Other > Discussion

Sleep Dep Discussion

(1/7) > >>

Razor Blade:

--- Quote ---Remember the Godspire Marathon? That shit was fucking funny. It was supposed to be 42 hrs long or some shit... but I stayed up 60+ and then when I finally went to sleep, I think I recall waking up not long later and going to school. (which was the only reason I went to sleep)

Then that day, I was being my usual sleep dep self, and acting fucked up. The dean of students called me to his office and said something like, "Okay, so what are you on? I know you're taking something. You have blood shot eyes, they are glazed over, you're walking like you're drunk, and you look like you're on something in general." I remember how funny that was to me, most people never believed me when I told them I was NOT on ANY drugs, that's just the type of person I was, and I was sleep dep alot. So, I took a breathalizer test, or whatever the fuck it is, and a piss test, for the fucking bastards, came out clean, and the end result was him actually telling me that for me to act like that, the only way I cannot be on drugs, is if I'm insane. Then he recommended me to a mental hospital in a larger city not far from here, and sent me home for the day.

I'll tell ya, those were some fun times.
[snapback]34309[/snapback]
--- End quote ---

you stayed up 60hours?? there's no way you can be 60hours with no sleep :blink:

420:

--- Quote ---you stayed up 60hours?? there's no way you can be 60hours with no sleep :blink:
[snapback]34329[/snapback]
--- End quote ---
Actually, once you pass a certain point of sleep deprivation you can stay up indefinitely but you suffer from hallucinations. In fact, Vincent Van Gough practiced sleep deprivation (which probably accounts of his bizarre art).

The theories I've heard suggest that REM sleep (ie dreaming) is the process of organizing your short term memory into long term memory. When you deprive your mind of sleep long enough it starts to process the information while you're awake and you basically experience waking dreams.

I've never tried it myself since LSD is cheaper and faster than staying awake for a week.

Soul Sojourner:

--- Quote ---you stayed up 60hours?? there's no way you can be 60hours with no sleep :blink:
[snapback]34329[/snapback]
--- End quote ---
Taken from Darkness.com "New Member Parlor" section:

--- Quote ---CONTEST RESULTS:
No longer just insomnia but full on sleep deprivation. Shefampyre's previous 36 hour title was obliterated by an inhuman 65 hours awarded to HeLLMasteRHeLL.
--- End quote ---

And the time I did that one, I was actually up 75 hours, not 65. Because I couldn't start the contest until after school on a Friday, and school took 10 hours out of my day since the time I woke up till I was able to start the contest. (Needed to post every 30 minutes).That was over a year ago now I believe. However, I've done far better than a mere three days before, staying up was never hard for me. Though, I probably can't do it as well these days as I used to, (as in a few years ago) it's still easy.

Mo:

--- Quote ---Actually, once you pass a certain point of sleep deprivation you can stay up indefinitely but you suffer from hallucinations. In fact, Vincent Van Gough practiced sleep deprivation (which probably accounts of his bizarre art).

The theories I've heard suggest that REM sleep (ie dreaming) is the process of organizing your short term memory into long term memory. When you deprive your mind of sleep long enough it starts to process the information while you're awake and you basically experience waking dreams.

I've never tried it myself since LSD is cheaper and faster than staying awake for a week.

[snapback]34330[/snapback]
--- End quote ---

I'm pretty sure there's maximum your body can go without sleep.  Afterwards you'll be dead.

Soul Sojourner:
It truthfully depends on the person. I've never thoroughly researched the subject, but I have made myself a lab rat to it, and on countless occassions would strive to beat my own record at staying up. I was always fucked up, the sleep dep just added to it.

But I do know people, and have heard other cases, where people have been hospitalized, and yes, died, from lack of sleep. Though, in the cases where they died, it was probably from a lack of nutrients and sufficient energy sources as well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version