Author Topic: 420's New Compy!  (Read 31655 times)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 420's New Compy!
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2011, 06:52:42 PM »
Figured it'd be the router. Sounds like you're almost set, coolfish.

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »
What I don't get is why isn't 420 using the older system to power the nwserver :P
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2011, 02:16:46 AM »
What I don't get is why isn't 420 using the older system to power the nwserver :P
Throbble and I live in a 100-year-old apartment building. If we have both our computers on, and we try to use the toaster while cooking something in the microwave the breaker switch will trigger and I have to walk down to the basement to turn our power back on by cranking some antiquated Frankensteinesk mechanical device. So I'm a little wary about adding another burden to our electrical system. (I don't think Throbble will go without lights and alarm clock.)

I may do some tests with it later but I hate resetting the clocks. At this point I think running the server is no longer an issue, it's the in-game sound that I need to deal with, but it would be nice to have a 24/7 server just to see if we get anyone during the server's down time (1am-9am Pacific Time).

EDIT: Just realized I forgot to restart the server after I accidentally shut down Windows (still getting used to the interface). I'll run it all night tonight and see if anyone joins.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:42:36 AM by 420 »

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: July 31, 2011, 03:35:09 AM »
I hope those computers are on a UPS

:S

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: July 31, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »
I hope those computers are on a UPS

:S
Heh, yeah right. They are on surge protectors plugged into extension cords. Because, of course, safety is my greatest concern.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2011, 01:51:48 PM »
Heh, yeah right. They are on surge protectors plugged into extension cords. Because, of course, safety is my greatest concern.

*wallops you upside the head*

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2011, 03:09:37 PM »
*wallops you upside the head*
I get that from Throbble enough already.

Anyway, I did some research and it turns out RealTek are a bunch of lying bastards. They claim to support all audio standards without giving any details.

One of the things they leave out is that they don't support EAX because that is a Sound Blaster standard. But, the good news is Sound Blaster has always made its newest EAX version (5.0 right now I think) backward compatible. So I should just be able to go buy their newest card.

-JJ

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 04:53:45 PM »
I get that from Throbble enough already.

Anyway, I did some research and it turns out RealTek are a bunch of lying bastards. They claim to support all audio standards without giving any details.

One of the things they leave out is that they don't support EAX because that is a Sound Blaster standard. But, the good news is Sound Blaster has always made its newest EAX version (5.0 right now I think) backward compatible. So I should just be able to go buy their newest card.

-JJ
Lmfao, for good reason it seems. :P

I've always been brand loyal to Creative when it comes to speakers and sound cards. I don't have any qualms about recommending them, although I've always liked Realtek as well, I would never buy one of their cards over a Creative card. I would definitely recommend the Sound Blaster card you're looking at, or a different Creative sound card.
If you're buying online... Newegg? :P

Your selection on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024
Creative Labs cards on Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008658%2050001137&IsNodeId=1&name=Creative%20Labs&Order=RATING

More on that card: http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=Creative+70SB088000004+Sound+Blaster+X-Fi+Titanium&cid=12938495148427484916&os=sellers
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 04:57:01 PM by Soul Sojourner »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2011, 01:41:47 PM »
Cool, I might buy from Newegg, but I'm still bitter about the Egg Head stores closing down. Now I have to walk an extra 1/2 mile to get to Central Computers. Also, I like to support local businesses when I can. Though Tony was a bit of a douche for telling me the on-board RealTek would be fine even though I told him I was building a gaming machine.

One question, I got a couple USB ports on the front of my case (very convenient for headphones and memory sticks) and they plug into the motherboard. If I install a Sound Blaster card will I have to plug my headphones directly into the card or how does that all work? (Damn these new fangled devices!)

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
Cool, I might buy from Newegg, but I'm still bitter about the Egg Head stores closing down. Now I have to walk an extra 1/2 mile to get to Central Computers. Also, I like to support local businesses when I can. Though Tony was a bit of a douche for telling me the on-board RealTek would be fine even though I told him I was building a gaming machine.

One question, I got a couple USB ports on the front of my case (very convenient for headphones and memory sticks) and they plug into the motherboard. If I install a Sound Blaster card will I have to plug my headphones directly into the card or how does that all work? (Damn these new fangled devices!)

Sound cards should have front-port headers on the PCB somewhere. I would HIGHLY recommend getting shielded cables and modifying your front port board to ground the USB OFF OF THE CASE AND NOT THE FREAKING MIC. It's a cost-saving measure they 'all' use and it results in a whine/buzz every time you use the front audio port....kind of like listening to an AM station while running the microwave.

Also, this 'Tony' was right...not his fault you play'n old-ass games :P

PS: I never liked EAX made the sound...um...(Sound) like it was coming from a metal pipe....very hollow.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2011, 06:46:03 PM »

Wanna know a secret... *shhhh* I'm using onboard Realtek myself, and I have no problem with any of my games, including NWN, of course, I don't care about EAX either... soo.... Bah, I support local businesses too, if and when they're not trying to rip me off. Otherwise, I buy online. Anyway, Newegg is kinda local, it's based in Whittier, California. Not the same city as you, but it's still in Cali.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »
Sound cards should have front-port headers on the PCB somewhere. I would HIGHLY recommend getting shielded cables and modifying your front port board to ground the USB OFF OF THE CASE AND NOT THE FREAKING MIC. It's a cost-saving measure they 'all' use and it results in a whine/buzz every time you use the front audio port....kind of like listening to an AM station while running the microwave.
Is there a way to check the cables that came with the case to see if they are shielded already? (I guess I could just check for the buzz after I install the card.) And how do I go about modifying my front port board to, uh, do that thing you said.

Also, this 'Tony' was right...not his fault you play'n old-ass games :P
Well, at this rate I'll have to move into a bigger place and set up my Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz Win XP, Pentium 4 2.4 GHz Win 2000, Pentium III 800 MHz Win 2000, and uh, I got a couple Pentium or Pentium 2 computers in the corner. Think they are running Windows for Workgroups 3.11 or maybe something as cool as Windows 95.

Damn, I need a bigger Ethernet switch and a bunch of ancient network cards!

PS: I never liked EAX made the sound...um...(Sound) like it was coming from a metal pipe....very hollow.

Wanna know a secret... *shhhh* I'm using onboard Realtek myself, and I have no problem with any of my games, including NWN, of course, I don't care about EAX either... soo.... Bah, I support local businesses too, if and when they're not trying to rip me off. Otherwise, I buy online. Anyway, Newegg is kinda local, it's based in Whittier, California. Not the same city as you, but it's still in Cali.
Screw you guys! *sniff* I love my EAX.

Yeah Newegg might be local but I'll never forget the day I had to wade through the human filth in downtown San Francisco only to find the Egg Head closed with a sign that said "Find us online at www.newegg.com. Fuckers.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2011, 09:05:28 PM »
No, the 'proper' method of shielding is too expensive

Some DYI Shielding: http://www.evga.com/forumsarchive/tm.asp?m=100726856&mpage=1&key=&#100726856

If you want to do it "right": http://www.zippertubing.com/EMI-Shielded-Heat-Shrink-Tubing.aspx

You'll need to shield every wire bundle that goes to the front panel...that means:

-Power, Reset button
-USB
-Firewire
-Mic
-Audio

*each need to be shield individually, so if you have 2 seperate USB 'heat shrinked cables'....you'll need two separate shields.

Now mind you you can go a 'cheaper' route and just bundle all non-audio cables together; shield those (prevent leak). And then shield Audio and mic (prevent absorption). But you'll suffer front-USB transfer speed issues, nothing "OMFG, IT WUN WERK!"...but I like to over engineer :P

In fact, first use the tin foil method (first link) to see if it helps before spending on the professional-grade shielding (if you want to that is)

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2011, 03:27:00 AM »
Yeah Newegg might be local but I'll never forget the day I had to wade through the human filth in downtown San Francisco only to find the Egg Head closed with a sign that said "Find us online at www.newegg.com. Fuckers.
Once You Know, You Newegg.®

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 01:06:22 AM »
Okay real quick, I am looking at giving my rig it's final huzzah before i REALLY have to buy a new one and I have forgotten many things. My situation is this: My current graphic card is a PCIE x16 bus. When I look for that online I only see PCIE 2.0 x16. I am pretty sure that the 2.0 is the extended name but I cannot remember. Am I okay with this or is it, "No you fool! you've got that.. *BANG!*" -end of line-
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2012, 09:19:11 AM »
Okay real quick, I am looking at giving my rig it's final huzzah before i REALLY have to buy a new one and I have forgotten many things. My situation is this: My current graphic card is a PCIE x16 bus. When I look for that online I only see PCIE 2.0 x16. I am pretty sure that the 2.0 is the extended name but I cannot remember. Am I okay with this or is it, "No you fool! you've got that.. *BANG!*" -end of line-

PCIe (1.0) x16 and PCIe (2.0) x16

It'll be like USB 1.0 vs 2.0. The card or Bus will match the other.

So if you have a 2.0 card it'll down-clock to the 1.0 bus. And vice versa.

Personally, I would hold off. The new PCIe 3.0 cards should be coming out later this year so the 2.0 cards from both AMD (ATI) and Nvidia will go down in price.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2012, 10:23:31 PM »
Depending on what video card he has now he can upgrade a lot for not a lot of $.  No real need to hold off.  Get a new vid card for D3.

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »
I'm just saying it looks like the Kepler cards are about to ship; probably summer (earlier or end).

Cuch, what mobo & card you got. You did'n tell us :P

Offline cuchulann

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2012, 09:14:46 PM »
It the board from a Dell XPS 410. Nothing too fancy and a bit old now. It can only handle 4 GB ram and the compatible vid cards available now are few and inexpensive. I'm running a G force 8800 right now. It works okay but with newer games I get a little slowdown when it starts dipping into virtual memory and I have to turn the cards fan up a bit to keep it at a stable temp. Most of what I am seeing recommended are a  few radeons with not so hot reviews from previous owners, and in nvidia the GT 520.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 09:37:56 PM by cuchulann »
One Less Car - SF Bicycle Coalition

Offline Illutian

• The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:47 PM »
Oh...a Dell.

GT/S 200 series is about all you'll be able to do with the POS power supplies they ship in those. And good luck finding a "Dell Custom" PSU; hate Dell.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:25 PM »
Oh...a Dell.

GT/S 200 series is about all you'll be able to do with the POS power supplies they ship in those. And good luck finding a "Dell Custom" PSU; hate Dell.
Unfortunately, I have to agree here. I got a Dell 410 and the power supply couldn't handle the nVidia GeForce GTX 460 SE that I bought for it. Which led me to buy a brand new system. Though the people at Central Computers said they replace/upgrade a lot of Dell power supplies. (Ask for Tony.)