Author Topic: Throbblefoot enters the 20th century  (Read 7795 times)

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
Throbblefoot enters the 20th century
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:40:11 PM »
So as 420 and I sat on the side of the freeway and waited for the nice AAA dude to tow the broken down car to the airport so we could rent a car to go home on Easter, it suddenly dawned on me: at this point, I'm only torturing myself by not getting a cell phone. I mean, sure, we were 500 feet from a call box, but that won't always be the case, and who knows how long we could sit there waiting for a Good Samaritan?

Okay, that's long winded intro , but I want to make it clear: I'm getting this bloody electronic leash against my better judgment.

So, on to the flame war....  

Tell me, gentlefolk: which wireless company is the least reprehensible and has the best voice quality and coverage/signal strength?

Thanks,

Throbblefoot
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:40:49 PM by Throbblefoot »
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 12:10:35 AM »

Really depends on your area, as really all major carriers differ vastly depending on what part of the country you're in.

Verizon might be good in one area while Cingular sucks.  But some place else it may be reversed.  Better ask someone who's in San Fran.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 12:11:06 AM by Mo »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 02:05:31 AM »
Better ask someone who's in San Fran.
[snapback]34940[/snapback]
Alright so what about customer service? I've heard horror stories about Cingular support and sales reps - is that just hype?

-Throbblefoot
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 02:06:36 AM »
Ill put a positive vote in for Verizon, they havent done me wrong yet.

I also have to say im very impressed with my LG VX8300

My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
Verizon's okay, but it doesn't really help that no one gets any good service around my school...wait, that's with other carriers too!  :P

-Elessar

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 01:15:39 PM »
They all blow shit.

I hate cell phones.

But, yeah... exactly what you said, Throbble. *sigh* I'll have to get one too eventually. (fucking shit)

My girlfriend uses verizon, in her area, they've been a pain in the fucking ass to deal with, but they put up a new tower and although it's better, they are still a fucking pain.

It's exactly as Mo says it is, it depends on your area, truthfully. Customer service I wouldn't know a goddamn thing about, but perhaps it too depends on the area, where you get the phone, that shit.

Anyway, this post is just here mostly to agree with you on the not wanting a cell phone thing, but realization of the necessity, and also to back up Mo's statement about it depending on where you live. Good luck.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 02:35:09 PM »
customer service = call number and wind up talking to some guy you can barely understand who's actually in India or someplace.

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 03:03:55 PM »
I've got cingular and I have not had a single real problem. Even out off County road G miles outside of eagle River Wisconsin, i had a good signal. Once in a few months I have to turn it off to reboot the phone, but it is the smallest no frills freebee that they had. This could be why i've had veryfew problems as there is not much that can go wrong with it.
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2007, 03:24:59 AM »
Thanks for all your input! I've been looking around art local reviews of cell service, and I think I'm going to go with Cingular.....

-Throbblefoot
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
Im not sure if you have the same system in the USA, but over here we can have pre-pay mobiles.

You wouldnt be fixed to a contract, wouldnt have to pay a monthly subscription fee, only pay for the calls you make, and recieve calls for free.

You could pick up a cheap (store, ebay, etc) / free (friends, family, dustbin, etc) mobile anywhere, and spend around �£5 for a sim-card that generally comes with �£5 of calling credit.

If you dont envisage using it for hours a day for outbound calls and dont need the shiniest new mobile (you have managed to survive thus far) then I think its definitely the way to go.

As for which service provider, just check the coverage of the areas you frequent.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2007, 12:42:27 PM by Talon »

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2007, 01:15:17 PM »
If you dont envisage using it for hours a day for outbound calls and dont need the shiniest new mobile (you have managed to survive thus far) then I think its definitely the way to go. [snapback]34992[/snapback]
Great minds think alike!

I definitely want a prepay/pay-as-you-go plan, which is one reason I'm leaning towards Cingular. The other providers I looked at have over-complicated prepay schemes or none at all. Verizon had a pretty decent plan, but then they want me to drop $100 on a phone... not gonna happen.

-Throbblefoot
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Sonicle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2007, 02:38:14 PM »
youll only have to pay 100â?¬ for a prepaid handy if youre going for a modern one ... if you choose a handy from ... like ... 2000-2004 its only like 50-10 â?¬