Author Topic: Lucidmagic presents Legend of the Green Dragon!  (Read 59977 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Lucidmagic presents Legend of the Green Dragon!
« on: August 07, 2009, 04:41:27 PM »
I don't know how many of you remember or even know of a classic BBS game called LORD (Legend of the Red Dragon).  Well it was a very fun game back in the good 'ol days where we had no idea what "The Web" was.

I liked the game so much that I was going to start my very own BBS to host it.  That plan was derailed when a friend of mine who was helping me set up the server accidentally formatted the hard drive. 

Oh well.

There is some good news!  The game has been kept around all these years and I just installed a Web version of it called Legend of the Green Dragon.

Great game to play if you're bored at work.  It's a turn based RPG that can be accessed here:

http://lucidmagic.net/lotgd/

Create your character and enjoy your turns in the Forest :O

Please post any questions of comments here.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Lucidmagic presents Legend of the Green Dragon!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2009, 06:43:50 PM »
Don't know if I feel like getting addicted to that shit all over again.

Play -> Get Addicted -> Play Constantly -> Get Bored -> Stop Playing For A Long Time/Forever.

It's like an MMORPG in that regard.

In addition to that, the characters get deleted after not playing for so long... so if you get bored and don't play for so long... you lose your shit and have to begin again if you return.

PS: Clans are fun shit.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 06:46:43 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2009, 08:06:28 PM »
I get an error, says my name must be at least 3 characters long. A number is a character!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 08:47:12 PM »
hehe well I can change the settings about inactive character deletion.  Sorry 420, didn't you know numbers are second class citizens around here :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:53:51 PM »
Sorry 420, didn't you know numbers are second class citizens around here
Don't worry about it, I'm used to being discriminated against because of my handle.

EDIT:
You strap your Fists to your back and head out for some adventure.
Sweet.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 11:00:32 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 06:21:29 PM »
hehe well I can change the settings about inactive character deletion.  Sorry 420, didn't you know numbers are second class citizens around here :P
Good. Shut that shit off and I might actually play once and awhile without feeling forced to play just to keep my character from being deleted. When you're out of the loop for a good month and a half it becomes work to have to keep returning just to keep your character around.

That's what always pissed me off about bnet accounts.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 09:45:04 PM »
First to find the Dark Horse Tavern!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 10:01:52 PM »
Been there done that. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 10:40:07 PM »
Been there done that.
Yeah right, then why didn't you carve a message into a table?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 12:59:49 AM »
I'll be there tomorrow!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 02:30:59 AM »
Yeah right, then why didn't you carve a message into a table?

Played the piss out of this game a few years ago.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 03:08:49 AM »
Played the piss out of this game a few years ago.
I see, so what you really mean is that you are just a newbie in relation to the LM LotGD.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 09:28:24 AM »
I see, so what you really mean is that you are just a newbie in relation to the LM LotGD.

Ya sounds like it.  I should have renamed the tavern so he couldn't claim that he was there in some alternate LoTGD universe.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 11:49:30 AM »
D'oh I was killed by a dry skeleton in the forest.  Prior to that I killed a baby unicorn.  I kinda felt like an asshole for that and probably got what I deserved from the skeleton.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 01:02:56 PM »
I remember liking that tavern a lot for some reason. Can't remember why though. This game is kind of like Diablo in a way. You go through, beat the green dragon, and then get a fancy title. Then of course, you go through again for a fancier title. lol.

Seriously though, you guys should start up some clans if you haven't already. I don't remember all the benefits, but there was a forge or something that was awesome shit.

I haven't really been playing yet. Don't know if I will much, I got my fill of this game already... I find it addicting in a bad way too. :P

Tell me when ya beat the penguin. :D

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »
hehe well I can change the settings about inactive character deletion. 

That's done.  No expiration of accounts.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 03:07:05 AM »
Excellent.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 01:05:32 PM »
Well I'm done playing this game. I just drop dead and lose all my gold and xp over and over again.

Even when I'm dead I get killed... pfft.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:20:43 PM »
Well I'm done playing this game. I just drop dead and lose all my gold and xp over and over again.

Even when I'm dead I get killed... pfft.

Hah you need to be more careful.  I died a bunch of times because I go thrillseeking and don't know when to run.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:34 PM »
I don't remember dying that often except for right when I first began. You pretty much just gotta play it safe. I was a troll last time.

Every time I post in this topic I'm tempted to play... and then I think "hmm... this or Sim City 4?" That pretty much decides itself. That would be the game I'm currently hooked on, but it's wearing down now. :P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 03:39:54 PM »
Hah you need to be more careful.  I died a bunch of times because I go thrillseeking and don't know when to run.
I just look for fights I went Thrillseeking once and it fucked me over. The enemy was the same level, just a normal creature but for some reason it did 13 points of damage to me when on average we were doing 1-4 points back and forth.

Caution wouldn't have helped. From what I can tell running is useless, it just gets you killed faster. Oh and don't drink out of the river, it's instant death.

The main way to kill the fun factor of a game is to introduce a bunch of ways to instantly kill the player that can't be prevented.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 03:55:58 PM »
I don't remember dying that often except for right when I first began. You pretty much just gotta play it safe. I was a troll last time.

Every time I post in this topic I'm tempted to play... and then I think "hmm... this or Sim City 4?" That pretty much decides itself. That would be the game I'm currently hooked on, but it's wearing down now. :P

Well the point of this game is not to get addicted to it.  I remember with LORD there was 1 game day per real world day.  So you would play your turns every morning (before school in my case) and that was it for the day.  I remember each of my friends were trying to wake up earlier than the other because they wanted to slay each others characters.

For this game I've set up 2 games days per real world day.  Or 1 game day per 12 hours.  You really shouldn't be constantly playing this, it's for the quick fix for moments of complete boredom or moments where you need a distractions. 

@420 I looked for a setting to limit the amount of gold lost when you die but I couldn't find any.  10% exp is the lowest setting.  I've lost about 600gp due to death. 

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 04:40:17 PM »

For this game I've set up 2 games days per real world day.  Or 1 game day per 12 hours.  You really shouldn't be constantly playing this, it's for the quick fix for moments of complete boredom or moments where you need a distractions.  
Aw, I liked it at 6 hour days. I don't mind logging in occasionally for a quick fix, but when I die in the second encounter then die in the graveyard and have to wait for the next day it's a little too quick for me.

By the way, what do the combat mechanics look like? Like how is the to-hit calculated with level and equipment and how is damage and critical hits calculated?

I will probably give it another go but not for about 3 and a half more hours. That death is a real bastard by the way.

Oh and what are "charm" points?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2009, 04:46:43 PM »
Aw, I liked it at 6 hour days. I don't mind logging in occasionally for a quick fix, but when I die in the second encounter then die in the graveyard and have to wait for the next day it's a little too quick for me.

By the way, what do the combat mechanics look like? Like how is the to-hit calculated with level and equipment and how is damage and critical hits calculated?

I will probably give it another go but not for about 3 and a half more hours. That death is a real bastard by the way.

Oh and what are "charm" points?

I died in the Graveyard also today lol.

I'm not sure how the mechanics works.  That would require having a look at the php code.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 12:30:17 AM »
All I remember about charm is that there's a bard in the inn who can size you up and tell you how beautiful (charming) you are. The only affect I can remember it having was for flirting with violet in the tavern. The affects of that were varied but I remember receiving helpful bonuses from kissing her and whatnot. Other than that it's measured in the hall of fame, so it can also be used competitively. Much unlike gems which have a billion other uses.

Unless for a good cause (such as leveling your skill) try to save gems best you can, I think I remember them coming in handy largely for clan crafting (forging?). Most of the game is a gamble.

Also, which river were you referring to? I think I recall one that was a random encounter when doing forest fights. If I'm right it did far more than instant kill you. I think you just got "lucky." Like everything else it's a gamble. Another gamble that can be worth it, but can definitely not be, is the mine. I think I recall that doing instant kills or at least doing some much unwanted damage (turn loss). I ran into it once so far this time around and passed on it. You can find gems up the ass if you're lucky though.

PS>>> I highly recommend the Yarbrough skin. I used it last time and this time. It's comfortable. :D
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 12:35:28 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 02:23:40 AM »

Also, which river were you referring to? I think I recall one that was a random encounter when doing forest fights. If I'm right it did far more than instant kill you. I think you just got "lucky." Like everything else it's a gamble. Another gamble that can be worth it, but can definitely not be, is the mine. I think I recall that doing instant kills or at least doing some much unwanted damage (turn loss). I ran into it once so far this time around and passed on it. You can find gems up the ass if you're lucky though.
Yeah, I was talking random encounters in the forest. Maybe something to do with race because I've survived a couple mines collapses based on the fact I'm a dwarf (though I lost all my remaining turns). So maybe elves have better luck with drinking from rivers.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2009, 05:54:53 PM »
I ran across a "magical" stream after making that post yesterday. Fully healed me and gave me a couple extra turns. Was it that or something else?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2009, 06:14:03 PM »
I ran across a "magical" stream after making that post yesterday. Fully healed me and gave me a couple extra turns. Was it that or something else?
I think it was that, found it twice and it killed me. Are you an elf?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2009, 06:24:20 PM »
Nay, human. Last play through I'm pretty sure I was a troll. When I was a troll I didn't have too much luck with mines, if I recall. But then, "not too much luck" was around 50% of the time of being unlucky.

But yes, I remember other towns, houses you could sleep in, you could rob the bank, etc. I don't know if Mo has a different version or if that one was largely modified, or if we just have to level up some more or something. *shrug*

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2009, 11:03:21 PM »
Nay, human. Last play through I'm pretty sure I was a troll. When I was a troll I didn't have too much luck with mines, if I recall. But then, "not too much luck" was around 50% of the time of being unlucky.

But yes, I remember other towns, houses you could sleep in, you could rob the bank, etc. I don't know if Mo has a different version or if that one was largely modified, or if we just have to level up some more or something. *shrug*

I think you may be right about leveling. I can't rob the bank, but last night i saw a new thief action in my combat options, i can now insult or poison my weapon. So maybe once im higer up i can do things like that.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition