Author Topic: What is everyone playing  (Read 189996 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What is everyone playing
« Reply #270 on: November 10, 2014, 09:05:29 AM »
Here's a list for you.

All Steam links.

I have Endless Space and Galactic Civilizations in my Wishlist already. I am waiting for the former to come on sale; for the latter, I am waiting for it to get out of beta/early access. I'm not sure about Pandora or not. If I see it on sale I might.

Mo: Add me on Steam. Or else. (Or else what? Well, you won't have me on Steam, of course.)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #271 on: November 10, 2014, 10:00:45 AM »
Mo, why do I not have you on Steam? lol

I don't know why. Add me :P

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 20, 2014, 07:37:10 PM »
Picked up a bunch of games when the Steam holiday sale started...Machinarium, A Story About My Uncle, Anna, Only If, Kario, and Dragon Age: Origins. The only one I've really dug into so far was Dragon Age, which I just had to put down out of frustration...it should have everything I would enjoy in a game, but the combat and party systems are obnoxious and ineffective. I have no desire to sit there and micromanage a group of NPCs in addition to my character.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #273 on: December 21, 2014, 11:39:53 AM »
Picked up a bunch of games when the Steam holiday sale started...Machinarium, A Story About My Uncle, Anna, Only If, Kario, and Dragon Age: Origins. The only one I've really dug into so far was Dragon Age, which I just had to put down out of frustration...it should have everything I would enjoy in a game, but the combat and party systems are obnoxious and ineffective. I have no desire to sit there and micromanage a group of NPCs in addition to my character.
I had my suspicions about Dragon Age not being as good as all the hype said it was. It just seemed so generic to me when it was first advertised.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 21, 2014, 12:50:44 PM »
Yeah, I remember the advertising seeming very generic...I vaguely recall thinking it looked more or less like a lot of other games coming out around the same time. It's getting a little bit more manageable though. I'm not a huge fan of the interface, and I had to search google to figure out if the options I wanted were even there because the game does a poor job of showing you things (it gives you codex entries, and you have to read each individual one for details, and the I don't think the particular option I was looking for was even in there; not very useful imo)...

For some reason your party members don't default to auto follow (or automatically engage enemies attacking them) unless you go in and tweak their AI. I think the idea was to give a lot of freedom for how you want your party members to engage in combat, but the defaults were kind of useless so you have to adjust them even if you'd rather just plug and play. Other than that combat is okay. It's basic hack and slash so far. The story seems fun enough, and they make good use of cutscenes, although the amount of pixelation around character models during them is driving me nuts. I've played much older games that aren't nearly that bad. I'll have to dig into my graphic settings and see if there is something wonky there. I also wish they had done voice overs for your character. I know it's a lot with the amount of voice options they give, but I'd rather have had fewer voice options (or none) and quality voice over work for your character during cutscenes. It'd be more engaging.

So yeah, probably not as much as it was hyped to be, but it was $15 so I figured, "Why not?"

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #275 on: December 23, 2014, 11:41:36 AM »
Hmmm DA:Origins huh? I'd rank that as one of the best RPGs of the past 20 years.  Wow that was a good game.

Yes it has a tactical combat system, which I really enjoy.  I like to be able to micromanage my party members. I hit space bar to pause combat all the time.  Sounds like you don't like that sort of tactical gameplay.  The more recent DA games leave that bahind to placate the more mainstream gamer...to my sadness...

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 23, 2014, 06:18:26 PM »
I enjoy tactical gameplay just fine, but not when it means micromanaging three NPCs in addition to the character I actually want to play.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #277 on: December 23, 2014, 07:15:34 PM »
Hmmm DA:Origins huh? I'd rank that as one of the best RPGs of the past 20 years.  Wow that was a good game.

Yes it has a tactical combat system, which I really enjoy.  I like to be able to micromanage my party members. I hit space bar to pause combat all the time.  Sounds like you don't like that sort of tactical gameplay.  The more recent DA games leave that bahind to placate the more mainstream gamer...to my sadness...

"one of the best RPGs of the past 20 years" - Alright, is this on a top ten list or a top 100 list because I don't think it qualifies for the former option.

"bahind" - Is that how the spell it in the Great White North?

Also, did you know that you weigh less in Canada than you do in the USA because Canada has a slightly lighter gravity? (Difference of .0002%)

Merry Christmas everyone!

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Haven't touched DA:O in a couple weeks, but now I'm being mildly entertained by minecraft...I expect my usual boredom with sandbox games to set in shortly though.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #279 on: January 15, 2015, 01:01:19 PM »
Haven't touched DA:O in a couple weeks, but now I'm being mildly entertained by minecraft...I expect my usual boredom with sandbox games to set in shortly though.

http://shop.lego.com/en-US/Minecraft-ByTheme

Now you can have the best of both worlds!

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 16, 2015, 04:20:20 PM »
It's like Inception. How many layers deep can you go?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:21 PM »
It's like Inception. How many layers deep can you go?
Balls deep.

Frankly, I don't understand Minecraft at all. The graphics suck and I can't figure out what the hell the point is. I can't even tell if it's multiplayer or single player. Is there a storyline? People post videos about finding cool things, but can't you just build a world like NWN?

Very confusing.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 07:12:43 PM by 420 »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 16, 2015, 07:55:38 PM »
I had literally no intuition for what the game wants you to do when I started. I wouldn't have figured anything out if I didn't look online because the game gives you no guidance beyond telling you to move with WASD and open your inventory with E. It's got two basic modes. Both of them will start with a random seed map that generates a unique world based on the seed number (you can input a seed number to get a specific map though). Survival starts you with nothing (although there is an option to start with a chest that has a few basic items) and you have to collect resources to build shelter and feed yourself before dark when mobs come out and will attack you. Early on the mobs are kind of frightening, but once you collect enough materials to craft armor they aren't nearly as dangerous. Beyond that it's completely sandbox. You just go around collecting the resources you need/want to build whatever elaborate infrastructure you want for shelter, farming, herding, enchanting, brewing, etc. There are some temples you can rob in the deserts, and I guess there are a few end bosses to fight as well, but that's about it. There is also a creative mode that allows you to fly and build with unlimited resources and mobs won't attack you either. All this can be single player or multiplayer, and multiplayer servers can do some futzing with the game structure to create new objects/abilities/commands if they want.

Honestly though, I don't know how people played the game when it first came out though. I'd hate to have to sit there and figure out recipes via trial and error. The first time I played I didn't want to look anything up and I died. A lot. I'd have gone nuts, especially if I had to figure out how red stone worked. The game allows you to create logic circuits by connecting red stone power sources to various things either directly or via red stone circuits, but I don't think I would have ever figured that out on my own (especially since my grasp on it is still very tenuous even after reading explanations...).

So yeah, you can build a world, but then it just sort of sits there feels special about itself, not like NWN where you could actually craft a story to play through. The soundtrack is surprisingly very nice and relaxing though. I think I expected 8 bit music or something with the art style...

edit: This is probably one of the more interesting examples I've seen of a minecraft server altering the rules of play to create a minigame with it's own mechanics imo.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 08:03:08 PM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: January 17, 2015, 12:49:34 PM »
Thanks for the run-down on the game. If you make your own world does it give you a seed so you can share it with the community?

Also, Simpsons are coming to Minecraft!

http://full-timewhistle.com/technology-22/the-simpsons-headed-to-minecraft-3479.html

Being a huge Simpsons fan (Throbble and I just finished building the Simpsons house out of Lego) it sounds pretty cool. Unfortunately, it's only for the X-Box platforms and I don't have a console.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 17, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
As far as I can tell, you can extract the seed that generated the world, but if someone input that seed when creating their own world, it would generate the world you started with, not anything you had done to the world. I suspect if you wanted to let others actually explore your world you'd have to host that world on a server, but you'd have to futz with the settings or risk whoever enters your server destroying anything you made. (Side story: I was working on a production of Oliver! over the summer, and all the kids in the show played minecraft together on their portable devices, which was pretty cool especially since it mostly kept them quiet until one of them entered another's world and completely destroyed everything she had made for no particular reason. They had their electronics privileges suspended after that.)

You can design the skin for your character though, so the Simpsons pack sounds more like a novelty to me. There are some restrictions to skinning (it has to fit on the default model), but minecraft was designed with the intention that players would go in and alter the rules however they saw fit, so I bet you could go in and make your own Simpsons skin pack if you really wanted.

edit: They actually do have a game demo on their website. Gives you about 100 minutes of play time in a specific seed map, but you can restart the demo any number of times you want. That's how I ended up trying it.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 01:25:41 PM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: January 17, 2015, 04:36:28 PM »
When it comes to a "Minecraft" style game, I prefer Terraria and Craft the World.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 28, 2015, 10:57:17 PM »
As far as I can tell, you can extract the seed that generated the world, but if someone input that seed when creating their own world, it would generate the world you started with, not anything you had done to the world.

I stand corrected. You can't share your map by sharing the seed, but you can save a copy of it and upload it somewhere for download and play in. That's how various hungers games maps are distributed to servers that run it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #287 on: January 30, 2015, 11:01:16 AM »
When it comes to a "Minecraft" style game, I prefer Terraria and Craft the World.

I hate these games...i hate crafting...I curse it's existence...

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #288 on: January 30, 2015, 12:13:59 PM »
I hate these games...i hate crafting...I curse it's existence...
I find the concept of these games pretty odd. I mean, I like "crafting" if it involves a toolset and a scripting language. Hell, I even made a custom item crafting system for Smith Hold. But the idea of a game where you mine then craft seems a little meta to me. Just give me the tools (ie toolset) and I'll build a world for everyone to play in.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:09 PM »
Yeah, I generally hate dealing with in-game crafting systems because I'd rather be out adventuring than sitting at a forge trying to make gear, but I've found something oddly satisfying about setting small goals to build for myself in minecraft. I don't think I'd ever want to sit around making these huge elaborate creations that other people make, even in creative mode (free access to all materials without having to mine them and immunity to mobs), but it amuses me enough...mostly I build around getting stuff that will lead to adventuring. Right now I'm working on getting materials to fully explore and defeat an ocean monument I discovered, but it's difficult because I have to defeat the elder guardians in the monument before I can really make progress, because they severely limit my mining ability and I'm limited by however many water breathing potions I've managed to bring with me.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #290 on: February 19, 2015, 10:54:11 AM »
Been playing Darkest Dungeon.

$20 off Steam.  I recommend it but beware, you'll be screaming at your PC often as the game is freaking brutal.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 19, 2015, 12:07:01 PM »
Maybe when it actually launches. Not particularly keen on buying pre-release games.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #292 on: February 19, 2015, 02:33:01 PM »
Yes it's early access but it's quite good and there's a lot of game play available.  They promised all the new content will be released at no additional costs and I was assured by people I trust that they won't be lying.

But you never know..at $20 it's worth.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #293 on: March 05, 2015, 07:16:16 PM »
Picked up DA during the discounted week but I've only played for a couple of hours. I've been spoiled by Skyrim.  The same week I got Civ 5 and Batman Arkham City (I know I'm a little behind) but I just can't get into any of them.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 05, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
Picked up DA during the discounted week but I've only played for a couple of hours. I've been spoiled by Skyrim.  The same week I got Civ 5 and Batman Arkham City (I know I'm a little behind) but I just can't get into any of them.

Yeah, I haven't played much more of DA than when I got it. I may eventually just jump to Inquisition, since from what I've heard they fixed a lot of the things that bug me about Origins in Inquisition.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: March 06, 2015, 10:38:17 AM »

Oh Civ 5....

I've dumped almost 600 hours into that game :)
Hope you have all the expansions.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #296 on: March 06, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »
Just started playing Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth. I bought it when it first came out but put off playing it until I finished Wolfenstein: The New Order and Saints Row: Gat out of Hell.

It's basically an updated version of one of my favorite games of all time, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The graphics are really nice and the interface takes a little getting used to. For instance, you can't reassign keys and some of the key bindings are awkward. F11 to quicksave Ctrl-F11 to quickload ("Whoops I wanted to quickload, not quicksave!")

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #297 on: March 06, 2015, 01:39:34 PM »
Just started playing Sid Meier's Civilization: Beyond Earth. I bought it when it first came out but put off playing it until I finished Wolfenstein: The New Order and Saints Row: Gat out of Hell.

It's basically an updated version of one of my favorite games of all time, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. The graphics are really nice and the interface takes a little getting used to. For instance, you can't reassign keys and some of the key bindings are awkward. F11 to quicksave Ctrl-F11 to quickload ("Whoops I wanted to quickload, not quicksave!")

I bought it because a friend of mine basically forced me into it (i lost a bet and owed him the game) so I got two copies when it was 50% off.  Anyway.  It's very similar to Civ 5 mechanics wise.  The biggest difference is the Tech Tree being replaced by a Tech Web.  Otherwise quite similar. 

The issue with the Civs games is that it makes more sense to wait for expansions because they always improve the base game by A LOT.  So I'm not playing Beyond Earth yet..Civ 5 is a better game as it stands now.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: March 08, 2015, 12:26:04 PM »
Yeah, Beyond Earth was unable to hold my interests for more than a full game basically. I still liked it and wanted to play more, but I got bored. I've had the same problem with literally all of the other Civ games except for Civ V, for some reason. Haven't put my finger on it yet.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: March 08, 2015, 06:32:50 PM »
Yeah, Beyond Earth was unable to hold my interests for more than a full game basically. I still liked it and wanted to play more, but I got bored. I've had the same problem with literally all of the other Civ games except for Civ V, for some reason. Haven't put my finger on it yet.

Civ V was the first Civ game that I played, so I can't really help you figure that out. It is a very fun game.