost interest. I'll try and get back into it.

As for StarCraft, I made it about half way through the expansion, but I suck at playing Zerg, so I couldn't play through on "normal" difficulty. Now that the Protoss expansion has been announced I think I'll play through the whole campaign on easy just to get caught up on the storyline in preparation for the new expansion.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #311 on: May 03, 2015, 02:42:38 AM »
I played Hearthstone for awhile but lost interest. I'll try and get back into it.

As for StarCraft, I made it about half way through the expansion, but I suck at playing Zerg, so I couldn't play through on "normal" difficulty. Now that the Protoss expansion has been announced I think I'll play through the whole campaign on easy just to get caught up on the storyline in preparation for the new expansion.

I just recently played through the original campaign and the expansion to ramp up for the expansion. I've played the beta for the Protoss a little bit. But I mainly play the multiplayer. Hearthstone is fun, because you can just pick it up and play.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #312 on: May 06, 2015, 11:46:14 AM »
Downloading Wolfenstein: The Old Blood which came out yesterday and is a prequel to Wolfenstein: The New Order.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 16, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »
Started playing TERA yesterday. It's a free-to-play MMO on steam. I think I'm only just past the tutorial stuff, but it's fun enough so far. Pretty standard MMO stuff, but I think they're trying for a more fluid combat system (it feels very similar to GW2 combat, but without being able to activate skills while moving). Not expecting much from the story, since most of the quests so far have been "go kill x monsters," but oh well. Right now free suits my wallet.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #314 on: July 18, 2015, 01:49:13 PM »
Addicted to Terraria again. -Steam
Played a little Reus, it's interesting. -Steam
I am currently replaying Infinite Undiscovery. -360. (I never finished it the first time around, and it's been 6 years, haha)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #315 on: July 18, 2015, 05:36:50 PM »
Just started playing Hearthstone :/

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #316 on: July 18, 2015, 11:51:16 PM »
Ooh, I thought I forgot about a game...

Town of Salem... awesome as fuck, btw. and cheap. - Steam

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #317 on: July 21, 2015, 11:45:15 AM »
Ooh, I thought I forgot about a game...

Town of Salem... awesome as fuck, btw. and cheap. - Steam

Lol I played it for a while.  Lots of laughs.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #318 on: July 21, 2015, 01:11:26 PM »
Just started playing Hearthstone :/

I played Hearthstone when it first came out then quit for a couple years. Started playing again when it came out on mobile devices. Looks like I missed some events as people have these weird legendary cards I've never seen before. (The upper right corner of the card is shaped like a wing and they have some pretty crazy powers.) Also, Gems of War finally came out for Android devices and you can link it to your existing Steam GoW account.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #319 on: July 24, 2015, 01:59:03 PM »
Ya kinda already bored with Hearthstone....you literally end up seeing 1 of 4 decks every game.  Gameplay is also a little too slow and progress is too slow unless you unload your wallet to Blizzard.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #320 on: September 18, 2015, 09:14:06 AM »
Shadow Of Mordor is currently $20 with Game of the Year upgrade at $3.  Sales goes through the weekend.  Probably picking up a copy myself.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #321 on: September 18, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »
I've been playing Heroes of Might and Magic III lately because it was $3 on gog a while ago. It's a lot harder than I remember.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #322 on: September 18, 2015, 06:24:52 PM »
Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is definitely worth it. HD Pack is free DLC. Game is huge in size, esp with the HD pack. 70+ GB
Looks great on Ultra settings.

GOTY upgrade gives you all of the DLC for 3 bucks.

Wish that's what I had payed for it, haha, but it was all worth it at full price to me.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #323 on: October 20, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
Just started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic again. The new expac is about to come out and I've been watching some streams of it. It looks great. The story is awesome.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #324 on: December 30, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Cities:Skylines.  Very high recommend for those who like city building. Currently on Winter sale on Steam.  Anything from Paradox is recommended by me...

Pillars of Eternity.  From our friends at Obsidian.  Recommended for those seeking an old school Infinity Engine RPG experience.

Divinity Original Sin - Enchanced Edition.  I played the first release and it was very good.  The Enhanced Edition just came out which adds a boat load of stuff.  Recommended for those seeking an RPG with tough tactical combat.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #325 on: January 06, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »
Just downloaded Sword Coast Legends, a Forgotten Realms game on Steam. Gonna give it a go tonight after work. Will update my post with a short review.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 06, 2016, 05:37:14 PM »
Just downloaded Sword Coast Legends, a Forgotten Realms game on Steam. Gonna give it a go tonight after work. Will update my post with a short review.

Oh, hah, sorry, I probably should have updated everyone after I tried it on the free weekend. I got about five minutes in before giving up on it. Character creation was a mess. Couldn't figure out what bonuses anything gave. Then actually playing it was rough. Looked and felt horrible. Glad I didn't buy it.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #327 on: January 06, 2016, 09:21:06 PM »
Oh, hah, sorry, I probably should have updated everyone after I tried it on the free weekend. I got about five minutes in before giving up on it. Character creation was a mess. Couldn't figure out what bonuses anything gave. Then actually playing it was rough. Looked and felt horrible. Glad I didn't buy it.

It's alright.

I thought the character creation went smoothly for me. Game seems interesting, but I will need to get used to the play style. I didn't play too much since I had dinner pretty soon after checking it out. I'm going to put in some time this weekend and check it out. Also want to check out the DM stuff. It looks like it could be interesting with some work.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #328 on: January 07, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
It's alright.

I thought the character creation went smoothly for me. Game seems interesting, but I will need to get used to the play style. I didn't play too much since I had dinner pretty soon after checking it out. I'm going to put in some time this weekend and check it out. Also want to check out the DM stuff. It looks like it could be interesting with some work.

Cool let us know.  Hopefully a more positive experience than Elessar's.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #329 on: January 07, 2016, 06:41:34 PM »
Cool let us know.  Hopefully a more positive experience than Elessar's.

It also has a module creator. So you + a group of 4 (you being the DM) can run the module. It seems pretty interesting. Character creation is a little weird, the look isn't stellar. But once in the game, the game looks great. It reminds me of Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale. Play style wise, more similar to Icewind Dale.