Author Topic: Text above head of player  (Read 7134 times)

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • http://
    • Email
Text above head of player
« on: January 12, 2005, 05:38:26 AM »
I want to make a door that can't be opened.
Everytime someone tries to open it I want a small text to appear above the head of the player that gives him the reason why he can't open it or what he can hear behind the door. I don't want to use this FloatingTextStringOnCreature. Just this plain white normal Text (same as when players talks smt.)
What command to use???  :blink:
G[/span][span style=\'color:orange\']w[/span][span style=\'color:yellow\']y[/span][span style=\'color:green\']d[/span][span style=\'color:blue\']i[/span][span style=\'color:purple\']on[/span] - Slann [span style=\'color:red\']Lord[/span] of the [span style=\'color:green\']Antediluvians

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 10:11:22 AM »
Everytime someone tries to open it I want a small text to appear above the head of the player that gives him the reason why he can't open it or what he can hear behind the door. I don't want to use this FloatingTextStringOnCreature. Just this plain white normal Text (same as when players talks smt.)
What command to use???  :blink:
[snapback]15464[/snapback]
Only way to make that (as far I know) is making the player say that he can't open it.

-Mel

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 11:11:26 AM »
Only way to make that (as far I know) is making the player say that he can't open it.

-Mel
[snapback]15480[/snapback]

Oh there is a way. It happens a lot in the first chapter of the game when you try to open some doors or gates you are being told that the gate/door is locked from the other side...remember??  :)
but I'm still searching for the command  :huh:
G[/span][span style=\'color:orange\']w[/span][span style=\'color:yellow\']y[/span][span style=\'color:green\']d[/span][span style=\'color:blue\']i[/span][span style=\'color:purple\']on[/span] - Slann [span style=\'color:red\']Lord[/span] of the [span style=\'color:green\']Antediluvians

Offline Tea-cup

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:05:31 PM »

-Mel
[snapback]15480[/snapback]

Oh there is a way. It happens a lot in the first chapter of the game when you try to open some doors or gates you are being told that the gate/door is locked from the other side...remember??  :)
but I'm still searching for the command  :huh:
[snapback]15485[/snapback]
Isn't that FloatingTextStringOnCreature? As I remeber that it is.

-Mel

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »
But FloatingTextString makes a big sentence all across the screen and the message can't be read for long because it instantly vanishes...I will look
how it is done in a nwn-standard-campagne  :P

thx anyway!

oh btw mel, did you see my last post in the Antediluvian-section??  :D

Offline Illutian

• Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Man...
  • The Legend Begins...
    • View Profile
    • Illutian
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 03:59:04 AM »
i'm guessing u want the object to say it...least i think that's how it's done in the campaign:

void main()
{
//OnOpen
//set for OBJECT_SELF
object oPC = GetLastOpenedBy();
if (!GetIsPC(oPC)) return;
ActionSpeakString("PIKE OFF IT'S LOCKED!");
}
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 03:59:55 AM by Khadgar of Dalaran »
Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 04:22:04 AM »
i'm guessing u want the object to say it...least i think that's how it's done in the campaign:

void main()
{
//OnOpen
//set for OBJECT_SELF
object oPC = GetLastOpenedBy();
if (!GetIsPC(oPC)) return;
ActionSpeakString("PIKE OFF IT'S LOCKED!");
}
[snapback]15597[/snapback]
Thx Khadgar. I try that one.

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 09:09:49 AM »
You can make the character speak the line, the door speak the line, or in the combat box with the white thing that scrolls up and disappears.
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.

Offline Daniel1975

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 09:37:15 AM »
You can make the character speak the line, the door speak the line, or in the combat box with the white thing that scrolls up and disappears.
[snapback]15613[/snapback]
Yes and I want the door to speak the line not the character. I don't want this white line that appears and vanishes after two seconds.

Offline Wobbles

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2005, 01:29:27 PM »
Just make it so when he or she clicks it the door opens a chat window and it says:

(Door picture)  The door is barred from the other side

(Character chat options) Finish.

:D
I like to chew on things.

Offline Celestial1

• AOL Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - n1megakid92
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2005, 02:05:50 PM »
Or, if you just want it to say it aloud without the player responding just do the one door (OWNER) line and skip the response... :D

~Celestial
Yes I know... I have no idea why these random animals are carrying 148 gold and a magic fire ring. It will be forever a mystery![/span]

[span style=\'color:green\']It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

-Samuel Langhorne Clemens, Mark Twain.