Author Topic: 420's NWN2 Ranting  (Read 9230 times)

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« on: August 15, 2007, 04:55:17 PM »
Hey kids, welcome to 420's NWN2 Rant Story Time Fun Hour! This is where I'll be posting copies of all the foaming tirades that I have posted on other forums. Because, when it really comes down to it, It's fun to watch 420 talk shit.

The focus on better graphics and sound has ruined the video game industry.

Anyone remember Rogue (1980)? It was an ASCII graphic random dungeon generator. Dungeon Hack (TSR) and Infinite Dungeons (Bioware) were both just poor recreations of that game with "better graphics".

Also this whole idea that NWN2 has better graphics confuses the hell out of me. How does having PC's heads not match the rest of their body better? How is every humanoid model being forced to wear gloves/boots better? How is the 3 tree limit better?

There is nothing better about a game that relies on a combination of 3rd party programs. There is nothing better about a sequel that imposes limits that didn't exist in the predecessor.

That said, in the end I'm a doomed optimist (or a skeptical pessimist) because I still have hope that NWN2 will one day be the tool it was intended to be.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 06:45:25 PM »
You tellem, 420!

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:48:34 PM »
You forgot to mention Unlimited Adventures from TSR.

Better graphics is nice, but not at the cost of too many extra limitations as you said.

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:38 AM »
I agree completely. But I do love my sexy graphics, who doesnt? But I still prefer alot of older games over what we have now for the reasons you went into.

Offline ViperDE2004

• MSN Messenger - noneofyourfreakinbuisiness@F-U
    • View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 06:04:17 PM »
the graphics arent even good.  ITs like bullshit, pilled on bullshit!

now i don't know about u, but thats alot of bullshit!
Viper, Leader of {Legions of Sages} -(LoS)-

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2007, 12:22:41 PM »
Wasnt talking about NWN2's graphics. I was merly stating I do love a good looking game. Physics and the like I look at alot while playing a game. Game play is great, but, i'm more likely to see how I feel about the visuals right away. If i'm drawn in by the visuals then thats one point for a game. Then come's the game play, the control system and the like. I want to be able to forget i'm using the keyboard and do it via instict. If I can acomplish all that the game is off to a great start in my oppinion.

Then I tend to look at other things like physics and the way the story is persented. If you dont have a solid story then it wont hold my attention for long. For the same reason I couldnt stand in an arcade for hours.
Interactivity is another plus. There are many other things that I look for, not many games have more then a handfull.

But I dont just play games based on there appearance, but, now if I have to deal with ancient graphics the game better be fun to play. It also better have a solid story. Dunno where i'm going with this..
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 12:25:01 PM by Xen »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2007, 02:12:23 PM »
After reviewing the pathetic winners of Obsidian's fan art content I posted this to the Bioware boards:
Here is an idea: Instead of holding contests for something as utterly pointless as "fan art". Why not hold a contest for best community made creature and placeable models?

From what I can tell, Obsidian needs all the help it can get making content for NWN2. Why not let the community pitch in and include the winner's content in a patch?

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2007, 08:32:14 AM »
Sounds good.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2007, 02:04:34 PM »
Sounds good.
[snapback]37054[/snapback]
Looks like Obsidian thought so too:
So, now it's time to talk about the next contest. The next competition, is a Custom Content contest. This contest will be much longer than the others, to allow people to work with the Expotron a bit before they have to submit anything. This Custom Content contest will span three months and will cover many different aspects of Custom Content. Contestants can submit up to one entry for each of the following categories:

* Creature/Monster (requires animations)
* Weapons
* Buildings (can have animations if you like, such as a swinging sign, but don't have to)
* Placeables (can have animations, but don't have to)
* Clothing/Armor
* Props & Miscellaneous (equipable items that don't fit into any specific category - such as books and bouquets of flowers)

As noted, the only category that requires animations is the creature/monster category. All other categories do not require animation.

This contest will be announced officially on Monday, on the Bioware boards - along with full rules and guidelines. All of the models should be able to be added to the game/toolset through the use of the override folder at the very least. Your entries may be accompanied by a hak version as well. All work must be your own, but you may have one person help you out as well. I will talk with the folks at NWVault and have a contest category created for these models. November 30th will be the cutoff date for this contest. Good luck!

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2007, 06:17:32 AM »
Ha Ha! Nice.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2007, 08:25:15 PM »
420 wins.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 08:18:22 PM »
The fucking arrogance of the Obsidian devs stuns me rigid (he is not responding to anything I posted by the way):
Posted 08/29/07 22:08 (GMT) by Alvin Nelson

I don't believe that you remember that when NWN came out, it was the first of its kind, and though it had its issues, it sold extremely well.
First what of its kind?

First RPG game constructor? That would be the Adventure Construction Set.

First D&D based game constructor? That would be Forgotten Realms Unlimited Advetures.

No, NWN wasn't the first of its kind. In fact, it was an extremely well executed version of a classic computer game designing tool.

Some of us do remember exactly what NWN was like when it first came out. Let's see, multiplayer was stable, it was shipped with a DM Client (that was fully functional) and no download was required to play on online servers that didn't use custom content. We also remember getting new content, like creatures, in some of the very earliest patches.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:19:22 PM by 420 »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2007, 08:24:48 PM »
First what of its kind?

First RPG game constructor? That would be the Adventure Construction Set.

First D&D based game constructor? That would be Forgotten Realms Unlimited Advetures.

No, NWN wasn't the first of its kind. In fact, it was an extremely well executed version of a classic computer game designing tool.

Some of us do remember exactly what NWN was like when it first came out. Let's see, multiplayer was stable, it was shipped with a DM Client (that was fully functional) and no download was required to play on online servers that didn't use custom content. We also remember getting new content, like creatures, in some of the very earliest patches.

[snapback]37107[/snapback]

You could have also reminded him of the original multiplayer Neverwinter Nights Gold Box by TSR.

http://www.bladekeep.com/nwn/
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:29:35 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2007, 08:30:32 PM »
You could have also reminded him of the original multiplayer Neverwinter Nights Gold Box by TSR.
[snapback]37108[/snapback]
Actually that's the engine used by Unlimited Adventures.

Can you build games with the original NWN?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2007, 08:41:17 PM »
Actually that's the engine used by Unlimited Adventures.

Can you build games with the original NWN?

[snapback]37109[/snapback]

Nope, it was the first MMORPG.  Hosted by AOL.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 08:52:34 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 03:04:30 PM »
I'm sure this Bioware thread will get locked up quick so I'll post it here to:
RE: MotB Hot Fix

*Points and laughs at Obsidian.*

*Stops to catch breath.*

*Points and laughs some more at Obsidian.*

How in the world did you release an expansion pack that doesn't work when you install it?

How come this fix isn't handled through the auto-updater?

Why do you continue to sabotage your own products?

*Goes back to pointing and laughing.*

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
420's NWN2 Ranting
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 05:20:14 PM »
Yes I'm sure they LOVE you.