Author Topic: Multiplayer NWN2  (Read 8192 times)

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:54 PM »
I still havent upgraded by PC to be able to play NWN2, althouhg I may do so shortly.
What exactly are the problems with NWN2 multiplayer that are preventing us from having a good PvP server again?
Im sure they must be pretty major if mo doesnt even have nwn2 installed any more!

- Talon

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 11:27:06 PM »
They have resolved some of the problems like no DM client but the DM client has limited functionality and tends to crash the client (and possibly the server).

Also, it's just generally unstable. PC's will randomly disconnect and every time I try to shut down the nwn2server.exe it crashes.

Other than that there is no easy way to distribute or update the .pwc file, which contains the walkmesh and must be downloaded locally to all players computers.

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 01:36:31 AM »
There are programs for distribution of the .pwc files. Its actually quite easy to use and fast.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 04:20:45 PM »
There are programs for distribution of the .pwc files. Its actually quite easy to use and fast.
[snapback]36811[/snapback]

If you trust the source of the program, and everyone used it, then i suppose that would be ok.
Ideally it should be integrated into the client. How on earth could they overlook that?

Do you NEED a walkmesh file, or can you build a mod that uses standard meshes?

Additinally, if you are relying on the data in the visitors pwc to be correct, doesnt this mean that they could just modify it and walk through walls, etc.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 04:29:52 PM by Talon »

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 04:35:06 PM »
I just done some reading, and read something about tilesets.
Are these subject to walkmeshes, or is it just exterior terrain?
If you build a tileset only mod, do you need a walkmesh?
Are there outdoot tilesets?

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2007, 11:58:07 AM »
Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I was out of town visiting my insane family.

There are only indoor tilesets but they require a pwc file also because the various tiles have lowered and raised areas. Also, as with my mod, you can have walkable placeables, like a stage.

It seems to me that you shouldn't need a .pwc file with the tilesets but then again it seems to me that the fucking game should serve all that information without the client having to download anything. Anyway, hope that helps.

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 08:48:52 AM »
Maybe the pwc files lower strain on the server. Has to be an up side.

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2007, 09:21:15 PM »
The upside is that designers have more control over the landscape and the areas are more "immersive" (that is, they look a lot more like the real world). While the outdoor PWCs can get pretty big, I doubt it's got much to do with server load.

-Throbblefoot
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2007, 01:24:20 PM »
The upside is that designers have more control over the landscape and the areas are more "immersive" (that is, they look a lot more like the real world). While the outdoor PWCs can get pretty big, I doubt it's got much to do with server load.

-Throbblefoot
[snapback]36848[/snapback]

Im surprised they didnt go the whole hog and frce people to download the mod's as well.....

How could they be stupid enough to overlook the fact that they would need to server up PWC on a per area basis, as the original did with just the areas.

I dare say you still have to wait for area transition while its downloading that?

Idiotic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:25:02 PM by Talon »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2007, 01:40:51 PM »
Im surprised they didnt go the whole hog and frce people to download the mod's as well.....
[snapback]36852[/snapback]
The sad thing is that when NWN2 was released there was no such thing as a pwc file and you everyone did need to have the mod file locally to log into a server.

I dare say you still have to wait for area transition while its downloading that?
[snapback]36852[/snapback]
I have to agree, it takes way to long to load my Tavern area in NWN2 simply because it uses about a dozen sound files (which are already local) to make the unique music. By contrast, the same area with the exact same sounds loads very fast on my NWN server.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2007, 01:41:52 PM by 420 »

Offline Xen

• Church Burner.
    • View Profile
Multiplayer NWN2
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2007, 09:51:19 PM »
It's a sad state of affairs. I personaly dont mind the official campaign, still havent finished it because I keep restarting with different character builds. But its good.

They cant overlook the obvious for ever, well I hope they dont anyway.