Author Topic: Need some help not sure what happened!  (Read 14848 times)

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
Need some help not sure what happened!
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:30:52 AM »
Most recently ( last night) my laptop that is less than 2 years old decided it would stop functioning properly, When it is powered the lights kickone the fan turns on and so on but the screen remains blank after about 4 seconds there is 1 long beep and than 2 short beeps ( which I know means that there was a video error and the bios could not establish communication or some such crap)

I am using an HP pavillion dv6000 dual core with a nivida graphics card. I cant get any other information considering the screens lack of function

I also tryed connecting my desktops screen to it to see if it was just the laptop screen and same thing black screen 1 long 2 short beeps

any help appreciated

-Cal

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Need some help not sure what happened!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:10:07 PM »
Sounds like your video card went south. I'm sad to say you'll need a new card. I don't have any experience servicing laptops beyond adding RAM and replacing the hard drive so you may have to take it to a local computer shop if it's not under warranty.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 06:36:28 PM »
I am concurrent with 420. As for the actual reason behind it, it could have been caused by a number of things. Laptops though, being as compact as they are, can really have problems with heat if they don't have very good cooling. If you recall it getting fairly hot, and you take it to get fixed, I would ask the person you go to about the cause of the problem. If it turns out to be heat maybe you should look into getting a laptop cooling pad or mat for it. I've seen some excellent ones on Newegg while I was browsing for alternative cooling methods for my 360. Many of them are also fairly inexpensive.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:39:43 PM »
Most are covered within a year unless you bought an extended warranty. HP pfft.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 01:19:49 AM »
If you didn't apply direct control to the GPU fan then you may want to consider doing that in the future. I once noticed that mine was spiking, that is turning to quick bursts like it does when i first start my machine. I found out that is was the "safety feature" to keep the video card from overheating. Well a few short bursts of air when the thing is running at over 100C isnt going to do much. So for programs that require more effort from the card i turn up the fan a little and keep its operating temp at a safe level. For a laptop with no airspace, cooling is even more critical, this was mentioned above. One of the scariest things i have ever seen in the realm of computer cooling was the I cube out of its shell. The actual computer with all its cards was compacted to the size of a peanut butter sandwich. The rest of that cube was to house one very massive heatsink. The actual works only contirbuted to about 1/5 the total size.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »
Well I have come to find out through browsing HP's main website that my model was on a recall because of a battery heat up issue http://bpr.hpordercenter.com/hbpr/ (dv6000*) could this have been the cause of the issue? if so I will need to contact HP to see if they will cover it right?

I believe my warrenty is up so no go if its not from the recall.

and if all else fails I will have to see if I can take it to bestbuy or something see if they can service it even though I didn't buy the product from them :S

-Cal

p.s: not sure how much it has been heating up roomy has been the one using it and we were playing WoW on it though that was nearly a month or two ago now and the only thing it has been used for since that time was facebook and e-mail and it hasnt been overly hot in the house with the ac and such on so not sure how else besides the battery mabye that it got hotenough to fry the card.... its a nvida card I cant remember the exact type and an amd processor so not sure if the card is part of the board or if there is a chance it has come loose :S which could be as there is a decent amount of diffrent vibrations agisnt or on the table the laptop was sitting on.

okie now that i have rambled on some more I will wait to see if this changes any options around that were suggested.

again -Cal

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:26:11 PM »
You can try sending it back to HP if it was recalled but though they may replace the battery I don't know whether they will replace the video card or not. You can try sending it to them and not mention the video card.

Otherwise I'd try BestBuy or a local computer shop.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 08:29:11 PM »
Yeah, a local techie should be willing to fix it, or at least tell you what's wrong with it, regardless of who made it and where it was bought. ;P

Just don't let anyone rip you off.