Author Topic: HoH build converted to GvG  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Johnny

• View Profile
HoH build converted to GvG
« on: October 09, 2006, 01:09:53 PM »
First off I want to say good job everyone, we've been winning in halls again after a long absence.   We have a solid HoH build, and after talking with a few officers about our success, I decided to try bringing that success over into GvG.  

One of the things I have noticed lately is that now that HA is 6 man team, and also due to map changes, there is ALOT less spike in halls.   Another thing I noticed, which is probably a direct result, is that there is more spike in GvG.    Also highly present is single or dual smite builds, which are always hard to counter do to the massive pressure they apply.    What I'm about to present is a rough draft, but looks like it has big potential:

2 W/A or W/E - constant damage/pressure
These would be what we are running in HoH, only thing i would say is required is at least 1 Shields Up! to deal with rangers.  The reason i said maybe 1 or both wars as W/A is for Siphon Speed.  I don't think we've run it in GvG before, but Alfred was rocking it in halls, to good effect.  It fits nicely with my shutdown hexes too.

1 Me/? - monk shutdown
This is me and my patented super deluxe shut 2 monks down til they cry build,  version 4.2

1 Rt/Me - more pressure/blind/enchant removal
The build i ran the past week in halls.  Shadowsong does nice dmg+blind, Pain+Bloodsong for dmg, Disenchantment is probably the best counter we've ever had against smite teams.   Sig of Humilty to stop tainted necs, or randomly disable someone elses elite.  Works wonders on an eviscerate war also by the way.  Consume soul negates enemy spirits, and provides bonus healing off ours.

1 Mo/me - smite monk aka more pressure
basic air of smite monk, can bring Smite Hex or Draw Conditions, or both!

1 prot monk
to be discussed

1 SB/infuse monk
ok here it is, I think we need an sb/infuse since all the spikers have stopped doing halls and are now running that stuff in gvg now.   Our regular 2 monk build cannot counter a good spike, but with sb/infuse i think we can.   Even if they dont have eles or necros spiking, SB can help a monk from being hexed.  I do recall running it when i first joined ZB, and I think the reasons were the same.

1 R/? runner
Ok to fit with my shutdown I want to have the runner bring Equinox.  It doubles exhaustion, making Arcane Languor completely filthy.  It also penalizes Ether Prodigy/Mind Shock/Burn/Freeze eles.   I'm also thinking have the ranger bring traps, and trap around our monks when he comes up.  If it seems we are missing the extinguish/heal party from our runner, we can always go back to the conventional E/mo runner.

Now this IS a rough draft, you will notice I didnt put everyones skillbar.  One reason is that it's a work in progress.  Another reason is because I hate telling people what to put on their skillbars, and then losing because they aren't comfortable with it.   I also don't like relying on 1 specific skill, such as Natures Renewal on our old build.   Equinox is bonus exhaustion, the build won't fall apart without it.  

I'm not sure if we need an infuser with a smite monk throwing in added healing, but then again I think we need something solid to catch spikes.  This week I've faced rspike, bspike, and obs flame spike as a guest in gvg.   The 2 monk team i was in was pitifully unable to cope with a well done spike.  I'd rather stay alive while killing spikers, then just be outspiked and lose.   This build has defense against all 3 of those spike builds, and still has solid dmg output.  I think we should try it.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 02:51:49 PM »
Run a SB/Infuse and active prot for our healers? That seems like it wouldnt work.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 07:09:55 PM »
Yea I wasn't sure how the monks felt about this.  I do feel sb/infuse would be good to bring in gvg though.   We ran infuse along time ago in gvg if i remember, does anyone know what the monk setup was?   My line of thinking for this was that the smiter is contributing heals.  Do you mean make the prot into a BL or WoH monk, or that SB just cant be run?

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2006, 08:07:05 PM »
The SB/Infuse would be set up as

Orison of Healing
Dwaynas Kiss
Ethreal Light
Healing Touch
Infuse
Spell Breaker
I-hex
Drain Ench

Normaly I would set up a gvg infuse build with all that but sub SB for WoH and Kiss for Ether Sig/Channeling

But the idea of running an active prot as one of two monks is terrible unless you make it with RC and extrely high DF. Something like

Restore Condition
RoF
Guardian
Spirit Bond
Gift of Health
I-hex
Drain Ench
Ether sig/Channeling

Since RC would be one of two main heals I put no condition removal on the first monk. Though that means a support something would be needed. I was thinking a Mesmer using the following would be needed on the split with no cond removal.

Blackout
E-Burn
Diversion
Drain Ench
Aegis
Draw Cond
Expel Hexes
Sig

Of course, all this was off the top of my head so if something blatently obvious is wrong, dont blame me too much.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Alfred P Sloaner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 03:28:18 AM »
This is what I was thinking for Johnny's GvG Build......

W/A
-Frenzy
-Evicerate [E]
-Axe Rake
-Executioners
-Protectors
-Dash
-Siphon Speed
-Res Sig

Axe- 12+4
Strength- 10+1
Deadly- 8

W/A
-Frenzy
-Sever
-Gash
-Final Thrust
-Bulls Charge [E]
-Heal Sig
-Shields Up
-Res Sig

Sword- 12+4
Strength- 10+1
Tactics- 8+1

Mo/Me (Smiter)
-Zealots
-Air of Enchant [E]
-Guardian
-RoF
-Balthazar
-Draw Conditions
-Smite Hex
-Res Sig

Divine- 8+1
Smiting- 12+2
Protection- 10+1

Rt/Me
-Consume Soul [E]
-Shadowsong
-Bloodsong
-Pain
-Disenchantment
-Sig of Humility
-Mantra of Resolve
-Res Sig

Spawning- 11+1
Communing- 10+2
Inspiration- 10

R/A (runner)
- This Build is completely Random and I wasn't really sure if we need the ranger to do anything else besides run flags and lay down Equinox.

-Distracting Shot
-Deb Shot
-Troll Unguent
-Dust Trap
-Equinox [E]
-Whirling Defense
-Dash
-Dark Escape or Siphon Speed

Expertise- 10+2
Wilderness- 10+3
Marksmanship- 8+1
Shadow or Deadly- 8 (Depending on Dark Escape or Siphon Speed)

Me/N??
-This is Johnny's build, but i was thinking maybe go necro for a blood rit?  I dont know if You can fit it in your build, but it would be a nice addition.

I think the monks should choose what monk builds should be used.

If anyone has any suggestions at all on what skills I posted then feel free to comment
« Last Edit: October 10, 2006, 03:29:11 AM by Alfred P Sloaner »

Offline Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2006, 07:08:47 PM »
i had an idea last night, maybe the rit could bring the elite which gives +24 armor and he cant be interrupted.   With equinox in the picture someone using gale to interrupt him would be penalized.   Also he and the smiter could bring guided weapon, which as me and Punt have discussed can help warriors a ton when spiking.    Another option is to sub in Wanderlust as his elite.

Offline big

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
i had an idea last night, maybe the rit could bring the elite which gives +24 armor and he cant be interrupted.   With equinox in the picture someone using gale to interrupt him would be penalized.   Also he and the smiter could bring guided weapon, which as me and Punt have discussed can help warriors a ton when spiking.    Another option is to sub in Wanderlust as his elite.
[snapback]31838[/snapback]

sounds good but do think the monks are gonna be able to keep the up with thier energy?  maby if thr rit could bring union to help agaist the spikes all so

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2006, 02:45:32 AM »
Problem is that this revolves around the mesmer. Shutdown the mesmer or DP him and this build is nothign special, or even less than special.
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Johnny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 02:00:28 PM »
ok we kicked ass with this yesterday, im gonna try reposting a more refined version of the build with what we used yesterday

2 W/A Punt+Leo
same as alfred post except 1 or 2 changes to siphon speed/ shields up, I will get the exact build from Punt today.

1 Me/?  Johnny
Leech Sig
Shame
Mind Wrack
Drain Enchant
Distortion
Arcane Languor (E)
Diversion
Lyssa's Balance

1 Rt/R   Big ran last night
Guided Weapon
Res Sig
Shadowsong
Bloodsong
Pain
Disenchantment
Exhaustion (E)
?

1 Mo/Me Smite,  used 2 different RS people from alliance
Reversal
Guardian
Air of Enchantment (E)
Zealot's Fire
Draw Conditions
Res
Channeling
Balth Aura

1 Mo  Vaelen ran, I'll find out today

1 Infuse  Lily ran, not sure

1 Me/A    Oma ran,  Illusion + dash  flag runner
Crippling Anguish (E)
Dash
Dark Escape
Conjure Phantasm
Images of Remorse
Spirit of failure
??

When I get the whole build sorted I will repost in a new thread so we dont have to pick through 20 posts to figure it out.

Punt, you're getting better at targeting, your instincts are good, follow them unless we tell you a different target.   Your calling was much better last night.    Overall I think we can handle any team out there, everyone just needs to not get psyched out when we fight a top 50 team.   Stay cool dammit!  B)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 02:06:23 PM by Johnny »

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 04:16:33 PM »
Basic Boon/Prot

Reversal of Fortune
Guardian
Mend Cond.
Prot Spirit
I-Hex
Energy Drain {E}
Divine Boon
Contomplation of Purity

Divine Favor - 12+1+3
Protection - 9+1
Inspiration - 9
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Amokk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 04:43:15 PM »
ok we kicked ass with this yesterday, im gonna try reposting a more refined version of the build with what we used yesterday

Punt, you're getting better at targeting, your instincts are good, follow them unless we tell you a different target.   Your calling was much better last night.    Overall I think we can handle any team out there, everyone just needs to not get psyched out when we fight a top 50 team.   Stay cool dammit!  B)
[snapback]31908[/snapback]

Thanks J,  

It felt like the warriors were accomplishing much more - alot more.  Put all our focus on the Mesmers/Rangers/Smiters to divert their attention, then Spike a Monk and immediately execute operation "Monks are in Season".  

I can't count how many times Leo and I would jump one monk and then hopscotch to the next one to take him down as well and just follow the Domino effect across the whole team.

The Guided Weapons became very effective once we worked out the timing.  Call the spike and by the time I get to 1 I've got Guided.  Another perk of the skill was being able to spike through Ward Against Melee, very nice little perk there.

Only change I made to Sloaner's Build was Bull's Strike over Protector's Strike I believe - Personal Preference since I brought KD gloves.

Eviscerate
Axe Rake
Executioner's Strike
Bull's Strike
Frenzy
Dash
"Shield's Up"
Rez

Gave Leo the Siphon Speed, didn't make much use of Shield's up all that often do to a lack of Ranger heavy Teams...honestly I almost wish we had brought both W/A's with Siphon Speed...but hey, no biggie if the casters like the SU, its only one slot and I did use if for Archer Pushes in the enemy base.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 04:44:50 PM by Amokk »

Offline Alfred P Sloaner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 05:31:55 PM »
Sup guys.... It seems like everyone is doing good in GvG... I'm proud of you guys for steppin it up while i was gone.  I'l be on tonight around 10pm tonight for some gvg hopefully if yall are still going.  Well all i can say is that its great to be back and lets fuckin own some NooBz!!!