Author Topic: Single Player Mod  (Read 11448 times)

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Single Player Mod
« on: June 02, 2009, 04:20:20 PM »
I have been bored and wanting to build lately and decided to do a single player mod.

I have a few ideas as to story and what not. But I can't decide on the setting. Would you guys rather play on an official setting like FR, etc? Or would you rather the whole world be completely made from scratch?

I am leaning towards FR because it's already set up and it would make building a lot easier. But made from scratch would be cool too. I just figured that I would ask you guys since I value your opinions. :D
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Single Player Mod
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 04:34:05 PM »
I think going with one of the established settings is best since that gives you source material to draw from. Either FR, Planescape or Ravenloft, I'm not to big on Greyhawk or Dragonlance.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2009, 04:46:53 PM »
I'm pretty bored with DL atm. Greyhawk isn't a big thing for me either.

I will probably go with FR just because I know more about it than the others. I just wanted to get some input from people to figure everything out. Im gonna try to make it pretty long too.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2009, 05:32:32 PM »
Oh and I think I am going to use the CEP as well. Do you guys think that I should?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 06:48:28 PM »
I think kind of a mix. Like using FR, but like making up a place within a place in Faerûn or something with it's own uniqueness. This way you have something to draw from where necessary, but you're making your own shit up where you want to make it up. So it would be like it was from scratch, but you would have FR be in the background simply to fall back on. I don't know if you'll get what I'm trying to say... haha, oh well.

Yeah, I think CEP is good.

Well, there's my opinion. :D

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 10:56:10 PM »
Oh and I think I am going to use the CEP as well. Do you guys think that I should?
Definitely use the CEP. With the new auto-updater it's super convenient to use now.

Also, if you want to experiment with the 1.69 custom feat system you may want to check this out: Player Tool Framework by The Krit

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 11:01:27 PM by 420 »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 12:33:43 AM »
I get what you are saying Hell. Kinda like Amia/Arelith in multi-player. I could check that out. I will see what I come up with while I brainstorm what all I want the players to be doing and what not.

I might have to talk with you more 420 on implementing the CEP and using it's features to the max 420 if you don't mind.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 01:21:57 AM »
I get what you are saying Hell. Kinda like Amia/Arelith in multi-player. I could check that out. I will see what I come up with while I brainstorm what all I want the players to be doing and what not.
I just restarted playing on Arelith again last week. My character is a dwarf named Coeus Fumesmith (you can guess where he came from). I decided my old character was just too fucked up because I didn't realize they used a custom crafting system when I made my crafting wizard. So all his skills were useless. He ended up begging for money to buy food.

I might have to talk with you more 420 on implementing the CEP and using it's features to the max 420 if you don't mind.
Always. Just PM/email me or post to this forum, or the BioWare CEP forum or the Official CEP Forum and I'll see it.

You may want to start players off in a starter area and place a Mil/Body Tailor down (as seen in the CEP starter mods). I worked on updating them for the CEP and they can be used to change body parts and clothing to CEP content. This is especially useful since PC's can't normally choose a CEP head during character creation without having an additional file in their override.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 12:24:55 PM by 420 »

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 01:43:26 AM »
Yeah I play on Amia a lot.

I might add the PRC too (I think that's what I need. Because you can then use the CEP weapons and have the weapon focus and stuff in them. Thought that would be a pretty cool thing to have. I might have some scripting questions as well. I haven't done anything in a while and was never that good anyway lol. That's another reason why I wanted to work on a big mod too. Just to get back in the groove of it.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 06:34:21 PM »
Been working mainly on areas right now. Should be quite large I think haha.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 12:34:27 AM »
I had a few questions....

1. Would you prefer it to be a large mod with lots to explore or a smaller mod that is to the point?
     2. What length sounds good to everyone? I was thinking to try and make it be as close to expansion as possible. Like 20 hours maybe more....
     3. Would you like to start at level one and work up to X level or start at a higher level?
     4. What about quests? How does one main quest and a ton of side quests sound? Or would you prefer it to just be the main quest and that's it?

Thanks. :) I just want this to be as thorough as possible. Trying to make this really good. I want people to enjoy it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2009, 09:14:36 AM »
lol well from the looks of it you're asking two questions:

1) Short Mod
2) Long Mod

I prefer large Mods with lots to explore.  I also prefer lots and lots of side quests.  Some long side quests ala BG2 are nice.  Starting at level 5 sounds good.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
I had a few questions....

1. Would you prefer it to be a large mod with lots to explore or a smaller mod that is to the point?
     2. What length sounds good to everyone? I was thinking to try and make it be as close to expansion as possible. Like 20 hours maybe more....
     3. Would you like to start at level one and work up to X level or start at a higher level?
     4. What about quests? How does one main quest and a ton of side quests sound? Or would you prefer it to just be the main quest and that's it?

1. Small and to the point.
2. Expansion size sounds good.
3. Maybe start at level 3 because level 1 is just too lame. Or start at level one but provide some simple intro quests like Baldur's Gate.
4. I like side-quests.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
I've always liked the idea of starting at max level and using characters I have created already and the difficulty is set at that level.  It's one of the reasons I lose patience with server vault and hardly played them.
1. Small and to the point.
def fin net lee

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2009, 06:47:00 PM »
I would say starting at level 1, but do it the way 420 mentioned with some neat little intro quests and whatnot that get you started. However, starting in the middle of hell sounds excellent. What do I mean? I love game intro's where you start out right in the middle of conflict. Like beginning in a jail cell and getting out and finding out what put you there. Or starting unconscious from a battle you don't get to find out why you're in right away. Wanting to find out what got you into that situation in the first place is alluring to me.

As for the length, I think neither long or short, but both. A mod where the gameplay is long and entertaining if you want it to be, or short and to the point if that's what you desire. There's a main plot and you can choose to stick to that as much as possible and have a short but fun gameplay, or choose to do many side quests that increase the length of the game, without spoiling it because it's too drawn out. Many side quests can be small or mediocre, while a few could be big and have a big impact on the world the player is involved in.

Heh, I guess I like a lot of middle-ground. :P