Author Topic: Game Thoughts  (Read 10892 times)

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« on: December 02, 2007, 02:35:23 AM »
Ok well just finished the game.  So I'm back to the start on Nightmare Mode.

Thoughts on game:

Overall the game is pretty fun, though by no means has it been memorable or set any standards.  Why?

Well the storyline is pretty good, unfortunately the game seemed too shallow and never really lived up to the potential.

Biggest negative:  Level design.  Repetitive.  Too much of the same tilesets.  So many levels look identical.  Diablo 1 had more interesting levels.  I want to fight demons in Hell not in sewer after sewer after subway tunnel.  That being said, where were the flippin' demons?  Besides a couple of bosses this was basically Resident Evil: ZOMBIES and ghosts.  

Quests were pretty bad.  Always the same crap.  This is a negative in basically every game these days though.

Bugs...yup too many and super annoying ones too.

Ending...shit.  Yes we know there will be an expansion, give us a right and proper ending anyway.  Fuckers.

Overall the game is too easy.  3/4 of the way through, due to the repetitive level design, I just wanted to get to the end of the game in hopes of actually leaving the sewers and train stations and going some place interesting. Alas that never did happen.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2007, 04:39:11 AM »
Yeah, sounds like a regular game these days.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2007, 05:16:46 AM »
Yeah, Mo, that is basically it. I havent seen the end as Im having trouble willing myself to finish act four.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:19:41 AM »
I just couldnt take it anymore i stopped playing it for now at least until they fix most bugs or add new content, i cancelled my subscription aswell because theres no point to it yet, just crashing every now and then its pretty annoying.

Im playing Mythos now another flagship diablo 2 like rpg that is in closed beta it will be free to play and it has better lvl design and skillsystem, and sadly in the only aspect that hellgate is better, is in the graphics...

So besides that i got tabula rasa yesterday, i wanted to buy FFXI after i watched a video of it with some skills and abilities, but you cant buy and download it :/ so i got TR :).
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:25:59 AM by tyrael084 »

Chard!

Game Thoughts
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2007, 09:20:27 AM »
Yay! Glad I didn't buy it.

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2007, 10:31:42 AM »
I uninstaled Hellgate London yesterday, not cuz of bugs or crashes just because the game sucks for me, can't believe i waisted money on it....:(
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 11:50:48 AM »
I just couldnt take it anymore i stopped playing it for now at least until they fix most bugs or add new content, i cancelled my subscription aswell because theres no point to it yet, just crashing every now and then its pretty annoying.

[snapback]38654[/snapback]

Ya there doesn't seem a point to the subscriptions just yet.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Seems odd that everyone seems so disappointed by Hellgate when everyone liked Guild Wars so much.

I thought Guild Wars was a poorly thought out piece of garbage. I mean the beta pissed me off so bad that I only bought the game to see if the full game was as half-assed as the beta.

With Hellgate I actually had a blast playing the beta and I haven't been able to stop playing Hellgate since it was released.

I suppose that in the end I expected Guild Wars to be a lot more like D2 and Hellgate is exactly what I expected it to be.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 01:49:06 PM »
Seems odd that everyone seems so disappointed by Hellgate when everyone liked Guild Wars so much.

I thought Guild Wars was a poorly thought out piece of garbage. I mean the beta pissed me off so bad that I only bought the game to see if the full game was as half-assed as the beta.

With Hellgate I actually had a blast playing the beta and I haven't been able to stop playing Hellgate since it was released.

I suppose that in the end I expected Guild Wars to be a lot more like D2 and Hellgate is exactly what I expected it to be.

[snapback]38658[/snapback]

Well the two biggest problems with Hellgate are none-existant in GW.  The highly repetitive game play and level design in Hellgate is in stark contrast to Guild Wars beautifully designed levels.  The story line in GW, while less interesting, flows much better.

Now on to bugs.  Hellgate has many.  GW didn't have many or they were vastly less apparent.  Their client-server architecture (Anets) is amazing.  The best multiplayer network I've seen yet.  Updates were seamless and often.  No connection errors, no crashing.  The UI in GW is much better, granted HG is improving in that, but honestly why didn't they just copy GW's out of the gate?  No invisible party members in GW.  No memory leaks.  These are imo show stopping bugs and there's no reason in Hell (pun) thats HG should have got out of beta with these bugs.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 01:50:05 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2007, 04:23:53 PM »
The highly repetitive game play and level design in Hellgate is in stark contrast to Guild Wars beautifully designed levels.  The story line in GW, while less interesting, flows much better.
[snapback]38659[/snapback]
That's another one of those expectation things. I was hoping for randomly generated maps in Guild Wars and I found the mission maps extremely tedious because there isn't even any variation in the placement of creatures except for the occasional difference in bosses.

As far as the storyline, I found the inflexible aspect of the missions so intolerable that I never had a chance to experience the storyline. I went through the entire game 3 times without knowing (or caring) about any of the story or the NPCs because I didn't bother doing the missions.

I find the NPCs in Hellgate much more intriguing and, while the storyline was a bit jarring at first, once I got used to the terminology and pace of the game the storyline seemed to flow much better. Of course that could also have something to do with the fact that I have been through the first 3 chapters at least 6 times counting the beta.

Anet's unarguable server superiority is based on the fact that it was designed by the creators of b.net. If only Anet had designed the game servers and Flagship designed the game it would have been perfect.

Of course, that probably would have happened if both groups still worked for Blizzard (as well as a lot more beta testing).

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 07:05:19 PM »
That's another one of those expectation things. I was hoping for randomly generated maps in Guild Wars and I found the mission maps extremely tedious because there isn't even any variation in the placement of creatures except for the occasional difference in bosses.

[snapback]38660[/snapback]

You bring up a good point.  Larger maps and more randomized encounters probably could serve GW well.  Although it would make it a lot harder.  3/4 of the strategy behind beating high level areas is knowing exactly what kind and where the monsters are.  Maybe GW2 which is going to be more persistent world type will address that.

As for HGL.  I don't want to spoil anything, but the final level was a quite the let down.  And let me know what you think of the "ending" heheh...I'm pretty sure you'll hate it.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 07:07:57 PM »
The lack of level design and the sameness of the creature encounters are teh two things that bug me the most about HGL. However I knew this would always be the case since the beta as the story is so localized. I do find that the randomess of the appearance of hellrifts and passages refreshing. The demons need to hire a new architect though because every damn rift features a big staircase overlooking a gazeebo! What HGL really lacks are freeroaming areas, where you can just go out and brave the streets to make your own way to other stations or safehouses even. HGL scores over GW one in better use of its 3D areas. You can jump up on top of objects, climb up scaffold etc. Though i wish there was a lot more of this. HGL has tactical movement. GW never had that becuse simply put there was no way to miss a target unless you were cursed or your target was buffed to dodge. Therefore a tactical re-deployment, or shitting yourself and running like a cowardly monkey, was pretty much a futile action in GW. Lastly i don't like the GW skill system of aqcuiring skills as a quest reward, and especially the elite skills that you can only acquire by finding and killing Boss X, out on the plains of Houston We Have A Negative On That Orbit Trajectory. I really appreciate teh HGL and Diablo systems because I can see what will be available and can plan out a build rather than the trial and error, configure and re-configure style of GW.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2007, 11:54:19 PM »
Ya.  Still waiting for that perfect game to come along. I still have faith in Bioware to deliver the goods.  Too bad they sold out to EA who sold out to Microsoft who hijacked Mass Effect for the Xbox 360 only.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2007, 12:51:22 AM »
Well, I obviously still perfer GW. I agree with the level repeditiveness but the PvP make up for it. HG does have a better skill acquiring system but the levels all look exactly the same. I dont care if the basic level design is randomized, I can pretty much figure out where to go after one time thru it. And hellgates piss me off, "OMG will it be a chest or ancient blood." Terribly boring and fairly pointless.

I really think that Guild Wars 2 may be the game to wait for. As far as I can tell the PvE will be basically like WoW but the game will have better graphics and far better PvP.

My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2007, 02:12:01 AM »
Ya.  Still waiting for that perfect game to come along. I still have faith in Bioware to deliver the goods.  Too bad they sold out to EA who sold out to Microsoft who hijacked Mass Effect for the Xbox 360 only.
[snapback]38663[/snapback]
Oh ye of so great faith, I admire your tenacity. Ye shall hold true to the one path for as long as ye shall live, ever full with hope of that day of salvation. Alas upon your death ye shall feel the greatest of dissappointments as at last ye understand that all your waiting upon hopes and dreams were but good life wasted. When we meet in the hereafter I shall greet ye warmly, take the torch from your hand, and walk with ye into the long dark of eternity.

Oh and for those of you who give GW glowing reviews for it's relativley bug free release, don't forget that it went through over 6 months of open betas and featured the chat command "/bug." I'll wager a donut that you will not see that kind of preperation for a game ever again.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:20:59 AM by cuchulann »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2007, 05:14:24 AM »
The lack of level design and the sameness of the creature encounters are teh two things that bug me the most about HGL. However I knew this would always be the case since the beta as the story is so localized. I do find that the randomess of the appearance of hellrifts and passages refreshing. The demons need to hire a new architect though because every damn rift features a big staircase overlooking a gazeebo! What HGL really lacks are freeroaming areas, where you can just go out and brave the streets to make your own way to other stations or safehouses even. HGL scores over GW one in better use of its 3D areas. You can jump up on top of objects, climb up scaffold etc. Though i wish there was a lot more of this. HGL has tactical movement. GW never had that becuse simply put there was no way to miss a target unless you were cursed or your target was buffed to dodge. Therefore a tactical re-deployment, or shitting yourself and running like a cowardly monkey, was pretty much a futile action in GW. Lastly i don't like the GW skill system of aqcuiring skills as a quest reward, and especially the elite skills that you can only acquire by finding and killing Boss X, out on the plains of Houston We Have A Negative On That Orbit Trajectory. I really appreciate teh HGL and Diablo systems because I can see what will be available and can plan out a build rather than the trial and error, configure and re-configure style of GW.
[snapback]38662[/snapback]
Are you saying "teh" just to be annoying? :mellow:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2007, 09:28:22 AM »
Oh and for those of you who give GW glowing reviews for it's relativley bug free release, don't forget that it went through over 6 months of open betas and featured the chat command "/bug." I'll wager a donut that you will not see that kind of preperation for a game ever again.
[snapback]38666[/snapback]

Hey man.  That's the way it should be.  NCsoft is a great publisher unlike EA or Atari.  They probably don't want consumers being beta testers like they are for HGL and NWN2.  Anet gets my props for best initial release in recent memory.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2007, 08:59:41 PM »
Are you saying "teh" just to be annoying? :mellow:
[snapback]38669[/snapback]
Yes I am.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2007, 01:43:13 AM »
Yes I am.
[snapback]38679[/snapback]
Sweet.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »
And let me know what you think of the "ending" heheh...I'm pretty sure you'll hate it.
[snapback]38661[/snapback]
I really enjoyed the ending actually and the final level too. Unfortunately I had to go through it twice because my guardian dropped dead right before the end boss so I didn't get credit (though I did get all the drops). But it was much faster the second time through since Throbble and I knew what to expect.

Oh and the first time we saw the Hellgate we both had the "OH SHIT!" reaction, so that was pretty cool too.

The ending itself wasn't a surprise to me or Throbble because we basically guessed what was going to happen. I don't want to post any spoilers but I thought the ending movies were really cool.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2007, 11:00:17 PM »
I really enjoyed the ending actually and the final level too. Unfortunately I had to go through it twice because my guardian dropped dead right before the end boss so I didn't get credit (though I did get all the drops). But it was much faster the second time through since Throbble and I knew what to expect.

Oh and the first time we saw the Hellgate we both had the "OH SHIT!" reaction, so that was pretty cool too.

The ending itself wasn't a surprise to me or Throbble because we basically guessed what was going to happen. I don't want to post any spoilers but I thought the ending movies were really cool.

[snapback]38745[/snapback]

Well I'd like an explanation on the ending cause nothing seemed to happen as far as I could tell.

Plus Hell being all gray and plain was lame.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 11:01:11 PM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2007, 05:11:02 AM »
Yeah, dammit! I'm not gray and plain! That's bullshit!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2007, 03:05:41 PM »
Well I'd like an explanation on the ending cause nothing seemed to happen as far as I could tell.
[snapback]38746[/snapback]
Heh, well I explained the ending to Mo and his response was "That sucks!" heh. Well hopefully they will come up with a little more closer in the expansion.

Plus Hell being all gray and plain was lame.
[snapback]38746[/snapback]
Wait a minute. Are you honestly saying you don't want hell to be bleak?

Well, maybe if you give "The First" a book on Feng Shui and some flower wallpaper it will dress up hell a bit.

Anyway, I don't think it's all gray and plain. Looks a lot like the volcanic islands at the end of Guild Wars to me.
[attachmentid=1462]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:07:28 PM by 420 »

Chard!

Game Thoughts
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2007, 04:14:44 PM »
That's hell...?

Pffft...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Game Thoughts
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2007, 07:19:39 PM »
PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT

Hell is supposed to be about FIRE!

BURNING!

FIRE DAMMIT! FIRE!

WHERE IS ALL OF THE GIANT BURNING FLAMES OF SCORCH-LIKE DOOM!?

...and skulls. I want skulls dammit. -_-
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 07:30:49 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »