Author Topic: GW today  (Read 10009 times)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
GW today
« on: March 21, 2009, 04:17:53 PM »
Get on.  Elessar and I are doing THK Hard Mode.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: GW today
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 05:15:10 PM »
Wow haven't played in a long time.  What's THK?

How's GW2 coming along?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 06:03:52 PM »
Wow haven't played in a long time.  What's THK?

How's GW2 coming along?
C'mon Mo, I haven't played GW since it was about a year old and even I remember the horror that was Thunder Head Keep.

I don't even know where my GW disk is, but I hate it so much I'd probably just throw it away if I found it.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 06:11:43 PM »
Thunderhead Keep.  And Arenanet's been pretty tight-lipped about how the development of GW2 is coming along.  A while ago they released a letter, which I can't find at the moment, which basically said the development was going well, even though it was taking a little longer than they had originally expected (I think the initial news release suggested that there would be a public beta in the second half of 2008, but obviously that hasn't happened), and that they don't want to unveil it too early because they want players to be wowed when they finally get it without tons of frustration from glitches that haven't been worked out yet.

So far I know:
-the geography has been slightly messed up because of cataclysmic dragon awakenings
-there are several new playable races, including ones we haven't met yet
-there will be movement in the z-axis in addition to the xy-plane (i.e. jumping, falling, swimming, etc....)
-much of the game will be in the style of a persistent world where you can meet players in the wilderness, but there will still be instanced game play opportunities
-a new form of pvp has been introduced (it sounds very interesting actually)
-Eye of the North's Hall of Monuments will be used to create a legacy between the current game world and the next for linked accounts (name reservations will also operate this way)

err...I probably know more but it's been a while since I've read anything new so I can't remember much.

Personally I'm really excited to hear anything about it.  I still enjoy the original game (the best imo), and the original campaign is my favorite of the four (maximum replayability I think).  I was really hoping they would at least release some more concept art for players to oggle at in the meantime.

Honestly, Eye of the North was a great expansion campaign.  I think they had free trial keys available somewhere online a while back - they may still.  I recommend trying it if you can.

Oh, and 420 (was typing the above to Mo when you posted), they've vastly toned down Thunderhead Keep in normal mode.  It's not nearly as extraordinarily hard as it used to be.  It's still a difficult mission if you don't know what you're doing, but if you pay attention it's doable.  Hard Mode is probably on par with what it was on release (I'm also accounting for my inexperience when I first tried it), but it's can be handled with a coordinated team.  Meclar and I got slammed with a ridiculous boss spawn, but then we succeeded with another human monk and 5 heroes between the three of us.  We actually very nearly didn't survive - it was down to Meclar and the other monk, and Meclar resurrected me and within the next 15 seconds I had most of the party alive again.  Unyielding Aura for the win!

So in short - the mission (all of them really) has been balanced out since you guys last tried it.  And GW doesn't need the discs.  You just need the launcher which you can download from the website.

-Elessar

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »
I really have no interest in GW or GW2. However, it is pleasing to hear that they are taking their time to get things right in development. That's definitely the way to go, in my opinion. Quick bug-filled releases are bullshit, and I think that they should always finish their work before they release a game. Seriously, games that are only half completed really piss me off. However, I wish I could go back in time and play NWN for the first time again... That shit was ecstasy the first time around. Can't remember what version I had to begin with, 1.21 or something I think. I didn't get plat edition till like 2005 I believe.

I wouldn't mind giving either GW or GW2 a try sometime, but they don't look like my type of game so I'll probably won't ever go out and buy them. I'm assuming, of course, that GW2 will be the same type of game.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:42:53 PM »
Well if you really get the urge to screw around with GW you can pick up a trial key from their website. (guildwars.com)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 01:48:31 PM »
Ah Thunderhead Keep.  Honestly I don't think I ever failed that mission.  It's annoying long but as far as difficult? Nah.  It's only hard in PUGs cause people don't know what they are doing for the most part.

I could see myself dust GW off and get in there if people are really interested in playing.  I don't have Eye of the North though.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 02:35:32 PM »
Well, Meclar's on regularly, and I try to pop on when I can.  You should come on sometime and we'll do a few missions hard mode. :)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:23:16 PM »
Well, Meclar's on regularly, and I try to pop on when I can.  You should come on sometime and we'll do a few missions hard mode. :)

I will get on.  What times are you both normally on?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 04:37:46 PM »
Meclar's usually on pretty often, and I'm more likely to be online on the weekends, but I can't really put definite hours.....we're both on right now though (but not for long for me because I have lots of homework to do tonight.)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:37:02 PM »
Crap it seems like they got rid of our guild :(

When i first logged on I started in our guild hall but then got booted out.  That sucks.

What are your screen names.  I don't have you on my Friends List.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 06:45:23 PM »
Err...not quite.  About two and a half months ago now Dunkin logged in and decided he was going to start playing actively again.  He said he wanted to rebuild and start playing with new people, and asked how often I played because I happened to be on.  I told him fairly regularly (or at least I log on once a week or so, even if I don't play), so he decided that he'd start from scratch and tossed you and Tammy Knockers because neither of you had logged on in a year or something.  Now it's been nearly two months since he logged in though, which is a tad irritating.

Mine is Elessar Telrunya and Mec's is Meclar Matterhorn...he has a second account, but if he's on it he's usually also on that one via two windows accounts.

I'll sit with my screen up if you log in, but I'll probably be doing homework.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 06:49:57 PM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 09:19:12 PM »
lol funny.  Could have sworn though that I inherited ownership status of the guild automatically since he became inactive a while ago. 

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 09:24:08 PM »
And I inherited it from you when you went inactive, and since I actually was active, I never lost it.  I gave it back to him when he returned since he did found the guild.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 10:00:07 PM »
And I inherited it from you when you went inactive, and since I actually was active, I never lost it.  I gave it back to him when he returned since he did found the guild.

Aha! So it's all YOUR fault I'm out! lol  Nicely done :P

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 10:32:37 PM »
Well, if you want back in, just tell me.  Leadership's going to default to me soon anyways if Dunkin doesn't log in.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 12:41:44 AM »
Well, if you want back in, just tell me.  Leadership's going to default to me soon anyways if Dunkin doesn't log in.

How long until that happens?

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 06:27:35 AM »
A few days...weeks?  I think it defaults at two months absence.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »
Don't use Meclar so much the elementalist sucks, better off with a fast casting nuker.  I'm working on getting the Protector title for my monk and Skill Hunter title.  Using my warrior to run my Survivor around and Cartography.  My ranger is going for the Guardian title 0/25 and Skill Hunter title.  My elementalist, mesmer and necromancer collect dust and my survivor (3rd attempt) he's at level 5 in post-searing working towards well the Survivor title. Oh and the 8th character slot is storage for runes for heroes I don't have yet.

Erujuj Matterhorn 1st account
Karg Matterhorn 2nd account

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:05 PM »
Level 5 and post? What's the rush?  I think my survivor was level 7 by the time I took her to post....she's always several levels ahead of her region.

Offline Meclar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 09:56:16 PM »
Yeah but having doen all the mission in pre 2 previous times and depising the idea of grinidng I just blew through pre and he's ready to get some post missions and bonuses 2000xp why bother with 250-500?