Author Topic: Dragon Age  (Read 27965 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Re: Dragon Age
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2010, 09:42:02 AM »
I see, I'm rolling through on casual, so there's no friendly fire.

pfft why are you such a noob?  How are you enjoying it so far??
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 09:43:57 AM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 02:28:32 AM »
I'm a casual player playing on casual. Yes indeed. ;)

It's good and fun. Not half as good as everyone I know say it is or was going to be. My friend Joe, before I bought it, was telling me how it was comparable to crack. Now I simply think he was on crack and had the two confused.

It's an excellent game, but nothing revolutionary as some people would make you think. I believe I'm farther than you are, but I haven't played in days and I'm on the easiest setting so it's not surprising. When I'm finished, I'm going to do a re-play with a mage (I'm a warrior, human) and use the arcane warrior specialization which seems nothing short of awesome. I only need to unlock two classes, Blood Mage and Reaver. Since the entirety of my gameplay was based around being as good as a person can possibly imagine being. Even when there was nothing to gain from it. (selflessness only equaled by my Fable II character)

I'm playing the Xbox version, I realized after I bought it that I should have got the PC version, but I'm cool with it. I got some of the extra content free with the game off a code that came with it. I already had Microsoft points from before, so I used some to get the other bonus content which was cheaper than the bonus content I was getting free. Pretty lame to begin with, but I hate not having the entire game.

I didn't expect there to be any bugs really, but I was a bit surprised when I went to Orzammar to find a decent few weird little bugs there, in comparison to the rest of the game. Just weird shit that doesn't really matter. With the exception of one thing I found in the elven camp. The game always freezes on the storyteller's face for a few seconds when exiting the conversation. lol. It would always freak me out because I thought the game froze up.

I like the different beginnings though. That's pretty bad-ass. My very first disappointment though, when playing Dragon Age, was when I found out you don't speak. You got to pick a voice but you don't talk in convos. You're silent, and half the time people just continue talking as though your input was never really there. This is probably mostly because of playing Mass Effect beforehand, however.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:31:59 AM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »
The Xbox version was rated lowest between PC (highest) and PS3.  There are known graphical anomalies on Xbox.  Due it it being a piece of shit hardware :P
Yes I'm playing a good character also, so I'm pretty sure I missed my first opportunities to learn blood mage and I know i missed arcane warrior, pretty impressed I even found that to begin with, I check every corner of every room.  I'd have liked Morrigan to be a blood mage because so hopefully there will be another opportunity to learn it.  My main character is a rogue/duelist/ranger, dual wielding dagger.  I was almost able to solo the Proving, except the last battle required a little help ;)  I also solo'ed the Brood Mother, as my party was wiped before she was <75% health.  I don't mind the fact that the main character doesn't speak, would have been nice but no big deal.  I never played Mass Effect.  If you tell me it kick ass I'll get Mass Effect 2.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 02:33:10 PM »
The first expansion has been announced and will ship in March for $30 on PC ($40 console).

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 05:34:09 PM »
The first expansion has been announced and will ship in March for $30 on PC ($40 console).
Ha! Fuckin' knew it! Shoulda waited.
Anyway, I wasn't in the mood for another shooter and those were the only games on my list before Dragon Age. So Dragon Age it was.

Like I said, the bugs are very minor. You have to nitpick to really care, and I've only found them in Orzammar, other than the one in the Dalish Camp. I really don't find the Xbox version to be shit... unless the story is somehow different and the gameplay is changed between it and the other versions, I really don't see how it can be any worse other than bugs and that sort of problem. The problems encountered on that end were minor. Nonetheless, I still wished I would have bought the PC version, but at least I can add to my gamerscore by unlocking achievements I guess. lol. I have heard some people comment that the console versions are way easier than the computer version... but... isn't that what the difficulty settings are for?

Bad thing is, I can't hack the piss out of the game after I play through it a couple of times since I'm on console. =(

As for Mass Effect, it does kick ass. I like it better than Dragon Age. Despite it being old. It's an RPG. But it's real time combat like DA, although you use guns; but it's not like a typical FPS would be. (obviously not first person either) I am much awaiting the second in the series.

I don't think you'll get that second opportunity to learn Blood Mage. I believe that opportunity was in Redcliffe castle. Reaver was when siding with the cultists in the urn of ashes. I wanted to make Morrigan a blood mage as well and missed out on the same opportunity. The nice thing is, you can unlock (even by buying it) a specialty, and then reload and still have it unlocked. So you can partially be evil to unlock a specialty, unlock it and reload, or buy a tome and unlock it and reload (thus saving your precious sovereigns).

I'm still regretting not buying the PC version so don't rub it in, asshat. :P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 05:37:40 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 07:04:32 PM »
Oh...I massacred those crazy cultists and killed their dragon god :) Guessed I missed Reaver too.  I won't do that unlock reload stuff...that's cheating :P
Maybe blood mage and reaver will be for sale later on.  Gold is tough to come by I find.  I spend a lot on ingredients for potions.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 10:06:15 PM »
Cheating!? Peh! If I had the PC version I'd make a trainer for it. How's that for cheating!?

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2010, 01:02:08 AM »
Cheating!? Peh! If I had the PC version I'd make a trainer for it. How's that for cheating!?

lol

Would you play through DA three times?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2010, 04:22:23 AM »
Depends; it's one of those games that I can definitely replay. (NWN original campaign, lost count over ten times; beat that shit Dragon Age) However, I kinda got bored and haven't played much in days... still have yet to finish my first playthrough, yet still oddly excited about how evil I intend to be on my second.

Between reading and hacking... errr... half-assed hacking Spore, (fucking float values have been pissing me off) I haven't found myself getting on the 360 much. I recently bought the GA expansion for Spore as well, as I had previously intended. Although that specifically hasn't been what has had the majority of my attention.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 12:51:07 AM »
Just finished DA tonight.  Highly recommended.  I'm starting a second play-through now.  Amazingly I finished the game while only completing 51% of Dragon Age.  I wonder where the missed content is, besides the other origin story lines of course.

I just started an Elf mage, on nightmare difficulty. 

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 06:04:30 PM »
Good luck with the friendly fire Mo lol its amazin how quickly you can blow your party to pieces with fireball :( ( trust me I know started elf mage) the only time to get blood mage is in redcliff with the demon to my knowledge and if you do be ready for bad things again just as a warning save before you do it that way you can reconsider your choice lol ( again something I learned the hard way)

If I could figure out the DA char posting thing I would link mine like Mo did but like Hell im playing the 360 version and everytime I play it tells me it cant connect to the storage server -shrugs-

oh and I have a dalish rogue as well and let me tell you there is nothing more satisfying than running through broken circle and shooting a mage with my bow for 261 damage with slaying arrow and getting the heavy hitter achivment lol

-Cal

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
lol 261 dmg, nice.  Doesn't beat my 100% hit rate though :P
I get the profile timeout problem too.  Maybe too many people are trying to connect at the same time.  Not sure but I know my online profile doesn't update too quickly.  It still says I'm level 19 when I'm level 22.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 03:20:40 AM »
I think I had over 51% and I haven't finished it yet... Or maybe it's just the world explored percentage I'm thinking of.

I haven't played in weeks.... pretty much got bored of it around the landsmeet period and haven't been back to it since. Can't blame it all on DA though, I admit to being distracted from reading and hacking Spore... lol.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 10:01:30 AM »
I think I had over 51% and I haven't finished it yet... Or maybe it's just the world explored percentage I'm thinking of.

I haven't played in weeks.... pretty much got bored of it around the landsmeet period and haven't been back to it since. Can't blame it all on DA though, I admit to being distracted from reading and hacking Spore... lol.

You're at the end might as well finish it.  You can do it in 1-2 hours after the landsmeet.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 06:37:07 PM »
Meh. It's not about how much time it takes, it's about being bored of it. Don't really have any inclination to go back and finish it other than to have it finished... which.. there isn't much point in doing if that's the only reason for doing it.

I'm sure I will later.

Even though that's what I said about Lost Odyssey and Infinite Undiscovery.

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:36 PM »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »
BUG ALERT!

There's a pretty nasty bug in Dragon Age Awakening.  Make sure to create a special save point before entering the Silverite Mine, and do not overwrite it.  This will make sure you do not lose too much time if you encounter the bug.

Information about the bug can be found (SPOILER WARNING) here

« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:35:34 PM by Mo »

Offline Calia

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2010, 11:50:27 AM »
BUG ALERT!

There's a pretty nasty bug in Dragon Age Awakening.  Make sure to create a special save point before entering the Silverite Mine, and do not overwrite it.  This will make sure you do not lose too much time if you encounter the bug.

Information about the bug can be found (SPOILER WARNING) here

Any idea if this has been fixed through updates or not yet?

This is why I don't download any DLC for DA until about a week I learned after Return to Ostegar came out and screwed with my chars Specilizations and such

-Cal
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 06:26:56 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2010, 06:27:38 PM »
I totally just fixed your post for you. Tsk tsk, didn't you read my post about quotes? :P

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2010, 09:12:02 PM »
Any idea if this has been fixed through updates or not yet?

This is why I don't download any DLC for DA until about a week I learned after Return to Ostegar came out and screwed with my chars Specilizations and such

-Cal

Nope I don't know if it's been fixed yet.  You can avoid the bug by going into the Silverite mines without your main gear on your main char.  Go with shitty stuff that you wouldn't mind losing, though you probably wouldn't lose it.  I think the bug it caused by going into the mine with DLC gear equipped.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2010, 11:54:37 AM »
I might be getting this over the summer....after I upgrade my graphics card.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2010, 01:50:31 PM »
I might be getting this over the summer....after I upgrade my graphics card.
After reading this thread I don't know why you would want to buy this game. Seems like bug ridden and half-assed.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2010, 02:07:17 PM »
By this thread alone?  Doesn't sound too bad.  Do you continue playing your old characters in the expansion or do you start a new character?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2010, 03:39:19 PM »
420 has some vendetta against this game for some reason I can't understand.  Bitterness by Bioware's apparent abandonment to the NWN community is my best guess.

You can continue with your Origins char or start a new one.  Admittedly this is a big bug but it can be avoided.  Rest is solid so far as I can tell.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
Being able to start with an old character is a big bug or the silverite mine issue is a big bug?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2010, 05:08:12 PM »
Being able to start with an old character is a big bug or the silverite mine issue is a big bug?

The bug is in the mine.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: July 08, 2010, 09:56:41 AM »
Bioware announces Dragon Age 2 today :)

http://dragonage.bioware.com/da2/

Already available for pre-order.  No idea what the release date is.  I'm hoping this holiday season?  Only a year after the first game, is that unrealistic?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2010, 01:23:33 PM »

Already available for pre-order.  No idea what the release date is.  I'm hoping this holiday season?  Only a year after the first game, is that unrealistic?
Not if they started on it before finishing Dragon Age. Or worse, it could be something they had to cut from Dragon Age due to time constraints.

Considering that it took some 8 years to make the first Dragon Age I can only guess that all that development time went into making the game engine and graphics and the story itself was only an afterthought. Now that the resources are made, BioWare can just crap out sequels like oil in a gulf. (Too soon to make that joke?)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »
Not if they started on it before finishing Dragon Age. Or worse, it could be something they had to cut from Dragon Age due to time constraints.

Considering that it took some 8 years to make the first Dragon Age I can only guess that all that development time went into making the game engine and graphics and the story itself was only an afterthought. Now that the resources are made, BioWare can just crap out sequels like oil in a gulf. (Too soon to make that joke?)

They did mention that the graphics are totally updated and there are new game mechanics.  Not sure if it's a totally new game engine. I doubt that it is.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2010, 06:44:09 PM »
Now that the resources are made, BioWare can just crap out sequels like oil in a gulf. (Too soon to make that joke?)

Hilarious.

I haven't touched Dragon Age since the time I said I stopped playing it (or Lost Odyssey or Infinite Undiscovery, for that matter).