Author Topic: NNNOOO! This can't be so!  (Read 18570 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
NNNOOO! This can't be so!
« on: October 16, 2009, 11:12:10 AM »

GeoCities is closing on October 26, 2009.

On October 26, 2009, your GeoCities site will no longer appear on the Web, and you will no longer be able to access your GeoCities account and files.

*sniffle sniffle*  What's a D1 player to do now??

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NNNOOO! This can't be so!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 12:07:29 PM »
Hmm, interesting, they are a domain provider from way back right?

I remember that it was always super slow, surprised it took this long for them to go down. But, what does it have to do with D1?

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 01:55:26 PM »
May not be the case now but a lot of D1 players use to make web pages with it for their characters.  Just seemed like Geocities was one of those things that would never go away but oh well took about 20 minutes to make a new page with Tripod: http://meclar.tripod.com/

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »
Geocities is owned by Yahoo!

It's the exact same thing Homestead did years ago, except with Homestead you got this fancy sitebuilder with it that had a billion features for you to play with. I bet it was all a test... bet they just used people who wanted free sites to test their sitebuilder out and tweak it for future customers.

I had a geocities too, I got that e-mail last week sometime. I haven't seen my geocities in a long time. I used to use it for my web images I'd link to, and then I started using it for some buttons and markers on RoD... very quickly after that did it's monthly brandwidth run out. So instead I switched to Photobucket... It doesn't make any sense that they allow more transfer brandwidth than geocities. But they did... a lot more.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 10:00:35 AM »
I had a Geocities site 10 years ago for a fantasy hockey league.  Site is still up I believe.