Author Topic: Portal to GodSpire  (Read 22585 times)

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2005, 01:33:24 PM »
It's better to have a small pc, maybe even without fans, to run the server. Less power consumption, less heat, less noise. It costs almost nothing anyway, you don't need a case/keyboard/ect on it, a small pc with a 0,6-1,6ghz processor and 256-512 ram is more than enough for a nwserver. (I don't recommend 166mhz, I did run nwserver on that, but GodSpire sized things really need more)

About linking the servers. It's a nice idea, but it would be even better if it wasn't centralized on 1 single server. If that one goes down, then all links are gone at once. Each server should make it's own little hall of portals and link to the other servers that participate.

Btw, 420, you want to replace gamespy by something better? (probably your ultimate dream, you don't like lamespy I think :P)

-Mel

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2005, 02:39:34 AM »
It's better to have a small pc, maybe even without fans, to run the server. Less power consumption, less heat, less noise. It costs almost nothing anyway, you don't need a case/keyboard/ect on it, a small pc with a 0,6-1,6ghz processor and 256-512 ram is more than enough for a nwserver. (I don't recommend 166mhz, I did run nwserver on that, but GodSpire sized things really need more)

About linking the servers. It's a nice idea, but it would be even better if it wasn't centralized on 1 single server. If that one goes down, then all links are gone at once. Each server should make it's own little hall of portals and link to the other servers that participate.

Btw, 420, you want to replace gamespy by something better? (probably your ultimate dream, you don't like lamespy I think :P)

-Mel
[snapback]22124[/snapback]

Buying extra hardware is not an option at the moment. I don't know where to place a second computer, and the extra money for buying it is also a problem atm. I have more important things to spend my money on.
G[/span][span style=\'color:orange\']w[/span][span style=\'color:yellow\']y[/span][span style=\'color:green\']d[/span][span style=\'color:blue\']i[/span][span style=\'color:purple\']on[/span] - Slann [span style=\'color:red\']Lord[/span] of the [span style=\'color:green\']Antediluvians

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2005, 03:47:39 AM »
Buying extra hardware is not an option at the moment. I don't know where to place a second computer, and the extra money for buying it is also a problem atm. I have more important things to spend my money on.
[snapback]22221[/snapback]

It would cost $10 to get a computer with Mel Specs.  In fact you could probably get one for free.

Offline Soul Sojourner

• Resident Awesome
  • Global Moderator
  • Nothing is true; everything is permitted.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2005, 05:04:01 AM »
[snapback]22221[/snapback]
Gwyd I have some absolutely unwanted and unneeded advice for you... Cheap Hardware? Visit www.newegg.com   Want even cheaper hardware? Visit the refurbished section.

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2005, 06:07:34 AM »
I appreciate all the advice but as I said, buying hardware for a server is NOT an option ATM!!!
G[/span][span style=\'color:orange\']w[/span][span style=\'color:yellow\']y[/span][span style=\'color:green\']d[/span][span style=\'color:blue\']i[/span][span style=\'color:purple\']on[/span] - Slann [span style=\'color:red\']Lord[/span] of the [span style=\'color:green\']Antediluvians

Offline 420

• View Profile
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2005, 12:33:51 PM »
At this point I'm thinking about dusting off my old 166, pulling it out of it's case and setting it up on top of the bookcase so it can run Throbbleserv 24/7. Only thing I need is a wireless network card.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2005, 12:34:04 PM by 420 »

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2005, 01:20:02 PM »
Be sure it has enough ram (mine has 80mb), and.. don't use windows. Loading a gui is wasting resources.

-Mel

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2005, 02:14:13 PM »
Mo, it seems most of us think we should try this portal idea.
So let me know what I have to do to create this link.

Offline Mo

• Administrator
    • MSN Messenger - cochy@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • http://lucidmagic.net
    • Email
Portal to GodSpire
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2005, 04:49:40 AM »
The portal to Ante server is now functioning in the Hall of Portals in GodSpire
let me know if there are any problems