Author Topic: When Is It Out?  (Read 10242 times)

nathan

When Is It Out?
« on: June 25, 2004, 05:59:22 PM »
Does anybody know when Guild Wars comes out?!?! I can't wait, I want to get it so bad!!

Offline MageRender

• MSN Messenger - MageRender
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MagusSyndicate.com
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 11:23:20 AM »
So far, it is scheduled to come out on the 2nd of November. It is a long way from now -- but there is good news. The developer's plan to have another open beta (simillar to the E3 Event, only more refined with more content) between now and then. In one of their articles they also said they may also have one or two 'special events' that will last for a couple of days.  

Offline maverick

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2004, 02:58:03 PM »
Do u know when exactly will the beta test will be and where can i get it.

Offline Blood Angel

• MSN Messenger - Blood Angel
    • View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2004, 06:10:24 PM »
lol, I just found out that the game was started by three dudes that left blizzard's WoW!!

it's especially noted that it's the graphics designer.... and from what I see from guildwars, I have to say it's a great loss, hehe

guildwars graphics are way cooler
"Some birds aren't meant to be caged,
their feathers are just too bright.
And when they fly away,
the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up does rejoyce.
But still,
the place you live in is that more drab an empty that they're gone.
I guess I just miss my friend."
-The Shawshank Redemption

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi
Chill Touch of The Cold Alliance

Blood Angel, �§oulkeeper, Dawn The Lionheart and Shadowblade.

Offline MageRender

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 01:53:51 PM »
I can honestly say that the clouds and atmospheric effects look alot better in Guild Wars than they do in Real Life -- another good reason to lock myself up in a computer room and play it all night...

EL CABAZONO

When Is It Out?
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 01:55:43 PM »
How does it look "better" than in real life?  Can you possibly describe it a little more?

Offline Blood Angel

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 04:14:54 PM »
hey there's this amasing thing bout this game!!

it's not about how long u play and experience! it's how well u play :D

doesn't that seem like nwn pvp? just exstermely improved graphics
And when they fly away,
But still,

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi

Offline MageRender

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2004, 07:14:41 PM »
I can't really convey how amazing the graphics engine for this game really is and still give it adequate justice. So take a gander at this picture in this link  (click the skip ad text on top right corner) and perhaps you will see what I mean when I say the visual effects are eye candy.

Blood Angel hit the nail on this one -- Guild wars is a cross between any typical MMORPG and a FPS. Sure it takes some time to level up, but a lvl 20 character has an equal chance of killing any lvl 50 player out there (The lvl 50 guy just has more combat options). So skill in this game really is what matters most -- not just how many hours you can dump into it. Hmm.. an FPS with quests added in...
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 01:37:28 AM by MageRender »

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
When Is It Out?
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2004, 02:00:19 AM »
Crossbreeds......interesting......

nathan

When Is It Out?
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2004, 01:10:27 AM »
was there a first guild wars? like number 1?

Offline MageRender

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2004, 01:13:05 AM »
You mean to say that this is a sequel to some other game? I don't think so -- but perhaps I misinterpreted the question. The Guild Wars coming out in November is the first one.

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
When Is It Out?
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »
I thoguht it was the sequel to Diablo 2.

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2004, 06:38:13 PM »
Not really that would be Diablo 3 and it would be made by Blizzard.

This game is being developed by ex-Blizzard employees who made Diablo and began Diablo 2 (though they left well before D2 ever went into production).

They didn't like the way Blizzard was handling Diablo 2 and decided to make a game that was 3d, provided Diablo-like random item generation, supported team-PvP AND takes place in a non-pay-per-play persistant world.

It's more like the next generation of D2-like game.

nathan

When Is It Out?
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2004, 07:43:03 PM »
With GuildWars, can we host our own severs? Also, can we build our own mods & script them?

Offline MageRender

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2004, 08:00:41 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, but currently that feature is not available (I doubt it ever will be actually). Given the amount of information of high level detail that the Guild Wars environment has, it is inpropable that hosting you own server would be possible, despite the amazing technology implemented to allow even the slowest internets access to this game. Even in Neverwinter Nights though, a game who has outdated graphics and particle effects (still a great game though  B) ) still suffers from lag spikes and can only house a small and perhaps moderate amount of players depending on the host's internet connection.

As far as scripting goes, this also would be highly unlikely, if even considered. At the moment there is not going to be a toolset for any type of editing whether it be items to monsters, to landscapes. The closest thing comparable to editing of any sorts would be the fact that you can craft items using tens of raw materials. Guild Wars is setting new trends in the MMORPG market hopefully, but its likeness to Neverwinter Nights is entirely nonexistent except in the case of character classes -- which have also been heavily modified.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2004, 08:04:11 PM by MageRender »

Offline Blood Angel

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 12:17:26 AM »
first game I've come across with a toolset and script editing is nwn, I look at nwn as the only game with these features, but never expect it from other games.
And when they fly away,
But still,

LucidMagic
High Elf of Doriath
Alliance of Magi

nathan

When Is It Out?
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2004, 12:43:24 AM »
Not really that would be Diablo 3 and it would be made by Blizzard.

This game is being developed by ex-Blizzard employees who made Diablo and began Diablo 2 (though they left well before D2 ever went into production).

They didn't like the way Blizzard was handling Diablo 2 and decided to make a game that was 3d, provided Diablo-like random item generation, supported team-PvP AND takes place in a non-pay-per-play persistant world.

It's more like the next generation of D2-like game.

Intresting... could this be like a Diablo 3?

Offline Ivan-EoD-

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2004, 06:32:54 PM »
Diablo III is a totally seperate game. (If you look up Diablo III on gamespot.com you will find it, its in the works).

I know what you mean by the 'more than real life' better graphics hehe. Yeah, Im a GW nerd :P I sit all day on comp looking at old screnies and refreshing the guildwars.com page every 2 or so min looking for news lol. Guild wars is made with the E3 engine, thats the best graphics engine ive so far heard of.

Im almost sure there wont be a 'Guild Wars II' because with the expansions, thats quite enough stuff to get you going.

Gameplay in GW is very interesting, you get to go vs. monsters and vs. players. Each class gets roughly 75 skills, so it works out that each character has *LOTS* of diffrent oportunities. You guys all should come to the beta, I think they have open beta in August, no?

Guild wars is a game where you need to progress 'strategically' not 'characterwise', you need to learn new strategies, because there isnt too much diffrense between a high lvl and a low lvl. You can gain any of the abilities availible to you at any lvl or time, so a low level character just lacks some atribute points and other minor things, so im saying - if your a lvl 4 with nice strategy that can deal 200 dmg :P (Ive made it up, shhhh im not telling you >.>) going against some guy lvl 15 that doesent barely uses his skills, your gonna win.

If your thinking 'Ill wait for the game to learn the skills' dont! Your wasting time, many 1000s of people are already in great deep study of the game, so that when it comes out they can become legend.

In this game you must learn to comunicate with others well, if you dont youll just be alone, getting bad xp, and when going in a tournament turn out useless, because you dont have a strategy planned, always get a few friends, hehehe 7+ ;).

Every guild is allowed to purchase a guild hall, these areas are customizable and acceable by all guild members, ArenaNet plan to add a feature where you are defending the guild hall, and another guild is 'siegeing' it. (I read this in the newest Q&A on some site thats participating in the trip to ArenaNet). These halls will include a treasury, a meeting room, and an item storage.

Wanna see graphics again? Check out my characters from E3 4E ^^

Offline c r a n e_osl

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2004, 12:11:06 PM »
Sorry to disappoint, but currently that feature is not available (I doubt it ever will be actually). Given the amount of information of high level detail that the Guild Wars environment has, it is inpropable that hosting you own server would be possible, despite the amazing technology implemented to allow even the slowest internets access to this game. Even in Neverwinter Nights though, a game who has outdated graphics and particle effects (still a great game though  B) ) still suffers from lag spikes and can only house a small and perhaps moderate amount of players depending on the host's internet connection.

As far as scripting goes, this also would be highly unlikely, if even considered. At the moment there is not going to be a toolset for any type of editing whether it be items to monsters, to landscapes. The closest thing comparable to editing of any sorts would be the fact that you can craft items using tens of raw materials. Guild Wars is setting new trends in the MMORPG market hopefully, but its likeness to Neverwinter Nights is entirely nonexistent except in the case of character classes -- which have also been heavily modified.

No hosting? No scripting? Bah, the two very things that attracted me to NWN. And..the thought of THACO dueling but I digress.....

GW will be one of the few on-line games that I will try for 2 reasons. The astounding graphics and the large amount of expert NWN friends of mine that will be trying it out.

Hopefully it will be a better experience for me than L2 (which sucked). And of course, I will await NWN2 (2006) with great anticipation.

C r a n e_Leader of The Necriss and proud member of The Mauraders.

Offline MageRender

• View Profile
    • Email
When Is It Out?
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2004, 12:51:23 PM »
Just found this new article/forum combo that says guild wars will possibly be delayed to winter 2004/1st half 2005 instead of the original time frame of fall 2004.

"NCsoft has released their latest Investor Relations Report. Here is a brief quote: "In case of 'Guild Wars'..., original commercial launch schedule was 4Q, 2004 but could be delayed to 1st half, 2005..." So far, no official word from ArenaNet.

Gaile Gray has responded about the possibility of Guild Wars being delayed. Here is a small quote from her: "Might the window that was published in this week's financial report be accurate? Well, I guess it could be. Might Guild Wars release in the 2nd Half of this year? Yes, it might release then, too. It's sort of a big question mark right now."

Its just speculation -- nothing official -- so keep that in mind.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2004, 12:52:24 PM by MageRender »

Offline Who The Man

• View Profile
When Is It Out?
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2004, 01:46:22 AM »
I need to catch up, I haven't been to guildwars.com for like 2 months  ;)  btw nice site MageRender.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2004, 01:46:44 AM by Who The Man »