Other > Discussion

Extra Terrestrial Life

<< < (2/8) > >>

Mo:
Hmm well this topic started with potential but it got overridden by spam! You call this a "discussion"?  This *isn't* what LM had in mind HeLL. Better watch out.

Soul Sojourner:
I'm moving all topics that are made for good discussion here, whether or not they have some spam in them. It's not like anyone will gain post count from the posts they made when it WAS in RR, now that it is in here. Also, this topic in specific is still early on in it's number of replies, and you were the first to make a spammy post! Anyway, lol, old topics that are good discussion topics will be found here, but straying too far off topic will likely result in it being split, and the off-topic stuff going to RR. Or posts might 'disappear' depending on the situation, nobody likes nazi's though. lol.

I went through RR till about January of 2005 and then called it good. Everything else is likely too old for anyone to care, and most of it is spam.

Oh it is what it had in mind! It tells me so! No blue sticky glue wrath! Ha!

Anyway, now just to watch those.... long... video's you posted, Razor. My in-depthness on this topic was cut short for the sheer fact that I had already carried out a similiar discussion on my board awhile back. But on Xen's point I have to concur.

420:
I saw an interesting show on PBS recently where they think that the asteroid that hit Earth and created the moon actually brought life to our planet.

Apparently Earth didn't have any carbon on it during the early molten days and then it got hit by a ball of carbon the size of Mars which kicked outer crust of the Earth into orbit creating the moon. Not only did this asteroid (planetoid?) introduce all the carbon to our planet but it also contained amino acids.

Now, the funny thing about amino acids is that if you expose them to a high-impact situation, such as in a lab or by colliding celestial bodies, they bond together into complex structures called peptides, which are basic proteins.

When I explained to my mom, the fundamentalist Christian, that life on Earth likely originated from outside out Solar System her response was a smug, "Where does God fit into all this."

Makes me think some people are too un-evolved for religion.

Razor Blade:

--- Quote ---I saw an interesting show on PBS recently where they think that the asteroid that hit Earth and created the moon actually brought life to our planet.

Apparently Earth didn't have any carbon on it during the early molten days and then it got hit by a ball of carbon the size of Mars which kicked outer crust of the Earth into orbit creating the moon. Not only did this asteroid (planetoid?) introduce all the carbon to our planet but it also contained amino acids.

Now, the funny thing about amino acids is that if you expose them to a high-impact situation, such as in a lab or by colliding celestial bodies, they bond together into complex structures called peptides, which are basic proteins.

When I explained to my mom, the fundamentalist Christian, that life on Earth likely originated from outside out Solar System her response was a smug, "Where does God fit into all this."

Makes me think some people are too un-evolved for religion.

[snapback]35430[/snapback]
--- End quote ---

Yep i've been thinking of this theory too ever since I saw the movie "Mars the red planet"
or did it call "The Red Planet"? Anyway on the end of the movie the alien explains how life on Earth began definetly a movie worth watching.

Soul Sojourner:
Ah, yes, 420. I seen something exactly like that a couple years ago. If this were true, then the possibility of life existing elsewhere is less of a possibility and more of a probability. Well, it was to begin with, but even more if this were true. The reasoning being, if something outside of earth, brought what was essential for life on earth, to earth, then the likeliness of other places having these things already, especially with it coming from elsewhere to begin with, is practically undeniable.

Hmm, if I ever notice it or something on tv or hear about it, I'll "go out of my way," so to speak, to watch it. Sounds good. Though there is a good possibility I've seen it before, I've watched many things on subjects like these, and the name sounds extremely familiar.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version