Author Topic: Sleep Dep Discussion  (Read 13872 times)

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« on: March 22, 2007, 01:34:51 PM »
Remember the Godspire Marathon? That shit was fucking funny. It was supposed to be 42 hrs long or some shit... but I stayed up 60+ and then when I finally went to sleep, I think I recall waking up not long later and going to school. (which was the only reason I went to sleep)

Then that day, I was being my usual sleep dep self, and acting fucked up. The dean of students called me to his office and said something like, "Okay, so what are you on? I know you're taking something. You have blood shot eyes, they are glazed over, you're walking like you're drunk, and you look like you're on something in general." I remember how funny that was to me, most people never believed me when I told them I was NOT on ANY drugs, that's just the type of person I was, and I was sleep dep alot. So, I took a breathalizer test, or whatever the fuck it is, and a piss test, for the fucking bastards, came out clean, and the end result was him actually telling me that for me to act like that, the only way I cannot be on drugs, is if I'm insane. Then he recommended me to a mental hospital in a larger city not far from here, and sent me home for the day.

I'll tell ya, those were some fun times.
[snapback]34309[/snapback]

you stayed up 60hours?? there's no way you can be 60hours with no sleep :blink:
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 02:20:59 PM »
[snapback]34329[/snapback]
Actually, once you pass a certain point of sleep deprivation you can stay up indefinitely but you suffer from hallucinations. In fact, Vincent Van Gough practiced sleep deprivation (which probably accounts of his bizarre art).

The theories I've heard suggest that REM sleep (ie dreaming) is the process of organizing your short term memory into long term memory. When you deprive your mind of sleep long enough it starts to process the information while you're awake and you basically experience waking dreams.

I've never tried it myself since LSD is cheaper and faster than staying awake for a week.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:38 PM »
[snapback]34329[/snapback]
Taken from Darkness.com "New Member Parlor" section:

CONTEST RESULTS:
No longer just insomnia but full on sleep deprivation. Shefampyre's previous 36 hour title was obliterated by an inhuman 65 hours awarded to HeLLMasteRHeLL.

And the time I did that one, I was actually up 75 hours, not 65. Because I couldn't start the contest until after school on a Friday, and school took 10 hours out of my day since the time I woke up till I was able to start the contest. (Needed to post every 30 minutes).That was over a year ago now I believe. However, I've done far better than a mere three days before, staying up was never hard for me. Though, I probably can't do it as well these days as I used to, (as in a few years ago) it's still easy.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 02:23:40 PM »
Actually, once you pass a certain point of sleep deprivation you can stay up indefinitely but you suffer from hallucinations. In fact, Vincent Van Gough practiced sleep deprivation (which probably accounts of his bizarre art).

The theories I've heard suggest that REM sleep (ie dreaming) is the process of organizing your short term memory into long term memory. When you deprive your mind of sleep long enough it starts to process the information while you're awake and you basically experience waking dreams.

I've never tried it myself since LSD is cheaper and faster than staying awake for a week.

[snapback]34330[/snapback]

I'm pretty sure there's maximum your body can go without sleep.  Afterwards you'll be dead.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 02:26:54 PM »
It truthfully depends on the person. I've never thoroughly researched the subject, but I have made myself a lab rat to it, and on countless occassions would strive to beat my own record at staying up. I was always fucked up, the sleep dep just added to it.

But I do know people, and have heard other cases, where people have been hospitalized, and yes, died, from lack of sleep. Though, in the cases where they died, it was probably from a lack of nutrients and sufficient energy sources as well.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 02:31:37 PM »
It truthfully depends on the person. I've never thoroughly researched the subject, but I have made myself a lab rat to it, and on countless occassions would strive to beat my own record at staying up. I was always fucked up, the sleep dep just added to it.

But I do know people, and have heard other cases, where people have been hospitalized, and yes, died, from lack of sleep. Though, in the cases where they died, it was probably from a lack of nutrients and sufficient energy sources as well.
[snapback]34333[/snapback]

We should ask Taarna.  She's an expert in the subject.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:13:27 PM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 02:38:03 PM »
We should ask Taarna.  She's an expert in the subject.
[snapback]34334[/snapback]
So I've heard, five hundred thousand times. And I think I discussed it with her in GS once in the past, only it's a bit foggy, seeing as I think I was sleep dep. Rofl.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 03:13:52 PM by Mo »

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 02:38:24 PM »
60 hours is nothing - Ive done a LOT more than that - nearly every bank holiday in fact.

I believe the world record for staying awake is well over 250 hours, and aside from issues with focus of sight, hallucinations, paranoia, and of course, general tiredness, there are no real ill affects - even at extended durations - and they tend to disappear after a long session of sleep anyway.

<sarcasm>
Woop de do, I can stay up for 65 hours, I must be some kind of superhuman MONSTER! Arent I just too cool? I must be totally NUTS! Send me to that thar mental home partner, yeeeeehaaaaaaww....
</sarcasm>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 02:38:44 PM by Talon »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 02:44:46 PM »
250, hmm... I didn't know I was that close. Maybe I'll try again some time.

Ah, Talon, either you misunderstand yet again, or are just full of yourself. But nobody was bragging, just proving a point. If I wanted to brag, I would have said my record, not the darkness record. Though of course, there's no way I can prove it, it's not like I really care to.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 03:02:05 PM »
We should ask Tarna.  She's an expert in the subject.
[snapback]34334[/snapback]

I think you mean Taarna *glares*

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 03:02:35 PM »
250, hmm... I didn't know I was that close. Maybe I'll try again some time.

Ah, Talon, either you misunderstand yet again, or are just full of yourself. But nobody was bragging, just proving a point. If I wanted to brag, I would have said my record, not the darkness record. Though of course, there's no way I can prove it, it's not like I really care to.
[snapback]34338[/snapback]

Woop-de-fuckin-doo

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 03:13:10 PM »
I think you mean Taarna *glares*
[snapback]34345[/snapback]

Woops ya I was staring at it thinking to myself...well that doesn't look right. Hmm it's her own fault for skipping out on Lucidmagic-Town.  

Come back!

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2007, 03:34:11 PM »
Woop-de-fuckin-doo
[snapback]34346[/snapback]
Doo-de-fuckin-woop?

Sleep dep is a long time friend of mine. :lol:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 03:42:54 PM »
Doo-de-fuckin-woop?

Sleep dep is a long time friend of mine. :lol:
[snapback]34361[/snapback]

I honestly wish I didn't need to sleep so much.  I think I've become addicted to it. I must break this addiction.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2007, 03:43:37 PM »
Woops ya I was staring at it thinking to myself...well that doesn't look right. Hmm it's her own fault for skipping out on Lucidmagic-Town. 

Come back!
[snapback]34350[/snapback]
Anyone have an email for her? We could use a professional opinion on this.

As for me, I personally hate sleeping apart from the massive vacation resort and nearby city and airport that I run in my dreams. It's just a waste of 1/3 of my life to have to fall unconscious for 8 hours out of every 24. In this regard I agree with Q (from ST:NG) about sleeping.

When I was younger I would frequently stay up a good 48 hours if I had a head cold or if there was some kind of Marathon on TV (Superman, Outer Limits, Red Dwarf, etc). However it made me even more short tempered than usual so I never bothered to see how long I could go without sleep on purpose.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2007, 03:49:14 PM »
Anyone have an email for her? We could use a professional opinion on this.
[snapback]34364[/snapback]

This is her last known address

<huh>
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 08:27:34 PM by Mo »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2007, 04:27:10 PM »
That's a long ass e-mail!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2007, 04:28:36 PM »
This is her last known address

[snapback]34365[/snapback]
Alright I sent her an email begging her to come back to us. *Stares at the clock.* Any minute now...

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2007, 05:39:47 PM »
I don't know how you guys do it but during the summer and christmas my parents were away on vacation i stayed home alone now I stayed up all night but in the morning around 7-8 i fell asleep like I haven't slept for ages...every day it was like that so I really don't know how you guys do it really don't...
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2007, 05:53:18 PM »
every day it was like that so I really don't know how you guys do it really don't...
[snapback]34374[/snapback]
Caffeine, no-doze and sugar are the foundations of the sleep deprivation pyramid!

Offline Razor Blade

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »
Caffeine, no-doze and sugar are the foundations of the sleep deprivation pyramid!

[snapback]34377[/snapback]

what's no doze?

Caffeine has totally no effect on me gimme 10 bottles of cola, or 10 cups of black coffee or wtv i'll sleep in the end

Sugar helps not to sleep that's new...

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 08:38:07 PM »
A pill, caffeine pill I believe.

Who the fuck needs caffeine and sugar to stay awake? I always used good old trusty willpower. The 24 cases of pop I went through were simply... erm...

Though seriously, I don't even drink pop anymore, haven't had a can in over a year, and it's still easy as fuck. It depends on the person, whether or not they have something to do, and their sleep schedule. If you're coming off of a sleep schedule, it's harder, but still easy enough. Other things attribute to, of course.

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 09:01:25 PM »
Who the fuck needs caffeine and sugar to stay awake? I always used good old trusty willpower.
You pussies, fear my awesome strength!

Though seriously, I don't even drink pop anymore, haven't had a can in over a year, and it's still easy as fuck.
[snapback]34385[/snapback]
Because I am the man! Grrrrroooowwwwwllll!
FJEAR MEH!

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2007, 09:10:08 PM »
what's no doze?
[snapback]34381[/snapback]
[attachmentid=1155]
(oop, I spelled it wrong!)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 09:10:38 PM by 420 »

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2007, 10:33:29 PM »
FJEAR MEH!
[snapback]34387[/snapback]
From the one who has a problem with today's "misconception" of l33t.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 12:25:44 AM »
Actualy, my ideal sleep time would be 9pm to 3pm. I can only be awake for so many hours a day without being excessivly bored and irritated
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 12:26:07 AM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Mercy

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 12:52:40 AM »
You can stay up for something like 8-12 months before it becomes detrimental to your health. Your body just deteriates. Ive been up for about two weeks at one point in time in my life lol. That was during a lot of binging though lol. And no not crack...fuckers.
Elessar: why is the shit coming from his head?
Anheg: cause its japanese?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 02:53:08 AM »
Actualy, my ideal sleep time would be 9pm to 3pm. I can only be awake for so many hours a day without being excessivly bored and irritated
[snapback]34394[/snapback]

errr that would be 18 hours sleep?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 07:05:08 AM »
You can stay up for something like 8-12 months before it becomes detrimental to your health. Your body just deteriates. Ive been up for about two weeks at one point in time in my life lol. That was during a lot of binging though lol. And no not crack...fuckers.
[snapback]34398[/snapback]
Crackhead. :lol:

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Sleep Dep Discussion
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 04:39:45 PM »
actually ive been up for 86 hours more or less and after that i slept for 26 consecutive hours >_<
and like 60+ hours once playing WoW with a friend over all weekend without sleep lol