Author Topic: Can't send a PM  (Read 28776 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« on: September 07, 2007, 04:40:07 PM »
Just tried to send a PM to cuchulann and I got this error message:
There appears to be an error with the database.
You can try to refresh the page by clicking here.

Error Returned
mySQL query error: SELECT m.mgroup_others, m.id, m.name, m.msg_total, m.view_pop, m.email_pm, m.language, m.email, me.vdirs, g.g_max_messages, g.g_use_pm FROM ibf_members m, ibf_groups g
          LEFT JOIN ibf_member_extra me ON (m.id=me.id)
      WHERE LOWER(m.name) IN ('cuchulann')
      AND m.mgroup=g.g_id

mySQL error: Unknown column 'm.id' in 'on clause'
mySQL error code:
Date: Friday 07th 2007f September 2007 04:36:39 PM

We apologise for any inconvenience

« Last Edit: September 07, 2007, 04:40:55 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 04:55:23 PM »
Hmmm Indeed!

That does seem to be a problem.  Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to troubleshoot this and the JPG Firefox problem.

Thanks for finding that.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 05:03:31 PM »
I got a similar error a couple days ago doing a PM to 420, but i ignored it thinking it was just a minor error. Hven't rtried to PM anyone since then.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:53:50 PM »
We are now using MySQL version 5.  I believe this board is only compatible with version 4.  If so we are lucky the PMs are the only thing that don't work anymore.

I'll do some more research as time permits.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2007, 12:15:44 AM »
Isn't this a stolen version of IPB?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2007, 12:33:03 AM »
Isn't this a stolen version of IPB?
[snapback]37434[/snapback]

Well I don't think it's stolen...and if it is I'm not the one who stole it as it was given to me by Nathan.

I think it's just unregistered.  Anyway it's an old version that I do not think it 100% compatible with MySQL 5.0.  Part of the reason why I don't upgrade the board is that IPB is freaking expensive.  It's like $150 for this.  I can't quite move to something else as we'd probably have to lose all our data and that would suck.  So I figure we'll stay here till the bitter end!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2007, 01:14:04 AM »
Well I don't think it's stolen...and if it is I'm not the one who stole it as it was given to me by Nathan.

I think it's just unregistered.  Anyway it's an old version that I do not think it 100% compatible with MySQL 5.0.  Part of the reason why I don't upgrade the board is that IPB is freaking expensive.  It's like $150 for this.  I can't quite move to something else as we'd probably have to lose all our data and that would suck.  So I figure we'll stay here till the bitter end!
[snapback]37438[/snapback]
I'm pretty sure it's stolen, I believe Nathan obtained the software illegally, and he's done so on more than one occasion. I remember running an L2 server with him, he stole a newer version of the software for that too, only he tested a certain hackers ability to get into the CP on that version, as it had a well-known security flaw, and the hacker got in. He didn't do anything, but invision power services came along and warned Nathan about running a stolen version of the software... so I'm pretty sure the hacker tipped them off. :lol:

Oh, I know how expensive the software is, I intend to go with it once I pay for hosting and a domain for mine and my fiance's IF board. I know it's over $300 dollars as I'm going with the package that gives me the most recent software and keeps allowing me to upgrade to new versions when they come out. I figure if I'm going to pay once, I might as well go all the way and be able to keep my board 'with the times.'

Anyhow, if this version wasn't stolen, IPB would do all the work moving all of the data, posts, polls, information, to the new upgraded version of the software. But by no means am I suggesting you should upgrade, just laying the info on the table.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:15:58 AM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Can't send a PM
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2007, 03:32:27 AM »
The license isn't stolen; we're just "unregistered" (though that has little to do with Nathan's adherence to law). Basically, given the age of the software, and the fact that this version was distributed for free, we're in compliance.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2007, 08:21:02 AM »
I remember running an L2 server with him, he stole a newer version of the software for that too, only he tested a certain hackers ability to get into the CP on that version, as it had a well-known security flaw, and the hacker got in.
[snapback]37440[/snapback]

L2J was completely free.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2007, 05:08:26 PM »
L2J was completely free.
[snapback]37444[/snapback]
What's L2J have to do with stolen IPB software? I was talking about IPB, not the lineage server. He stole IPB software for the board we used for the server.

The license isn't stolen; we're just "unregistered" (though that has little to do with Nathan's adherence to law). Basically, given the age of the software, and the fact that this version was distributed for free, we're in compliance.
Oh. Though I'm not sure I'd believe that, just because Nathan was the one who told me it was stolen in the first place a long ass time ago. Doesn't matter either way. If it's not, that just means if you did want to upgrade, you actually could, probably without any problems from IPB. :D
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 05:09:01 PM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »
What's L2J have to do with stolen IPB software? I was talking about IPB, not the lineage server.
[snapback]37447[/snapback]

Oh I'm sorry.  What did you mean when you said you hosted an "L2" server?  Thought you ment Lineage 2.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2007, 08:17:30 PM »
I remember running an L2 server with him, he stole a newer version of the software for that too, only he tested a certain hackers ability to get into the CP on that version, as it had a well-known security flaw, and the hacker got in.
[snapback]37440[/snapback]

I was talking about IPB, not the lineage server.
[snapback]37447[/snapback]
Dude, make up your mind!

Or at least remember what you post. (Hint: Use the mouse wheel to scroll up.)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2007, 01:03:30 AM »

Fine, I'll explain it in *explicit detail* for you. (Asteriks to note how I am not actually going to explain it in as much detail as I make it sound.)

Once upon a time, Nathan and I were hosting an L2 server and running it together. Nathan decided that we should have a site for our server, so we got a site design prepared and started the site up. After having gotten the site up and running, we added a forum to the site (for the L2 server players). Nathan said we should use IPB and I agreed. He asked me if he should get a version like the one LM had, because he still had access to the same stolen version (or so he said), or if we should get a newer version. We went with the newer version, and a hacker we knew told us he knew a security flaw for that version, and broke into the admin CP to show us. Not long later, Invision power services contacted Nathan telling him to take it down, as it was obviously illegitimate. I assume the hacker tipped them off, because there was a message about it not being registered in the admin CP and if the hacker had broken into it, he would have seen that message. Do you both understand now?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:05:02 AM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2007, 01:23:04 AM »
Nope.  Why would the "hacker" tip off Invision?  How could he be unaware that the version was unregistered as he was hacking it in the first place.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2007, 01:32:52 AM »
What are you talking about? I'm saying the hacker would BE AWARE, not unaware, that the version was unregistered because a big fucking red sign in the admin CP said it was unregistered. Why would the hacker tip off invision? Simple, he supported a GM who was acting on his own accord on the server and had disagreements with Nathan, and the GM was part of a community most of the players came from. Nathan had a server before, and they were a part of that server as well, and so they had a past of distrusting Nathan (wise thing too), so the hacker didn't really like Nathan too much, but he wasn't a Black Hat. Being a hacker doesn't mean you're a criminal or in any way a nuisance.

Notice I said, the hacker "WOULD have seen that message." In other words, he would know it was unregistered, could inform invision, and if they knew it was stolen, would make him take down the board, which I'm sure the hacker had no problems with, since he didn't like Nathan much anyway.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 01:34:36 AM by HeLLMasteRHeLL »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2007, 01:50:42 AM »
Being a hacker doesn't mean you're a criminal or in any way a nuisance.
[snapback]37468[/snapback]
If there were no hackers there would be no need for them.

Also, this is what I'll say about Nathan: The truth is not in him.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2007, 01:53:40 AM »
You seem to be missing the whole point.  Why would there be a need to hack into the board if he was planning on registering it?  The fact that it is unregistered is assumed from the moment you need to crack it.  No need for a big red sign.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2007, 02:20:57 PM »
No, I don't think you understand, Mo. All I'm saying is the hacker hacked into the CP, just to show Nathan he could do it. Not because we cared about the security flaw, not to crack it, and we were never going to register it... I don't know where you got those ideas...

"If there were no hackers there would be no need for them."
There would also be alot less 'good things' in the world. Computer wise, anyhow.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2007, 02:30:52 PM »
Ah so Nathan social engineered him into cracking the software.  Brilliant.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2007, 08:04:10 PM »
The software was already stolen and installed on the site, the hacker just used a flaw in the software security to break into the admin CP... it had nothing to do with cracking it.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2007, 08:14:31 PM »
The software was already stolen and installed on the site, the hacker just used a flaw in the software security to break into the admin CP... it had nothing to do with cracking it.
[snapback]37482[/snapback]

Ah you should have elaborated on that before.  What was the flaw?  I'd like to know cause I have an older version of the same software.  Though my admin cp is pretty much disabled after the change I made to fix the image problem.  I'll have to sort that one out later but at least no one will complain.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2007, 02:42:53 AM »
I thought I did, pretty well. I said it in almost the same words...

Not every version will have the flaw just because that one did, I think that was 2.1 or some shit, it was a newer one at the time, newer than this version. Older versions didn't have that specific flaw, I recall the hacker saying just that version had that particular flaw, he proved it to Nathan by exploiting it. I didn't know what the flaw was, just that there was one, and the hacker was proving it to 'us.' Namely, Nathan. Known security flaws are easy to find out, just look up this version of the software to see if there are any, and if there are, you'll probably find solutions to patch them as well. Like version 1.3 has a couple, IF has them patched by default on creation of new boards. The reason the flaws don't usually carry into other versions beyond just one, is because they usually fix the flaws in the next versions. With new features and changes new ones appear in newer versions, and are typically fixed in the following version.

Another reason I plan to just pay the extra money to be able to keep upgrading my software.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Can't send a PM
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 09:31:31 AM »
PMs still dont work. Could Mo, Throbble, or Hell respond to my thread?

http://lucidmagic.net/forum/index.php?show...t=0&#entry37829

Alfred still wants Punts and Laurents phone numbers.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007, 09:31:51 AM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles