Other > Computer stuff

Is this a graphics card issue?

(1/4) > >>

CleTus:
Within 10 mins of any game like NwN or Gw, my game either freezes or goes completely black, until I hold the power button in. Is this a graphics card issue, if anyone knows how to fix it please tell me. I have all the settings on low.

Mo:
Hmm could be.  Sounds like the graphics card could be overheating perhaps.

Try updating drivers. If that doesn't help, consider re-formating your hard drive.  If that doesn't help, it's probably a hardware issue.

420:
What graphics card are you using? If it is one of the GeForce 4 cards they are notorious for breaking due to overheating. If that's the case, I recommend a new card.

Also, Nvidia has been putting out some pretty sub-standard drivers recently so if you have a newest GeForce drivers that could be a problem. For instance, when I updated from driver ver. 56.64 to 66.94 it fixed my Guild Wars graphics glitch but made it so I couldn't play Diablo 2. When I reverted to an earlier version 61.76 it fixed both my problem with GW and with D2.

Mo:

--- Quote ---What graphics card are you using? If it is one of the GeForce 4 cards they are notorious for breaking due to overheating. If that's the case, I recommend a new card.

Also, Nvidia has been putting out some pretty sub-standard drivers recently so if you have a newest GeForce drivers that could be a problem. For instance, when I updated from driver ver. 56.64 to 66.94 it fixed my Guild Wars graphics glitch but made it so I couldn't play Diablo 2. When I reverted to an earlier version 61.76 it fixed both my problem with GW and with D2.

[snapback]26302[/snapback]
--- End quote ---

I'v been using a GeForece4 4400 Ti for 3 years now with 0 problems.

Tea-cup:
When the problem showed up? If it's a new card I would go to annoy the dealer :P If the card used to work right, I would check what changed on the computer since last time it worked fine. To see if it overheats, I would keep an eye on the temperature of the card and stress it with other things, maybe some benchmarking tool or so. And see what happens. Also, I try to check the internet to see if anyone reported a simular problem with your card and the mainboard. (somethimes just a time google helps) And like Mo said, it often helps to start from a clean partition and rebuild the system.

About the manufacturer,
I think ati is doing it a bit better at the moment than nvidia if you run windows. If you always use windows, try ati. Still, there's almost no difference between them. (and I never had problems with my nvidia cards) If you don't run windows, never buy ati cards. The drivers for non-windows (lets say for xfree86 and xorg) are just incomplete and bad (I still want to blow up my ati-mobile chip in my laptop, it keeps me from running a load of things). Nivdia is fine, the driver isn't opensource, but it works at least.

-Mel

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version