Author Topic: The Realm of Arda  (Read 24390 times)

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« on: October 09, 2007, 07:43:43 PM »
If you're lazy, skip to below the quote box.

â??The War of the Ring is over. Middle-earth has passed into the Fourth Age. It will become the Golden Age of Men, but all greatness must first be earned.â?

King Elessar spoke these words to his Council just three months after the downfall of Sauron. His words would be proven all too true. Though the Lord of the Rings was destroyed, enemies of the West live on.

And the hero upon whose revered name the Ring War was won has passed over the sea.

Deep in Harad and to the far East dwell enemies of Gondor and Rohan. Though the Armies of Mordor were defeated, the Men of Harad and Rhûn were given pardons. Most returned to their towns and villages with no more thought for Gondor or the war they were forced to fight.

But the desires of the common man are not those of their leaders.

Battalions of Haradrim remain within the borders of desolate Mordor. They are led by the twelve greatest War Lords in Harad. Aided by the Uruk-hai and Orcs hiding in the mountains, they attack the border of Gondor sporadically.

War between the Men of Middle-earth is eminent.

King Elessar has no choice but to make a move against the enemies of Gondor. War is declared, and preparations begin for the long campaign into Far Harad to face the main bulk of the Emperorâ??s army. In Rohan, King Ã?omer honors his alliance with Gondor and musters the Rohirrim.

Where the standard of Gondor flies, so will the banner of Rohan.

Allies of Gondor and Rohan gather from across Middle-earth. Merry Brandybuck and Pippin Took leave the Shire and begin the long journey South. Treebeard shepherds the Huorns into the Wizardâ??s Vale where they stand as a vanguard of the Misty Mountains. Prince Imrahil and Faramir, Steward of Gondor, ready their men to march in Gondorâ??s army. Gimli, now Lord of Aglarond, and Legolas, now Lord of Eryn Silivren, prepare the Dwarves and Elves for battle.

Once again, the Free Peoples of Middle-earth stand united against a Darkness in the East.

The first of the Haradrim Wars will begin when the last of the harvest is brought in from the fields. Although they are mighty armies with mighty leaders, there is restlessness among the Men of the West. Whispers and rumors have begun to spread. Men tremble when the words are uttered.

A Lieutenant of Barad-dûr still lives.

Okay, now that you have read this or decided to be lazy and skip ahead, you're probably asking the question, "Elessar, what the hell is this?"

Well, the answer plain and simple is that it is a play-by-post RPG called The Realm of Arda, Arda being the elven term for Middle-Earth.

Now, while I'm sure some of you know what I mean by a play-by-post RPG, some of you probably don't, so for those of you who don't, a play-by-post RPG is essentially collaborative story telling. Each person controls a character account and takes turns posting in threads, termed role-plays, to tell what goes on in that role-play.

That being said, I happen to be one of the administrators at the Realm of Arda, and although the board is currently offline, it is being worked on almost constantly to ready it for opening and allowing character registration.

Still interested? Good, read further!

Now, I know we're used to typing *blinks* or lol when we chat here, but proper grammar, punctuation and spelling should be followed to the best of your ability if you choose to join. We will not kill you for typos or grammar mistakes though, don't worry! Also, this is a narrative - you are typing in the third person limited and in the past tense. "What the hell is the third person limited?" You may ask? It means there are no personal pronouns (I, me, mine, we, us, our, ours, you, your, yours, etc.) in the narration with exception of dialogue. We all know that dialogue without personal pronounces is rather irritating. 'Limited' means that the narration should only reflect what your character - and I must stress this, your character - knows or what may be happening around your character that may affect the situation. Past tense...I hope to god you all know what the past tense is. If not, seek help.

Okay, but what the hell was that mess up in the quote box? Well, that was the main plot. Or at least its current contents. This is the premise of the Main Plot of the entire role-play. Main plot, you say? Do tell! Well, there's an over-arching plot that affects the entire board. It drives the situation and is basically the whole point of the thing. Now, each individual character may have a personal plot which unravels at their own choosing, but the Main Plot is entirely controlled by the Staff and certain players who have been chosen by the staff to help progress the plot. Everyone else is pretty much reactionary, and may or may not be at all involved in the plot. A good deal of people will most definitely see main plot action, as the mess in the quote box clearly shows there is a war about to occur.

"So can I play Aragorn or Gimli or Legolas?" You may be asking. Well, the answer is yes and no. Some people will be trusted with a select list of canon characters, but they are highly important so inadequate players will have their canon character removed from them. Okay, what's canon? Well, canon is anything that is directly in accordance to any of Tolkien's Middle Earth novels and the movies. In the event that the movies and novels contradict each other, I'd personally say trust the novels, but our head admin says they are both correct, if that's possible. Back to being Aragorn or Gimli or Legolas or any other canon (aren't you glad you know that term now?) name - major canon names are restricted! Of major canon names, there is a select list that are available and will be claimed quickly, no doubt. Lesser canon names - not canon characters, but names - are allowed to be used at the administrators' discretion. So yeah, you won't see me playing 'Elessar Telùnya' any time soon, but you probably will recognize one of my various pseudonyms if you decide to join.

Have I lost you yet? Good, I didn't want to do that. Are you still interested? I hope so.

If you are still interested, I will post updates here as necessary and hope to see you on the boards when the Realm of Arda officially opens!

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 08:01:54 PM »
Talon, the lord of tigers, barged into the court, scattering those around him as he run towards the king.

"Human King!" he growled, the gutteral sound paining the stomach of those within earshot, "I have killed all the enemies of your kingdom".

Before the king could respond, talon pounced forward and with a powerful swipe of his claw, ripped out the throat of the king and threw it in the air.
"Now your kingdom is mine!" he growled, whilst catching the bloody mess in his jaws, and swallowing without a single bite.

Suddenly, through every door and window a host of the numerous tiger clans burst through the room. Even if those of the kingdom, of which all had been invited, had been armed they would not have managed to still the swarming plague of fur that was upon them.

Unable to defend themselves, all those of the kingdom's council were slain, and the tiger army ventured forth, and over the coming months eradicated every last human, dwarf, and elf, and all those not of tiger-kin from the kingdom and beyond.

THE END

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 08:03:11 PM »
That was fun.
Lets do another one.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 09:34:59 PM »
Lovely, Talon. :P

Another note for anyone who's interested (because I did say I'd post updates):
Realm of Arda
A Fourth-Age Lord of the Rings RPG

++ Forum-based Lord of the Rings RPG
++ Focused on literate posts, not gaming modules
++ Important canon characters available â?? Ã?owyn, Faramir, Merry, Pippin, Ã?omer, Arwen, Lothíriel, and more!
++ Original characters welcome!
++ The RPG is not open to the public yet. Get in at the very beginning and help shape the plot!

Looking For:

Qualified Staff members to:

++ Help with the finishing touches
++ Creative minds to shape the Main Plot
++ Become active plot characters
++ Maintain the forums
++ Be model role players for members

Needed:

+++ Istari // Global Moderators

+ Global ability to moderate and maintain forums
+ Pick a specialization â?? Advertising, Plotting, Canon, Strategy, Graphics, or Moderating
+ Heavily involved in the plot

+++ Maiar // Forum Moderators

+ Moderate the forums
+ Ensure that all rules are being followed
+ Welcome and guide new members
+ Option to become involved in the plot

To Apply:

Fill out this form completely.

Code: [Select]
[B]Desired Position:[/B]
[B]Past Experience (if any):[/B]
[B]Past/Current RPGs:[/B]
[B]Sample LOTR RP â?? canon please (150-200 words):[/B]

For clarification:
-I have no idea what the plus signs were. Ilúvatar just copied and pasted her ad which she posted at another site. Ilúvatar is the site owner/Head Valar.
-If you apply for Istari please include specialty and experience in that specialty. Experience will count much more than any past or current RPGs if you haven't participated in a forum based RPG before.
-The Sample LOTR RP does not have to be incredibly detailed, but it must fall within the word range. Trust me, she's busy enough without having to read epic sample RPs.
-e-mail me your application at sparkythunderman@aim.com and post here saying that you sent in an application so that I will actually check. :P I'll forward any applications to Ilúvatar with a personal note of recommendation, if warranted.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 10:09:10 PM »
If Theodin named Eowyn as his successor then why is Eomer King of Rohan?
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 10:10:28 PM »
Good point - everything's in a tentative stage right now. I'll point that out to Heather!

edit:
Varda:
Well, first off-- we didn't make Eomer the king, Tolkien did. Also, I *think* Theoden said something interpreting along the lines of 'If Eomer or I do not return from battle, you will rule'. I *think*. I haven't read the trilogy in five months or so, so I forgot a bit. You should also note that while he said that to Eowyn, Theoden also made Eomer second marshal of the Mark after his son, Theodred's, death. So if Theoden, first marshal of the Mark, perished, then the second marshal --Eomer-- would asume the position of King and first marshal.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 10:25:23 PM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 11:40:01 PM »
If Theodin named Eowyn as his successor then why is Eomer King of Rohan?
[snapback]37923[/snapback]
Lay the LotR smack-down on them Cuch!

Though I like Talon's current post, I suspect Istari will get involved with the tiger-peeps before things get too out-of-hand or uh, paw.

Offline Meclar

• AOL Instant Messenger - h+stands+for
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2007, 06:14:17 PM »
Very funny thread, I like where this is going.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 06:23:12 PM »
Talon, the lord of tigers, barged into the court, scattering those around him as he run towards the king.

"Human King!" he growled, the gutteral sound paining the stomach of those within earshot, "I have killed all the enemies of your kingdom".

Before the king could respond, talon pounced forward and with a powerful swipe of his claw, ripped out the throat of the king and threw it in the air.
"Now your kingdom is mine!" he growled, whilst catching the bloody mess in his jaws, and swallowing without a single bite.

Suddenly, through every door and window a host of the numerous tiger clans burst through the room. Even if those of the kingdom, of which all had been invited, had been armed they would not have managed to still the swarming plague of fur that was upon them.

Unable to defend themselves, all those of the kingdom's council were slain, and the tiger army ventured forth, and over the coming months eradicated every last human, dwarf, and elf, and all those not of tiger-kin from the kingdom and beyond.

THE END
[snapback]37920[/snapback]

Just read that now.  Funny stuff lol

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2007, 06:46:41 PM »
If anyone here has any real interest in this, I am pleased to announce that the opening of the Realm of Arda is fast approaching, although an exact date has yet to be determined. We only have a few more big projects to finish up as well as a few other loose ends before we are ready!

If you follow the link in my signature, although you can't yet see the boards, you can see the header and side bar have had some rennovations since the start.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2007, 06:48:15 PM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2007, 10:53:01 AM »
looks fun, but i don't have experience in RPG's over the forum, first I tought this was going to be a nwn module or smt, now that would be fun!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2007, 02:53:34 PM »
oh god no, there are plenty of those around - it's actually very fun to do over a forum, and a lot of people comment that it vastly improves their writing capabilities.

Chard!

The Realm of Arda
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 04:53:26 PM »
I found it quite brain-power consuming when I roleplayed on RoD. Although a forum RPG is very enjoyable I don't think I'll join this one, since I still don't like the fact that it's all turn-based and I hate making people wait. xD I'd also like to say that I am not always in the mood to roleplay. lol

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2007, 05:32:21 PM »
What exactly do you mean by "turn-based"? The only 'turns' I can think of would be individual posts - other than that you don't have to wait for someone else to go before posting again as long as you weren't the last person to post. And I wouldn't worry about making people wait - all sorts of things come up so they might not even notice the fact that you took several days to reply to something (believe me, I do it plenty). And if you're not in the mood to role-play, you can always put-off replying until you are. I know I do.

Remember this isn't done in real-time. Just because you replied to someone three days later doesn't mean three days have happened in game.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2007, 06:31:37 PM »
oh god no, there are plenty of those around - it's actually very fun to do over a forum, and a lot of people comment that it vastly improves their writing capabilities.
[snapback]38523[/snapback]
As if to say there aren't plenty of role playing forums? I bet there's more of them than nwn mods. :lol:

I found it quite brain-power consuming when I roleplayed on RoD. Although a forum RPG is very enjoyable I don't think I'll join this one, since I still don't like the fact that it's all turn-based and I hate making people wait. xD I'd also like to say that I am not always in the mood to roleplay. lol
Chardy only has a problem when he forgets about replying entirely for so long that he never does. :lol: Right Chardy-poo? :D

What exactly do you mean by "turn-based"? The only 'turns' I can think of would be individual posts - other than that you don't have to wait for someone else to go before posting again as long as you weren't the last person to post. And I wouldn't worry about making people wait - all sorts of things come up so they might not even notice the fact that you took several days to reply to something (believe me, I do it plenty). And if you're not in the mood to role-play, you can always put-off replying until you are. I know I do.

Remember this isn't done in real-time. Just because you replied to someone three days later doesn't mean three days have happened in game.
He's probably thinking of a specific RP thread on RoD that was turn based. Where people only went after everyone else had gone through turns, like playing cards.

Unless of course, everyone else RP's the whole situation and all of the events onward without you. Then you're just putting in posts every now and then with the start of an action or situation just to have it take off without you being able to take part in it like you may have wanted, but just didn't feel like replying yet..
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 06:33:12 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Chard!

The Realm of Arda
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2007, 11:23:50 AM »
Chardy only has a problem when he forgets about replying entirely for so long that he never does. laugh.gif Right Chardy-poo? biggrin.gif

It's school, I swear!  :lol:

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2007, 12:49:41 PM »
It's school, I swear!  :lol:
[snapback]38542[/snapback]
Suuuuuuuuuuuure it isssss... uhhhhuuuhhhh. :lol:  :rolleyes:  :lol:

B)

I'm a troll! Rawr! I'm a big evil troll going for a stroll while squashing puny human scum with a wooden pole and charging gnolls tolls to cross my creaky mountain bridge of old. :D :lol:

How do you like my roleplaying?
It's fantastic HMH, you're the best!
Why thank you. :)
 :lol:

B)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007, 12:51:18 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 10:16:09 PM »
I am pleased to announce that the Realm of Arda will officially open on December 1! All are welcome to register, but please make sure that you read the rules thoroughly before beginning. Stay tuned for further announcements. :)

The link to the site is my signature.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:16:27 PM by Elessar Telrunya »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 10:51:45 AM »
Double Post. So sue me.

The Realm of Arda is officially open! :) (Link in image) Make sure you read all of the rules and feel free to drop me a pm if you need any help. I seriously am not hard to find. :P

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 08:46:30 PM »
Nice look and feel, great skin/background, decent banner/name, slightly messy (best word I can think of to describe it, disorganized doesn't fit right) layout, but stylish and attractive nonetheless.

Looks really good. I can't say that I care for the actual theme, however. But that's just my personal taste. I don't care too much for RP, or LOTR for that matter. So I guess that opinion is mine for those reasons, but otherwise I say it looks really good and seems to stand a good chance at being successful. Especially with members like you advertising it the way you are.

I seriously am not hard to find.
Just look up loser, right? :lol:
Sheesh I'm kidding; don't overreact! :D

P.S. I'm going to a courthouse in a half an hour, I'm also going to speak with my lawyer. You're as good as sued. :lol:

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
The Realm of Arda
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 08:49:45 PM »
You can't even see anywhere near all of the forums either. :P And I do hope you didn't just register to try and look a little further.

P.S. I'm going to a courthouse in a half an hour, I'm also going to speak with my lawyer. You're as good as sued.
I'm still trying to make heads or tails of this one.  :blink:

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: The Realm of Arda
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 05:13:29 PM »
Whatever happened to this site Elessar?
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 08:50:25 PM »
I shot it. With my gun that shoots things and stuff like that.

It was probably either sucked into the black hole that is Oprah's ass, or it was moved to another ghetto website host.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 10:09:25 PM »
It did shut down for a while, but it's back up and running again on another host.  I'm too busy to be around at the moment though.  New url: click

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2008, 12:13:20 AM »
Still looks good. Though uhh, authority to member level is too high. 24 members total, 7 are authority (4 admin, 2 mod) that makes 7 authoritative figures to moderate and upkeep a site with a mere 17 members beside themselves. Bit excessive, though it doesn't really do any harm or anything... doesn't make sense, that's all.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2008, 04:06:00 AM »
It's over 9000!

Oprah: 9000 penis'

What!
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 03:57:11 PM »
That's not actually accurate.  There are only two authority and nine other members.  The owner has four characters of her own (that's the 4 admins) and she has one moderator with two characters.  There's a Who's Who list of characters handled by the same person, although that list has a few characters not listed.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 09:00:53 PM »
That's not actually accurate.  There are only two authority and nine other members.  The owner has four characters of her own (that's the 4 admins) and she has one moderator with two characters.  There's a Who's Who list of characters handled by the same person, although that list has a few characters not listed.
I see. Separate accounts for separate characters? I don't see the logic behind that either, however.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2009, 11:38:25 AM »
It's a preference thing.  Some people think it's neater with one account per player and others think it's neater with one account per character.  It doesn't make much of a difference, but I honestly prefer account per character.  Aside from that the authority level is ~17 members to 3 staffers in terms of people, so that's not bad.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 03:30:19 PM »
I registered btw. I am Yazkir... my character name is Hifur Stonearm! :D I'm a dorf. Haha. Are you still active on here or no?
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?