Author Topic: Popups  (Read 27361 times)

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« on: June 21, 2006, 02:47:13 PM »
Is it just my computer, or are there really popups on lm?

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 02:48:48 PM »
Nope no popups. YOU'VE GOT..... ADWARE!!!!

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 03:33:47 PM »
Spysweeper is a good thing to have.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2006, 04:16:07 PM »
if you got that thingie that opens a pop up like each 10-15 mins whatever youre doing im sorry for you  :unsure:  i had that and i tried to remove it with all possible ways without success but maybe its just a little harmless spyware you can remove easily.

some programs ive used:
-Addaware
-Spybot search & destroy
-Microsoft antispyware

those are the best spyware/adware removers in my opinion

Offline nathan

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 05:59:54 PM »
Thanks for the help guys! I downloaded some free software called Ad-Aware. It has an awesome rating, and did the job for me.

http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Person...ubj=dl&tag=top5

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2006, 07:07:18 PM »
The best ones are bought. =) Tyreal, why not just look for it yourself? Spyware and viruses are easy to remove, especially if you know when you got them.

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 12:32:41 PM »
Not because you have to pay for it means it has to be better. somes are somes not.
i dont pay/have paid for any programs/games (besides NWN) so its the best for me, cos its FREE  :D
and isnt that easy to remove a good virus like the one i got on old pc, i knew the virus, i knew its name, its location in harddrive and even its location in windows registry and it just would never go away wherever thing i did.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 05:07:02 PM »
Not because you have to pay for it means it has to be better. somes are somes not.
i dont pay/have paid for any programs/games (besides NWN) so its the best for me, cos its FREE  :D
and isnt that easy to remove a good virus like the one i got on old pc, i knew the virus, i knew its name, its location in harddrive and even its location in windows registry and it just would never go away wherever thing i did.
[snapback]30187[/snapback]
First, I know it doesn't mean it's best if it's bought, but seeing as I have an awesome one, and had to buy it. And it's far better than any of the free ones I have tried, which are alot, I base my opinion off of my experience.

Then you aren't completely removing it. Most viruses aren't just 'one' file either, normally they have a few. If it keeps coming back, then most likely you are missing some of it's files, that isn't limited to the files that run the virus, but also any spyware and adware it brings with it.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2006, 05:51:33 AM »
Tyrael, to further help you. I will recommend a couple programs to you.

When it comes to spyware and adware, the top program I recommend is. Spyware Doctor. This baby costs $30, BUT you can download the free scanner. Now, it won't remove the spyware and adware it finds, but who cares? If you're good enough with computers, just look at the log and remove each one manually. If not, then maybe just download it to see how many you REALLY have. LOL.

Here's a link: http://www.pctools.com/spyware-doctor/

I actually have the fully registered version of Spyware Begone, but I would recommend the doc over that. And they cost the same too, the doc is better though.

For Antivirus, I would recommend avast! This also costs money, IF you use the professional version. In fact, they offer the home version free. And trust me when I say, it's as good as any paid for one, actually I would recommend it over paid for ones. I uninstalled Norton for this! (Norton sucks balls anyway) =P

Here's a link: http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2006, 09:00:23 AM »
i already used spyware doctor b4 and it doesnt detect anything else from the free ones i use.
for antivirus i got mcafee it came with adsl as an offer i only had to pay like 2$ more for adsl and mcaffee.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2006, 04:19:43 PM »
Well, I was just trying to help. Spyware Doctor found 185 spies for me when I had 2 free ones and a paid for one that didn't. I hate Mcafee rofl, though Norton is worse.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2006, 10:55:14 AM »
Of course Norton is worse, I have Norton Internet Securtiy and that does NOT include any kind of spyware/adware protection besides what overlaps into other areas.

Because of this, I also have Spysweeper installed on my computer. $20 a year gets me the best spyware protection/remover i have ever had.
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
Popups
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2006, 08:56:00 PM »
Spysweeper is good, and scans fast. However, it has one flaw in my opinion. And that is it's cpu usage and it's slow loading.