Author Topic: something coming soonish...  (Read 11196 times)

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
something coming soonish...
« on: February 07, 2009, 05:22:31 PM »
It occurred to me about half an hour ago that I can actually host a dedicated server now that I have a computer in my room.  I'm still sketchy on the details so far, but I'm leaning towards making something server vault.....no idea if I'll use CEP or not yet though.  I may scrap the archipelago concept entirely, but I'm not decided on that yet.

Details to come - until then!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: something coming soonish...
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »
I vote CEP. =P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 07:31:54 PM »
CEP is pretty nice now that there is now an Auto-Updater Tool for CEP. You must have CEP v2.1 or higher to get it.

Best bet is to get CEP v2.2 then run the auto-updater.

To use the auto-updater extract CEP_Update and erf.exe into your \NWN directory and run CEP_Update.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 09:27:33 PM »
It really does add a lot to the game, and most people who still play know what it is and how to find it. It's not like we get many newbs anymore.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 09:59:30 PM »
I've started using CEP material, so it's definitely in.  I'm definitely still going with the concept of an Archipelago...only spelt right this time because now it bothers me that it was spelt wrong before.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »
I'm definitely still going with the concept of an Archipelago...only spelt right this time because now it bothers me that it was spelt wrong before.
Aw, shit. Elessar just tipped over the irony bucket... =P

Anyway, I'd be interested in taking a look from time to time, possibly test and/or bug test things. It doesn't matter what kind of mod you plan on making it; I'm hittin' nwn pretty hard right now and would be willing to help out regardless.

P.S. You're not British! Are you!? =P

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »
I'm definitely still going with the concept of an Archipelago...only spelt right this time because now it bothers me that it was spelt wrong before.
Looks like someone beat you to it:
Escaped from the Underdark : Archipelago

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 04:31:19 PM »
I seen that on the front page of the vault awhile ago.

Nice of them to choose such a long name, Archipelago is still open. =D

WTF GODDAMMIT... this stupid fucking spellchecker. YES, ARCHIPELAGO *IS* A WORD. (fuck Mo and his shitty smilies)  4yrfhur8fyh85rfg

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 06:12:17 PM »
Sounds neat, actually...I may check it out later.  Progress is coming slowly, mostly because I'm busy with school, but I'm going to be on vacation this week, so hopefully I'll make some headway into things.  I got so mad the other day because I was extremely happy with a conversation file I was writing and then I forgot to save it.....*sigh* alas, it will be rewritten.  eventually.  I may just go to Borders/Barnes and Noble and pick up whatever region-specific DnD books they have and make some place off of that, since I haven't gotten much done anyways.

Thanks for letting me know!

-Elessar

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 09:33:34 PM »
I actually really like archipelagos... why buy anything? I'd just pick a place off of a map of Faerun...

Here's a link to mine:
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/HeLLMasteRHeLL/Faerun.jpg

Since LM won't let me upload it (50kb limit it says), I put it on photobucket.

Edit: Right-click-> save as; so you can zoom in farther.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 10:17:31 PM »
I have a copy with my FRCS on the shelf next to me, but thanks.  I dunno, I just felt like...well, someone's already done one.  Honestly, looking through the website, they remind me of the folks at Arelith, which is definitely not my style.  I'll probably continue with the Archipelagos theme, just because it's an easy excuse to use a lot of different terrains so I don't get bored. :p  I am reconsidering CEP though....mostly because what I pulled it for was something I know I can do without, I just can't remember how...it might require scripting.  Anyways, it's that visual that would have an area covered in water, like in the bath groups, only at higher z coordinates...I know I can do it without CEP because World of Iniquity has it right in their initial entry.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 10:59:47 PM »
Oh, I personally like CEP more for the wider range of placeable and item graphics. =D

A grand adventure can be made out of a single house. It doesn't matter who has made what, in my opinion the possibilities are endless.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2009, 03:06:38 AM »
  Anyways, it's that visual that would have an area covered in water, like in the bath groups, only at higher z coordinates...I know I can do it without CEP because World of Iniquity has it right in their initial entry.
It sounds like the water tile, which is used in Smith Hold, which uses no hacks. Ask 420 about that. I know it was demonstrated in the "Sinking Ship" demo mod, and was made for the PotSC premium mod.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2009, 12:52:03 PM »
It sounds like the water tile, which is used in Smith Hold, which uses no hacks. Ask 420 about that. I know it was demonstrated in the "Sinking Ship" demo mod, and was made for the PotSC premium mod.
It's actually a VFX used by the Tile Magic system introduced in HotU (or was it SoU).

Just check out the visualeffects.2da file starting at line 401, there are VFX called SCENE_WATER, SCENE_GRASS etc. Just apply one of those effects to an invisible object and set the object at the height you want the graphic to be at.

Oh, I personally like CEP more for the wider range of placeable and item graphics.
Also, with the addition of CRAP, all items now have a graphic other than a sack when they are put on the ground. So when you drop a pair of boots, it looks like a pair of boots. Adds a lot to the immersion.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2009, 12:55:59 PM »
Thanks cuch.

I'm polishing up some coding on the death system right now.  I just need to alter a few more scripts and fix a few resrefs.  Hopefully if I've been meticulous enough, it'll go off without a hitch, but more likely at least something's going to go wrong along the way.  Anyone available for testing either later today or later this week?

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »
Why server vault?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2009, 07:27:12 PM »
Looks like the CEP updater was updated so the link I posted is broken.

Best bet is to just go to the CEP v2.2 download page and get CEP_UPDATER.ZIP.

To use the auto-updater extract CEP_Update and erf.exe into your \NWN directory and run CEP_Update.