Author Topic: Your Thoughts on Factions  (Read 12387 times)

Offline maverick

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Your Thoughts on Factions
« on: March 25, 2006, 04:34:59 PM »
I feel like Factions is missing somthing or GW is holding things back from us  :huh:

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2006, 04:50:50 PM »
i love it all, the new professions are interesting, and the new pvp modes are fun. cantha is nice.

the only thing i dont like are the "duplicate skills"...ex heaven's delight is just a copy of divine healing, and revealed hex is just a copy of insp hex...

-Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 03:06:59 PM »
Well I just stopped by my local retail outlet and I was shocked to see that Factions is priced the same as the full game :o What the hell is wrong with Anet?  There's no way I'm paying full price for an expansion pack, I'd much sooner spend the money on a full game like say, Oblivion or Galactic Civ 2...geeez I'm not impressed.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 03:42:56 PM »
Well I just stopped by my local retail outlet and I was shocked to see that Factions is priced the same as the full game :o What the hell is wrong with Anet?  There's no way I'm paying full price for an expansion pack, I'd much sooner spend the money on a full game like say, Oblivion or Galactic Civ 2...geeez I'm not impressed.
[snapback]28885[/snapback]

its not an expansion pack, its a stand alone game that can interact with the original, like nwn and nwn2 only they can't intermingle as much

-Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 04:19:19 PM »
its not an expansion pack, its a stand alone game that can interact with the original, like nwn and nwn2 only they can't intermingle as much
-Elessar
[snapback]28886[/snapback]

That's a load of crap.  It has half (and maybe that's generous) as much content as the original game.  The game engines are 100% identical, meaning no time was spent in improving any game engine elements.  What the hell are they charging for? It's outrageously priced.  It's obvious GW isn't selling as well and isn't as popular as they hoped, so they are trying to save the ship by ripping people off with the expansion.

Nwn2 has a completely redeveloped graphics engine, plus other enhancements. It's an entirely different game.  It is incorrect to make that comparison.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:12:38 PM by Mo »

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 07:23:20 PM »
You forgot one vote option:

- Wasn't impressed enough by GW to even consider getting the expansion.

That's a load of crap.  It has half (and maybe that generous) as much content as the original game. 
[snapback]28887[/snapback]

You're being way too generous if you compare the number of classes, feats, missions, creatures, armor, weapons and various item mods.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 07:43:03 PM »
Well I was impressed with Guild Wars for a number of reasons.  It has outstanding graphics.  The action is very well paced, the interface is excellent.  The multiplayer functionalities are obviously superb.  However the PvP is not well put together and not very streamlined with the RP.  The barriers of entry to high level pvp is also excessively large.  Anet caters to the powergamer and leaves the casual gamer in the dust.  Unfortunately for Anet, they don't seem to realize that there are an order of magnitude more casual gamers than powergamers and GW will never reach the levels they thought it would while alienating this large majority.  As  I've mentioned in other posts they could have added a few more pvp options to make the pvp side of the game more enjoyable for the masses.  As it is, GW was a great RP game.  Too bad I finished it and the pvp is not fun.  Now that I've discovered Factions to be more expensive than most first-rate full game titles, there's no way I'm gonna get it, though it didn't look bad.  Marketing oopsie by Anet/NCsoft.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 08:39:29 PM »
Well I was impressed with Guild Wars for a number of reasons.  It has outstanding graphics.  The action is very well paced, the interface is excellent.  The multiplayer functionalities are obviously superb.  However the PvP is not well put together and not very streamlined with the RP.  The barriers of entry to high level pvp is also excessively large.  Anet caters to the powergamer and leaves the casual gamer in the dust.  Unfortunately for Anet, they don't seem to realize that there are an order of magnitude more casual gamers than powergamers and GW will never reach the levels they thought it would while alienating this large majority.  As  I've mentioned in other posts they could have added a few more pvp options to make the pvp side of the game more enjoyable for the masses.  As it is, GW was a great RP game.  Too bad I finished it and the pvp is not fun.  Now that I've discovered Factions to be more expensive than most first-rate full game titles, there's no way I'm gonna get it, though it didn't look bad.  Marketing oopsie by Anet/NCsoft.
[snapback]28892[/snapback]

You have valid points, but as for the PvP factor, players are screwed if they aren't in a decent guild and they want to PvP a lot, which is a major draw back. I think PvP definitely did take a BIG downward turn when IWAY was discovered and when people refuse to accept you if you're below r3 no matter how fuckin good you are, but other than that its currently fairly good...please consider getting factions when the price goes down atleast...although you would be a bit irritated by the level gaps and the lack of skill quests...it's still decent but definitely doesn't come upto the standards of the original game and is harder to go through, no matter, the new classes add good twists to it, although assassins have a hard time finding a place in groups generally..the only other real major drawback i see is that they put in a shitload of new skills, but more than half of them are either worth shit or just duplicates of skills already in existence...there are however, a few good ones, including the duplicates, lol

-Elessar

Offline Throbblefoot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 08:47:40 PM »
Anet caters to the powergamer and leaves the casual gamer in the dust. [snapback]28892[/snapback]
Excellent point, Mo, and sadly one that can be applied to many more game companies than Anet/NCSoft. Many titles have quality isssues that prevent the storyline from being completed (Evil Genius, Black and White, and Daggerfall to name but a few). Then a good chunk of them are simply too frustrating one way or another (having to build the perfect team, or having to do the same quest 1,000 times, etc.).

All the more reason to horde my pennies for NWN2. Now if they would just tell me when Spore is coming out...

-Throbblefoot
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 09:31:53 PM by Throbblefoot »
"No, I won't stay in the ground cuz there's no whiskey."
Zombie - Culann's Hounds

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 09:09:15 PM »
You have valid points, but as for the PvP factor, players are screwed if they aren't in a decent guild and they want to PvP a lot, which is a major draw back. I think PvP definitely did take a BIG downward turn when IWAY was discovered and when people refuse to accept you if you're below r3 no matter how fuckin good you are, but other than that its currently fairly good...please consider getting factions when the price goes down atleast...although you would be a bit irritated by the level gaps and the lack of skill quests...it's still decent but definitely doesn't come upto the standards of the original game and is harder to go through, no matter, the new classes add good twists to it, although assassins have a hard time finding a place in groups generally..the only other real major drawback i see is that they put in a shitload of new skills, but more than half of them are either worth shit or just duplicates of skills already in existence...there are however, a few good ones, including the duplicates, lol
-Elessar
[snapback]28894[/snapback]

Hehe well from your description of Factions, I think you should say it's overpriced.  At half it's current i'd have considered it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 11:01:02 PM by Mo »

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 10:01:23 PM »
Hehe well from your description of Factions, I'm think you should say it's overpriced.  At half it's current i'd have considered it.
[snapback]28896[/snapback]

well, maybe i'm an idiot for buying teh game while its so pricey still, but atleast i'm not one of those real idiots who payed $70 for the collectors edition o.o

-Elessar

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 10:58:45 PM »
well, maybe i'm an idiot for buying teh game while its so pricey still, but atleast i'm not one of those real idiots who payed $70 for the collectors edition o.o
-Elessar
[snapback]28897[/snapback]

lol oh wow they made a collector's edition for an expansion pack?  Now they must really need the money :P

..or they are just super greedy.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2006, 10:59:01 PM by Mo »

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 11:16:46 PM »
You forgot one vote option:

- Wasn't impressed enough by GW to even consider getting the expansion.

[snapback]28890[/snapback]

Vote options added.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 12:54:37 AM »
Vote options added.
[snapback]28899[/snapback]

Ooo, Thanks Mo!

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 11:09:50 AM »
PvP is really where the longterm gamers are home. If ZB didnt pvp regularly, I wouldnt have enough interest in GW to ever get on.

We did finish at r316 =( but next season we will do better. I think we are copying Rift's build (2 Thumpers, Tainted/MM Necro, 2 Recall Rod Eles, runner, and 2 boon/prots)
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 12:05:30 PM »
PvP is really where the longterm gamers are home. If ZB didnt pvp regularly, I wouldnt have enough interest in GW to ever get on.

We did finish at r316 =( but next season we will do better. I think we are copying Rift's build (2 Thumpers, Tainted/MM Necro, 2 Recall Rod Eles, runner, and 2 boon/prots)
[snapback]28903[/snapback]

was this the build that had the assassin that could practically solo the guild lord and his bodyguards?

-Elessar

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 12:21:23 PM »
I don't know how it is in USA but here GW F didn't had the same price as GW it had 10â?¬ (approx. 12$) off from normal GW so it was cheaper here.

@Mo you say they use the same graphical engine well...duh GW F is made for linking to your account and it must be able to accept the items armors or the travel to Tyria so it's really hard to change the engine if you wan't all those things.
But they added a lot of new stuff, weapons, armor, professions, items, etc...
the factions, alliance battles, new guild halls, new storyline, missions in my opinion Anet has done a great job with GW AND GW Factions!
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:09 PM »
2 - R/W Bunny Thumpers (Hammer Wars)
2 - E/R Glyph of Renewal/Rodgorts Inv spike
1 - Tainted Flesh spamming Minion Master
1 - Runner can be W/Mo with CoP or Purge, Sprint and Charge, Ranger with Storm and/or Escape, or Water Ele (my favorite, Blurred Vision-ice spikes-Ice Prison-deepfreeze-armor of mist-healing breeze-heal party-ether prodigy) or even a new assassin build including Dash and dark escape.
2 - Boon/Prot Monks (Reversal of Fort, Mend Ail, Guardian, Prot Spirit, Inspired hex, mantra of recall, Divine Boon, Contomplation of purity)

+

A good spike caller

=

A great high pressure build that works very will if you dont encounter a heavy hex team.

was this the build that had the assassin that could practically solo the guild lord and his bodyguards?
The above means no, any assassin in this builds would be used as a runner and possibly a caster support melee if you have the flag stand under control or just a Shrowd spammer.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 12:30:15 PM by Anheg »
My PS3 Game Library:
Call of Duty 4, Guitar Hero 3, Mirrors Edge, Motor Storm, Resistance 2, Rock Band 2, Soul Calibur 4, Valkyria Chronicles

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 12:33:23 PM »
A great high pressure build that works very will if you dont encounter a heavy hex team.

The above means no, any assassin in this builds would be used as a runner and possibly a caster support melee if you have the flag stand under control or just a Shrowd spammer.
[snapback]28907[/snapback]

Ah-hah...just was remembering one time recently, i think it was me, doofer, and someone else were scrimming against someone else because they were trying to figure out a build for an assassin they'd seen that took down the guild lord in like 5 min...was amusing, we ended up beating them with our rit spirit spamming, lol.....

-Elessar

PS: Remind me to accidentally tell people to send hex heavy teams against you ;)

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 12:38:08 PM »
Hey Gin, have you GvGed for Held the Halls lately?
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 01:54:50 PM »
@Mo you say they use the same graphical engine well...duh GW F is made for linking to your account and it must be able to accept the items armors or the travel to Tyria so it's really hard to change the engine if you wan't all those things.
But they added a lot of new stuff, weapons, armor, professions, items, etc...
the factions, alliance battles, new guild halls, new storyline, missions in my opinion Anet has done a great job with GW AND GW Factions!
[snapback]28906[/snapback]

Obviously it's "made for linking to your account...." and obviously it has the same graphics engine.  It's a damn expansion pack.  I think I stated the fact that it's an expansion in every post i made here.  The stuff they added do not justify charging the same as a full game.  In Europe it's cheaper that's good.

Offline Elessar Telrunya

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 02:47:05 PM »
Hey Gin, have you GvGed for Held the Halls lately?
[snapback]28910[/snapback]

no, i've mostly been working on my pve chars....this morning i brought a necro/ranger out of presearing...in the pvp battle, it was me and three hench vs all people...of course, because everyone in pre nowadays usually are nubs, they were levels 2, 3, 3, and 5...i beat em easy 10-0, lol...

-Elessar
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 02:51:00 PM by Lord Elessar »

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 08:48:24 PM »
got the CE version of Factions as part of my B-day present (cashed in the credit about 2 days ago) i think it's....um...okay. i got bored with GW...and since i'm playin L2...Factions just has...lacking written all over it :S
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 09:55:08 AM »
The only real reason to get factions is if you want new PvE stuff. ZB's leader (of all people) doesnt have factions and he does all the PvP with his guild he can.

I do make a decent profit off selling Jade.
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Razor Blade

• Uchiha Sasuke ~The one and only true Shinobi~
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 12:08:23 PM »
In Europe it's cheaper that's good.
[snapback]28912[/snapback]

I don't know why it's cheaper here then in USA really weird..
BoSnIaN pRiDe Is My MiNd, BoSnIaN bLoOd Is My KiNd, So StEp AsIdE, & LeT uS tHrOuGh, CaUsE iTs AlL aBoUt, tHe bOsNiAn CreW!

[IMG]http://www.ff-f

Offline doofer101

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 11:00:40 PM »
However the PvP is not well put together
[snapback]28892[/snapback]
pvp is the best thing in this game, i hardly ever pve or even use my rp char anymore.

anheg nailed it when he said u gotta have a good guild that can pvp lots

and WTF?! when did we ever discuss using bunny thumpers?

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 11:11:08 PM »
u gotta have a good guild that can pvp lots
[snapback]28948[/snapback]

That's a serious problem.  Goes back to what I was saying about barriers of entry.  If I want to casually pvp at any moments notice, GW is a bad game.

The heck with searching for a "good guild", or scheduling gvg matches on message boards or using teamspeak.   Geez if I want that kind of organized entertainment I"ll play intramural ice hockey with my friends.

Offline Anheg

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 08:14:49 AM »
and WTF?! when did we ever discuss using bunny thumpers?
[snapback]28948[/snapback]
Using Rift's high pressure build was a thought some of us had the night we were owning the r158 guild with Henchway (gotcha and I were on the two eles and Rods completely owned them). We thought about using it, but the thought obviously has passed since we never used it, though I would like to try.
My PS3 Game Library:

Offline Talon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 12:56:27 PM »
I don't know why it's cheaper here then in USA really weird..
[snapback]28930[/snapback]

Cheaper? How so?
Works out the same price in the UK.