Author Topic: An RPG by any other name...  (Read 20032 times)

Offline Tyrael

• View Profile
    • Email
An RPG by any other name...
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2006, 05:47:56 PM »
aw i have to write my post again lucidmagic went down just when i clicked on the post button >_<

anyways these are my favourite RPGs:

1. Final Fantasy VII, i think everyone knows it :P, has a 9.5 on gamespot but it deserves a 10 ^^!! best story ever.
FFVII
2. Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross (chrono trigger 2), Chrono Cross has a 10 and it deserves it, has 30 playable characters to join ur team of 3 chars,  final fantasy like with different battle system, with a good story.
Chrono Cross
3. Vagrant Story, you play as Ashley Riot a Riskbreaker (kind of medial secret agent) who got hes wife and son murdered. Really nice story too, has a 9.6.
Vagrant Story

To Hell:
ohh beware of the mature guy !!!  &lt;_&lt; you were still wrong!! lol, j/k
BTW i played the super mario RPG too it was fun but not played much cos it was on a emulator and i ended playin Crono Trigger, cos my first decent console was the psx, jumped from atari 2600 to psx lol

exactly one like this:

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 05:52:53 PM by tyrael084 »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
An RPG by any other name...
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2006, 06:26:32 PM »
I think that game types have never really been clear. Weird shit like Action, Adventure, RPG, FPS, RTS are all considered different categories though many games span multiple genres.

For example, Battlezone was both a FPS and RTS but I think it was considered "Action" by most game magazines.

As for FPS games that are real RPGs, they are few and far between.

For one thing, the "S" stands for "shooter" which implies a more modern setting (no I don't consider crossbows or bows to qualify as shooters).

The only thing that comes to mind for me as being both a true FPS and a true RPG would have to be Deus Ex and Deus Ex 2. They had an in-depth storyline where you played a specific person who aquired nanotech upgrades and better weapons as you progressed and multiple endings that determined the fate of the world.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2006, 06:26:52 PM by 420 »