Author Topic: Human Life Extended  (Read 21260 times)

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« on: October 17, 2007, 10:19:27 PM »
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/2406...g_For_400_Years

Saw this article on another forum and thought it was neat.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 12:17:55 AM »
Talk about over population...

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Human Life Extended
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2007, 02:02:44 AM »
Yeah, there is something just a little icky about that.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2007, 02:07:31 AM »
Agreed. But I thought it was interesting.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Human Life Extended
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2007, 03:39:24 AM »
Definitely interesting, but 400 years seems me too optimistic. Wurms aren't much more than a stomach with some support here and there (forgive me wurms), making those life a few weeks longer is something else than having a human life for +315 years. Doing mutations on genes may have unwanted side effects too. And following a diet like the wurms, would mean I'd have to keep my hands of the sweet belgian chocolate here. It would already be great if we can give people 5 more years, having less diseases in their old age and make it less painful. Over 50 years the life expectancy might be 100 for the better off population on the planet, if we didn't do some apocalyptic stunt by then, like blowing up the composition of atmosphere.

By the way, this isn't exactly "news", this experiment that made wurms life longer is from 1993. Last I heard of it was in 1999 or 2000. The research now, seems to aim for understanding and protecting against cancer.

- Mel

Chard!

Human Life Extended
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2007, 05:24:56 AM »
It's a bit scary. Who knows.. Maybe it will happen a few years from now.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 08:57:29 AM »
Screw all of you.  I'm living till 600 with or without you all. :D

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2007, 11:43:24 AM »
and the Murder rate would increase exponentially

I can only imagine the mindset. You despise someone you know will live a couple hundred years longer, just kill them and make the world a better place.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2007, 01:21:33 PM »
I think we will discover that the human mind isn't capable of dealing with a lifespan beyond a hundred years. Not only will you become socially displaced in the extreme but the amount of personal loss from the deaths of friends and family would become unbearable.

Shit, it's already a sad state for 80-year-olds who remember the early 1900's and World War II who are now watching kids get body piercings, face tattoos and plastic surgery.

That's all we need is a bunch of 200-year-olds with jobs and mid-life crisis. Get my fucking gun because I will stop this insanity myself. The human quest for immortality is fundamentally flawed because we evolved with built in obsolescence.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »
I think we will discover that the human mind isn't capable of dealing with a lifespan beyond a hundred years. Not only will you become socially displaced in the extreme but the amount of personal loss from the deaths of friends and family would become unbearable.

Shit, it's already a sad state for 80-year-olds who remember the early 1900's and World War II who are now watching kids get body piercings, face tattoos and plastic surgery.

That's all we need is a bunch of 200-year-olds with jobs and mid-life crisis. Get my fucking gun because I will stop this insanity myself. The human quest for immortality is fundamentally flawed because we evolved with built in obsolescence.

[snapback]38043[/snapback]

Well if everyone were living until 400, everything you said wouldn't be a problem.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2007, 03:13:04 PM »
Well if everyone were living until 400, everything you said wouldn't be a problem.
[snapback]38044[/snapback]
That's like saying everyone will live to 70 because it's below the average life expectancy. What about cancer, accidents, flesh eating bacteria, violent crimes and war? Who's ready to sit through around 6 or 7 wars a century as their ever growing extended family get killed off by the dozens?

And are you really saying that if everyone lived to 400 there would be no problems with overpopulation, environmental impact, job availability and social security?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2007, 03:30:11 PM »
Talk about over population...
[snapback]38031[/snapback]

Oh well now you're listing real problems...Social security would be in the dumpster.  It basically is now for Americans.  The only thing saving Social Security from total meltdown in the States is the fact that you people are eating yourselves to a lower life expectancy rate :P
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 03:31:35 PM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2007, 07:20:08 PM »
Everyone's gotta have something. For some it's food, some it's cigarrette's, others drink.... everyone uses something to get by, whether they realize it or not.

Anywho, I'm coming back from the dead when I die, as a psychopathic lich. But I'll find a way to blend, even if I mostly hide away in my grand tower of doom. Key word is psychopathic, as I will lose all empathy towards others, and only use emotions when remembering things from my past life. I'll be content, and evil, hiding away concocting instruments of doom. And then I'll probably kill your 100 year old ass.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2007, 07:21:34 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2007, 08:30:13 PM »
Anywho, I'm coming back from the dead when I die, as a psychopathic lich.
[snapback]38056[/snapback]
No, that's what you came back as this time. You need to try something different next time.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Human Life Extended
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2007, 09:11:50 AM »
You need to try something different next time.
[snapback]38058[/snapback]
This (view attachment) is how it probably will turn out, the evil hellmasterhell from his tower killing you with his appearance.

- Mel

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2007, 07:21:37 PM »
No, that's what you came back as this time. You need to try something different next time.

[snapback]38058[/snapback]
Nah, I like it this way. Plus, I have empathy this time around, so it will be a little different. :blink:
« Last Edit: October 19, 2007, 07:21:48 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2007, 08:21:47 AM »
This (view attachment) is how it probably will turn out, the evil hellmasterhell from his tower killing you with his appearance.

- Mel
[snapback]38061[/snapback]

hehe good one....

Anyway dunno living 400 years might be neat it would be nice to see the world evolving, see the new technologies etc....

on the other hand it would be hard to keep track of everything to remember everything can a human brain retain information for like 200 years??
Overpopulation of the world would also be a problem...

Meh just like Mo said
Screw all of you. I'm living till 600 with or without you all.
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »
Sure it can, it's not about how long the human brain can retain information, it's about how much it uses what information. Any information it doesn't put to use for a long enough period of time, it will eventually 'discard.' So to speak. The brain reacts to what we use and what we don't, if we don't use something, in the earlier stages of our lifetime, it cuts off those functions in the brain... because it has so many functions available, it has to pick and choose which ones are important enough to keep, and it bases this off of what functions we use the most and the ones we seem to need the most, etc. In a way, it does the same thing with information, if it's there, and we're not using it for anything, then it's just taking up space, and the brain just sees it as more clutter that can be removed to free up space for new information. Just like with computers, you have a certain capacity on your hard drive, and when you want to add new data, but don't have the space for it, you must first delete something else. And the things we generally choose to delete, are things we do not use, or need. =)

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2007, 10:49:39 PM »
A show called Radio Lab that's on WNYC had a show about Mortality and talked with a scientist that prolonged the life of those worms.

Link
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 10:50:19 PM by Meclar »

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Human Life Extended
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 04:18:41 AM »
Extending the human life is easy. Even without the use of genetic manipulation or symbiotic relationships. Cell's reproduce, they grow. But like us they will get bored after 70 odd years. Cell's will slow there reproduction and older cell's will break down. If one was to encourage far more new cell growth earlyer in the human life time (say mid to late thirties) and keep these  cell's growing and reproducing the human body would never age. Given that every cell in the body would be new, allowing older cells to die off releasing what susstinence they have locked within for additional cell growth.

Another thing, I haven't been sick for half my life. Why? I don't weaken my immune system by doing its job for it with drugs. I cannot fall ill at this point, I've actually tryed.

I'll keep my method to myself in regards to encouraging cell reproduction, but it is quite simple.

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Human Life Extended
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 05:47:06 AM »
There are cases where death is partly caused by a lack of regeneration. But I think you have the wrong idea if you think there's a magic key to prevent aging in encouraging cell reproduction. How more divisions, how bigger the chance on bad mutations. Cancer for example, is nothing but bad or uncontrolled cell division caused by mutations. Also, if you for example take good care of your skin. Then less divisions will happen cause there is less damage. But taking good care of your skin would make it age faster? I highly doubt it.

- Mel

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 12:40:59 PM »
Damn, Tea-cup beat me to the encouragement of cell growth leading to cancer idea!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »
Damn, Tea-cup beat me to the encouragement of cell growth leading to cancer idea!

[snapback]38163[/snapback]

Nooo.  Kill my cells! Kill them allll

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Human Life Extended
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2007, 04:21:17 PM »
It would likely not help people with a history of canser for long. But they would likely live long enough to see a cure. And mutation's are extremely rare. And are also caused by things as opposed to just popping up out of no where.

But anyway, you didnt explain why you disagree realy. Whats your input on the subject? perhaps some enlightenment on your own theorys on it?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 04:22:07 PM by Xen »

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2007, 06:18:31 PM »
I take an asprin when I have a headache otherwise I don't take drugs* but I got sick with mono last year.  I haven't had a physical or any kind of vaccine since my first semester of college.  I get regular colds about once a year and let them stew inside me and don't get over them any faster than anyone that does take drugs.  None of this is scientific basis but are you saying not taking drugs is prolonging your life, is that correct?
This is a waste of time any way because there's no stopping a car or falling jet engines from planes that kill.
Who wears their seatbelt?
Who breathes the air?
I hate discussions about prolonging life.

*edit I take illegal drugs and smoke butts and "Binge" drink alcohol
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 06:23:35 PM by Meclar »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2007, 07:02:23 PM »
It would likely not help people with a history of canser for long. But they would likely live long enough to see a cure. And mutation's are extremely rare. And are also caused by things as opposed to just popping up out of no where.

But anyway, you didnt explain why you disagree realy. Whats your input on the subject? perhaps some enlightenment on your own theorys on it?
[snapback]38173[/snapback]
Cancer is something for people who don't take good care of themselves, the healthiest people rarely get it. "mutations are extremely rare." Rarer yet if you're in good shape and taking good care of yourself.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2007, 07:42:14 PM »
Cancer is something for people who don't take good care of themselves, the healthiest people rarely get it. "mutations are extremely rare." Rarer yet if you're in good shape and taking good care of yourself.
[snapback]38186[/snapback]
Bull, cancer can be caused by environmental factors completely out of an individual's control. It doesn't matter how healthy they are or how well they take care of themselves.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2007, 08:47:29 PM »
I'd venture to say most cancer is caused by environmental factors.  We are exposed to shit loads more chemicals than ever, and irradiated with crap loads more radiation all this put together = cancer pandemic, which every doctor is predicting.  Something like 1 in 4 will develop one type of cancer or another.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2007, 08:49:37 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2007, 12:12:44 AM »
Something like 1 in 4 will develop one type of cancer or another.
[snapback]38188[/snapback]
I would say that's a conservative estimate. I predict, starting with the aging Baby Boomers, we'll see something more like 1 in 2 people getting some type of cancer.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Human Life Extended
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2007, 12:29:08 AM »
I would say that's a conservative estimate. I predict, starting with the aging Baby Boomers, we'll see something more like 1 in 2 people getting some type of cancer.

[snapback]38190[/snapback]

Let's just hope they are able to cure it shortly.  Lord knows researchers are getting plenty of funding.