Author Topic: The Reason NWN2 Continues to Suck  (Read 13923 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
The Reason NWN2 Continues to Suck
« on: December 14, 2008, 03:01:36 PM »
Alright, I haven't had NWN2 installed on my computer in well over a year but I'm helping Xen with scripts for NWN2 GodSpire so I'm trying to get used to it again.

First problem, even if you have the full .NET Framework installed (3.5 sp1, 2.0 sp2 and 1.0 sp2) you still must let NWN2 install .NET or the toolset won't open. What version it's installing and where it's installing it is anyone's guess.

When I finally got the fucker running and started to actually script I noticed that there doesn't seem to be a list of constants anywhere (ie ITEM_PROPERTY_AC_BONUS). I have to open up the NWN1 toolset and copy over the constants I want from there.

Not only that but the formatting of the .2da files that come with NWN2 is totally fuckered so you must use the NWN1 .2da files in order to make any sense of it and then try and figure out what is different between the NWN1 and NWN2 versions.

Basically, Obsidian has done everything in their power to make building in NWN2 as confusing, painful and difficult as possible.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Reason NWN2 Continues to Suck
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 09:01:38 PM »
First problem, even if you have the full .NET Framework installed (3.5 sp1, 2.0 sp2 and 1.0 sp2) you still must let NWN2 install .NET or the toolset won't open. What version it's installing and where it's installing it is anyone's guess.
I think I mentioned something about that before. I've had that issue with a few games myself, actually.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 09:09:30 PM »
I think I mentioned something about that before. I've had that issue with a few games myself, actually.

Yes blame Microsoft. .net 3.5 is not backwards compatible with say 2.x.  I work for a software company which has a few products developed on .net 2.0, we've run into support issues with people installing 3.5.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 09:38:45 PM »
Yes blame Microsoft. .net 3.5 is not backwards compatible with say 2.x.  I work for a software company which has a few products developed on .net 2.0, we've run into support issues with people installing 3.5.
Oh fine, then it's not entirely Obsidian's fault.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2008, 06:30:26 AM »
That was my main problem with installing Hitman 4.